Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Live It, Learn It, and Move On From It

Lived it:

1) I lived through the approval process

2) I lived through all the doctors appointments

3) I lived through the pre op liquid diet

4) I lived through the surgery and complications

5) I lived through the emotional ups and downs

6) I lived through the post op diet

7) I lived through an 8lb weight gain

Learned from it:

1) I am a much more patient and determined person than I ever gave myself credit for. Insurance companies suck, it took me a year to get approved, nuf said. I was determined that regardless of approval or not, I needed to lose the weight to live a long life. My fear, like so many others was being able to keep that weight off.

2) I learned from getting to know my doctor that he only has my best interest at heart, hence the appointments and everything that goes along with that. He had genuine empathy for me with what I was going through.

3) I learned that the if you put your mind to it and are determined you can do anything, the pre op diet was not as hard as I thought it would be and flew through it with flying colors!

4) I learned that I had to put my trust in my doctors hands, that he knew what he was doing and that I would make it through the surgery and wake up to find my family by my side. I also learned that complications do happen and that as long as you have a great doctor and hospital staff that they will take care of you to the best of their ability.

5) I learned that my emotions are freaking crazy! I was up one minute because yayyy no pills! I was down the next minute because I missed my favorite foods. I was flat because there was nothing I could do to stop my head from going through these damn emotions!

6) I learned how to re-teach myself how to eat. I learned how important the post op diet is and that it was in place to make my recovery that much easier and to teach me how to make healthier food choices.

7) I learned that yes, indeed, the sleeve is a tool and not a miracle. I tried to quit smoking and gained 8lbs. I learned what I can NEVER eat and what will cause me to gain weight at a drop of a dime.

Move on from it:

1) Regardless of the outcome I was determined to do this and move on with my life.

2) Went to all the appointments that was required and not required because I was determined to do this and move on with my life.

3) 2 weeks pre op and done, moved on to the next stage because I was determined to do this and move on with my life.

4) Surgery and complications be damned, I did heal in record time and trusted my doctors because I was determined to do this and move on with my life.

5) Life is full of emotions and you get throught them, if you can't then you get the help you need to get through them (THANKS VST and WLSF) I wasn't going to let them stop me because I was determined to do this and move on with my life.

6) No more living to eat, now I eat to live (love that saying :) ) food is not an enemy, it is a source of what I need to live, just like air, just like Water. I was going to get that through my thick skull because I was determined to do this and move on with my life.

7) 8lbs gained, ok, I know what I did wrong, I recognized the culprit, moi, I understood that I cannot do this to myself. It took me 3 weeks but I have lost all 8lbs I had gained and now, I am back on the "wagon" and determined to do this and move on with my life.

From my all time high of 280+, I am down 101+ lbs.

From the begining of my journey I was 240.

From the begining of my pre-op diet 225.

From the begining of post op I was 193lbs.

From the begining of insanity from trying to quit smoking I was 187lbs.

From here on out because I am determined to do this and move on with my life I am 179lbs.

The most important thing from all of this is that I am down to 2 pills a day from 20 a day and that was my main goal. I have accomplished that and am so very, very, happy about it.

Thanks, to everyone here for all your supporting words to eachother. I don't post a lot about what I am going through but wanted to do this today because .... thats right, I am determined to do this and move on with my life. For once in a very long time my future looks promising and bright.

Raine

Sounds awesome, Raine. It has been a pleasure to watch you go through your journey, and I am happy to continue watching you meet and succeed at your goals.

Raine, EXCELLENT POST!!! Brava my friend.

Every single day I wake up I have to remind myself that I'm eating to live, not living to eat. It's like that movie 50 First Dates with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. Somehow, Someday and Some Way it will just be ingrained in me...

Keep up the excellent work. You've really done fantastic!!!!