Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bittersweet Victory

Please see me additional response to everyone

I know what you mean. My father died a few months before I had my surgery and I wish he could have seen me go through with it and finally start to lose weight. I know he was very concerned about me and my weight and although his health was not the best, it was still completely unexpected when he died. I tell myself I am partly doing all of this for him and I know in some way, he knows that and is happy to see me go through this journey. I cherish that my mother is still alive and has been able to see me go through this transformation.

She is looking down on you and she is so proud of you keep up the good work!

What an emotional rollercoaster of a year you have had... grief is a difficult thing to deal with, but after major surgery... you have not only succed in coming to terms with the loss of you mam, but also the loss of your stomach and the comfort that food brings... well for me anyway!

It is good to hear you be so positive about the last year and congratulations, not only for the weight loss and your gain in health but, also in a great outlook in life.

May God comfort, bless and keep you. Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot bear! Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted! I cannot imagine............:angel:

Sorry to hear about your mom. It's good that you were able to prevent the same thing happening to you - I'm sure she's happy for you now.

Lola, tears of sorrow for your loss and tears of joy for your victories. God will bless and keep you close...Kathe

My mom also was diabetic as well as my grandmother and my aunt, who were all overweight as well. My mom has been gone 3 years this December and I know she would have been super excited for me to have this surgery. I can't wait to have it done and hopefully prevent being diabetic myself.

I wish you well. I know how difficult and scary this can be. As you know this was the main reason I had the surgery. I am a year out and one of the things to my continued to success for me is to be consistent. I try to consistently exercise 5 days a week 30-60 minutes, in the mornings that way it is out of the way. I started out by walking up and down my driveway (at first I could only do one time) then when I completed 20 minutes consistently, I started going to the park. Now I do my exercises in my office (I walk around the cubicles) before any one gets here. So depending on when I get here I do 30 or 60 minutes (30 minute walking and 20-30 minutes using the walk away the pounds DVD). I also keep track of what I eat (I could use more consistency in this). I have a smartphone and have downloaded apps that track exercise and food intake. There is a website that corresponds with the food intake on my phone. It is www.fatsecret.com. You can use this site even if you don't have a smart phone. Keep in mind that success requires a new lifestyle for your new self. I believe that as long as you are consistent you can succeed. You can do it! When is your surgery? I you have time you could begin getting used to an exercise regimen. Also make sure you get enough Protein and supplements. Sorry I didn't mean to write so much, but I hope this helps.

quote name='bikerchick519' timestamp='1314797981' post='201576']

My mom also was diabetic as well as my grandmother and my aunt, who were all overweight as well. My mom has been gone 3 years this December and I know she would have been super excited for me to have this surgery. I can't wait to have it done and hopefully prevent being diabetic myself.