Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spicy Food

I can have strained cream Soups right now and I decided a local restaurant's chicken tortilla Soup (without the tortilla strips) would be really yummy. It's a cream-based Soup so it's thick & rich, but it's a little spicy. I was worried about the spiciness on my new sleeve so I combined the cup my husband bought me with a can of cream of chicken soup and a can of milk (now I've got the soup coming out my ears, luckily the husband is good at batting cleanup!). Anyway, it tasted pretty good and the flavor was still there - but I REALLY wanted to eat it 'fully leaded' with all the spice. Theoretically would spicy food be bad for my sleeve this early, or is it just a matter of whether I could tolerate it or not? Frankly I think my cottage cheese would be tastier with a dash of Frank's hot sauce and I would also like to spice up some of my cream Soups.< /p>

Anyone 'been there, done that' or have any advice? I'm definitely going to want to enjoy buffalo-style chicken breast (of course not breaded/fried) when I'm cleared for real food and I think I might just cry if I'm not able to tolerate the spicy stuff anymore.

Bumping . . . someone who's eating 'real food' tell me if you're able to eat spicy food? !? :)

I've been eating spicy food since hitting mushies with zero issues. That was around 5-7 weeks out for me. I have had zero issues eating spicy food, and I eat some variety, be it Mexican, Thai, Japanese, Korean, whatever a couple times a week!

Thought I should edit: If you are only a few days out, I would not touch spicy stuff especially anything that has a lot of vinegar or an acidic base.

Your stomach staple line is still fresh and healing. BUT, check with your doc. I did not notice your surgery date before my previous comments.

I too eat spicy stuff. It has only once bothered me and it was taco meat. Not really even sure if it was that, but I blame that! Woke up choking on acid. All the other times, I have been fine. I ate spicy about 4 weeks out.

Kelly :rolleyes:

Whew! :) I'm hoping my acid subsides when I give up the Decaf coffee . . . I am definitely not trying anything spicy yet . . . I am released to solids in 7 weeks so that's when I plan to give it a try.

My very first puree was Taco Soup and it was the best tasting thing I'd had since surgery. I was really craving something with some bite to it. I've had more trouble with creamy Soups and mayo than with spicy. I think it just depends on your individual sleeve. There's really no predicting what it will like and what it will reject. Trial and error.

I was a bit extra sensitive to spices and salts for a few weeks after coming back to "real" food but no problem from there on. I eat pretty spicy food (Thai, Mexican, Indian) on a regular basis. Just because I'm eating little doesn't mean it has to be plain or flavorless!

I have been on soft foods for 2 weeks now and I love Max& Ermas tortilla Soup, didn't have any problems with the spicy thank goodness as that is my favorite soup!! Also my program lead recommended Wendy's chili once we got to Stage IV and I have been tolerating that well too.

I asked my PA this same question. I got an "all clear" for franks red hot starting 2 weeks post op :-)

I love spicy foods.. any honestly im 3 weeks out and been adding spicy sauce to Soups and even tuna.. i have been good with it.. thus far.

:rolleyes: