Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone

I have joined your group mostly for some guidance/education/information.

I live in Australia and had a Gastric Band surgery in 19/1/2004. At that time I weighed 180kg (397lb) with a BMI 62. That wasn't my highest weight but I have no idea what that was as I couldn't be weighed anywhere other than the local Grain Store and I wasn't going to be doing that!!!

Anyway in the first 2 years I lost 85kg (185lb). I had little problem with my band and I lived my life then as a "normal" person. I was simply not able to keep under the 100kg mark and hovered for 2 years around the 105kg mark. I had an adominoplasty to remove about 9lb of skin in 2007. Less than a year later I had to have a hysterectomy. So, anyway, when I had the adominoplasty I had the fill removed from my band to make it easier with medications etc. Between then and the hysterectomy I started to have my band refilled but it was never "quite right" after that. Then after the hysterectomy I gained 10kg (22lb) almost overnight! (ok maybe not overnight but quickly!)

I started getting severe reflux at night. (there is something particularly attractive about having projectile reflux out through your nose in the middle of the night!) Anyway I was put on all the various medications, had fill in and out, tried to live with it, and eventually after aspirating a bit and developing a chest infection I had the whole fill removed.

So, now, four months later (including a 6 week vacation to France!) I have gained probably another 15kg...I haven't weighed myself but I would guestimate that all up I am approx 125-130kg (287lb).

So now comes the crux of my story. I know I have to start getting my fill back in. I know that without it given another 12 to 18 months I will be back to my highest weight again. I also know I can't live my life with reflux like I have had in the recent past. I have just turned 50 years old (which I know that without the band I wouldn't have seen) and I have an expectation of being around another 30 years or so. I don't see that I can live with the band, with adjustments and reflux, (not to mention the fact that eventually this band will have to be replace I am sure) so I have started to think about having a Sleeve. (you KNEW I was going to say that didn't you?!).

I have been "happy" with the band, if you can be happy with reflux, blockages and upchucks. The one thing that really sold me on the band was the fact it is reversible (not that a sleeve was given as an option then) and if it turned out "bad" I could simply have it removed. I know the Sleeve isn't reversible and so I am a bit nervous about the "what ifs"

To use a really bad anology on a weightloss forum, I guess I want my cake and eat it too! I want something to help me lose the regained weight and to maintain that loss, but I don't want to think that I might end up regretting something I can reverse. So, what is it like to LIVE with a Sleeve? I mean everyday, 24/7 living with it.

Of course in 7 years I have learnt to "cheat" my band, but thats not what I mean. I mean if someone asked me what it is like to live with a band when it is giving restriction I would have to say it has some rather unpleasant sides to it. Obviously I am afraid of the risks of leaks and infections etc, but I hear/read the liklihood is fairly low. I am a lot healthier now 110lb lighter than when I had the band and I would use my band surgeon for the Sleeve and I have confidence in him. But I would really just like to hear about everyday living with the Sleeve. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated too. And I want you to be honest...if you think I'm nuts then tell me! lol. One really good aspect though is that my surgeon says he won't charge me anything over what the Health Insurance pays so I won't have any out of pocket expenses if I decide to do this.

Thanks for reading this long speel. I hope to be around learning from you guys for a while . I am off to see my surgeon for a chat next Thursday.

The sleeve is great. There are many people here who will attest to that as well. We have some people who are 1-2 years out and are living healthy normal eating lives out there. We also have a couple of ppl who have gone off the "wagon" so to speak. A lot are band to sleeve revisions and they can give you the best information. LilMissDiva and Tiffykins to name two. One of the great things about the sleeve is that you will still be able to eat almost anything later, just not a lot of it. That was my issue, quantity of food. Good luck and I say go for it! What do you have to lose? Except weight that is LOL.