Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-sleevers turned away at the last minute ???

I have been on the journey to the Sleeve since Feb. I have done every class, every insurance requirement, every physician requirement and finally, my EGD yesterday was my last hurdle. I have been focused on the sleeve and nothing but the sleeve. I have a BMI of 39-40 ish. I didn't want any rerouting of my body parts, no mal-absorption etc. I have an artificial shoulder with neck issues and love my Advil since Tylenol does absolutely nothing for me and you can't take Nsaid's with by-pass the sleeve was my only focus.

Yesterday my Sleeve world was turned upside down. Upon waking from my EGD I was told that the surgeon had to take 5-6 biopsies of my Esophagus and 1 in my Duodenum, (no explanation why) but that I should go home, research the by-pass and possible make an appointment to discuss the bypass with the surgeon's partner who is a world renowned robotic bypass surgeon. I work in a Dr's office, so I assume that they found something that looked abnormal, possible Barrett's Esophagus? I recently started re-flux medication after I regained weight because I typically get re-flux or nighttime heartburn when I'm heavier.

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed, sad is actually the word that comes to mind. I am smart enough to know that if a surgeon I trust completely, feels the sleeve is a bad decision, then it apparently is a bad decision. Right now I can not even fathom a by-pass since I see so many people who look and feel less than optimum from the results. Is it healthy to accept a surgery you had no desire to have? or do I stay me and accept the fact that I am still on my own as I have been for my entire life.

Can you get a second opinion? I realize you want to move forward, but since this a major decision you should jump into something you're not completely comfortable with.

Oh my, I cannot imagine your frustration and disapointment,,,

I hope you can gain more insight on exactly why the sleeve is not be recommended for you.

Good luck on your journey and your decsion going forward on surgery.

I am so sorry. Maybe things will turn out ok and you will cleared for the sleeve. Don't give up just yet.

I would call the doctors office and leave a message for the doctor to call you back with an explanation. You need to be told what it is you have and why they feel this way before you can make any kind of decision. You have every right to find out the results of your test and what the problem is with your body. If they won't tell you on the phone, than get an appointment as soon as possible to get your test results.

Don't get upset over nothing until you know for sure.

I was told the same thing kinda by my surgeon. He was kinda hesitant in the begining to do the sleeve on my because of my history with GERD. I have had it for 8 years and sometimes it was BAD!! I did not want bypass and he wouldn't do it anyway because I have to take Ibuprofen. He refused to do the band also because he hate it.

Anyway, he made me do 2 upper GI's and upper endoscopy with bioposy also! I was so scared thinking they found things wrong with me. There was nothing at all wrong with me, just H PYLORI bacteria, that was all they found! Simple nasty antibotics took care of it.

I actually feel alot better with my reflux after surgery than I did before. I think it helped with it. He was so afraid that it would get worse, but it really hasn't.....knock on wood!! :D

Kelly

Definitely talk with the surgeon before making any decisions. Many surgeons are concerned with GERD increasing after sleeve surgery, but it seems (at least from this board) that people have actually had GERD improve.

Get the facts and make a decision. If you don't feel comfortable with the surgeon's thoughts, definitely seek another opinion. If the second opinion gives the same referral, it may be time to discuss the by-pass. If the surgeon has a lot of experience with by-pass and you need to have that WLS, then discuss your concerns and long-term effects. Maybe he can help settle your mind.

Best of luck and keep us informed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your replies, I did write this note when I was feeling frantic. This news was sandwiched between two deaths in my family. I have to say this was not a good week for me. I typically am not a person of great anxiety, but this was totally unexpected and I was so focused on the sleeve and as you all know, it's such a long journey and "hope" of a better future is so close at this point. . Long story short. My surgeon called today, they have the results of my biopsies and she wants to see me in her office Monday morning to discuss them with surgery options. The secretary couldn't tell me any more, said that she had gotten an e-mail from the surgeon who was in surgery today, requesting that she contact me. I did feel encouraged with the word "options".

Overall, I am in a better place emotionally, have thought about a lot of options and will listen to her on Monday and meet with my regular provider on Thursday to get some more "warm and fuzzies". Thank you all for caring enough to take the time to listen. Does this mean if I no longer am a potential sleever, I am no longer welcome here? :-(

biggrin.gif

Thank you to all that have replied to this post with genuine concern!! It looks like I am fine. I met with my surgeon today who said that all the biopsies came back normal without any dysplasia or Barrett's. I am elated! She told me about all the potential risks associated with reflux and the sleeve and many are an educated guess since there is no long term documented histories to go by. She compared my personal issues, the benefits and the risks associated with both the sleeve and the by-pass and said ultimately the surgery type is up to me. I will go with my "GUT" no pun intended since I have been a believer in the sleeve since day one and will move forward with that. Thanks for the support.

That is good to hear. I wish you much success with your surgery. Please let us know how it all turns out.

Khy