Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

moving to soft foods - how to continue to get fluids in?

Tomorrow I should be able to begin having some soft foods added in - thank GOD because I have no energy and can't drink the Protein hardly!! I am worried about still being able to get in my fluids? Right now it takes me from morning til night and many times I fall asleep with a few ounces undrank. So are you just automatically more able to drink once you can have foods? My physical therapist said soft foods can help the sleeve swelling come down also. What's your experience? Were you struggling to get your fluids in and all of a sudden you could with food? 2 weeks out today...Thanks!!

Tomorrow I should be able to begin having some soft foods added in - thank GOD because I have no energy and can't drink the Protein hardly!! I am worried about still being able to get in my fluids? Right now it takes me from morning til night and many times I fall asleep with a few ounces undrank. So are you just automatically more able to drink once you can have foods? My physical therapist said soft foods can help the sleeve swelling come down also. What's your experience? Were you struggling to get your fluids in and all of a sudden you could with food? 2 weeks out today...Thanks!!

I am two weeks out tomorrow and was given the go ahead to start soft foods last Thursday. I had become lactose intolerant. I find I can get my Protein in as long as I continue to drink the Protein Drink but am still having trouble getting my fluids completed, I am afraid to try to push things too fast. I know it will come with time. Hang in there it is great to be able to have the soft foods.

I have been able to count my Protein Shakes as part of my Fluid but I can't tolerate them - I am somewhat lactose intolerant now too - tried soy milk which seems to work but have vanilla which is too sweet on top the Protein too. I had been told not to worry so much about protein now but that I have to get in fluids which I have daily, short a few ounces here and there. So can;t wait for soft foods!! My appointment is late in the day so I keep thinking of dinner...what to have!!

Now that I started some mushies I have noticied I can drink fluids more easily now. I have had some mushy egg salad and chicken breast. It tatstes good. I notice for sure I can drink way more if I wait an hour after I eat. It makes a big difference. I can drink a 12oz of Water in a hour or 2 if my sleeve is "empty" I don't even try to drink unless I know i am empty. I hope all goes well!

Lisa that sounds wonderful!! I hope it works the same for me!!

Hmm, I haven't had any issues with liquids from nearly day 1. I am 12 days out and am on my third 24-oz bottle of Water for the day, plus 10 oz this morning of Protein Drink and another 10 oz tonight. Someone at the top of this thread said that eating mushies/soft food could help reduce swelling . . . I wonder if there's any truth to that? My food plan had me starting on some mushy-type food (refried Beans, soft cheese, cottage cheese) much earlier than I expected - on day 4.

My physical therapist told me that they will help reduce swelling also so it must be true. I sure hope so! I know my tummy isn't as small as some because my Dr uses 40 Bougie.