Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drink?? Food??

athykay
Sign in to follow this  

After surgery????

Hi everyone,

After surgery? What can you and can't you eat and drink? I drink my coffee in the morning and then Diet Coke most of the day. I do drink Water at times. But I love my Diet Coke. Is that a total no no? And coffee?

I am having surgery on the 21st Dr. Lopez and I read some of you are on PO diet and I haven't been told anything on that yet by my doctors office. I have some time yet but I want to start getting prepared. If I can no longer have coffee and diet coke want to start now. The headaches from the lack of caffiene are terrible but if I start now it shouldn't be so bad. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kathy

Dr Lopez

May 21st

Immediately post-op, the thought of coffee just grossed me out. And I usually like a cup or two of really strong, unsweetened, black coffee. But for a couple of weeks, it didn't sound or smell appealing.

Now I drink it again. But I usually have a sugar-free, vanilla powder and about two ounces of milk in it, to get in my morning Protein. That's especially important to me when I'm more restricted in the morning.

I drink a silly product called Arrowhead Sparkling Water (I prefer the orange essence), which contains 0% everything, no sweetner (real or artificial), but IS carbonated. But when restricted, I have to let it sit for a while and then I stir it to let most of the carbonation out.

IMHO, a day full of diet Coke is not a good idea. Too much everything bad, and nothing of value in it. You might want to learn to love Water.< /p>

GeezerSue,

Thanks for the info, I plan on giving up my diet coke. I do like Water. But just a creature of habit I guess.

Going to start this week less and less each day until surgery. I know that it will be best if I get on the Water now. I have done it before and I can do it again.

I do like that if I feel like having coffee I can. Just want to know what others have learned from their experiences.

Thanks a bunch,

Kathy

Count down 12 days:D

Yep, I love my java joe! I have started drinking half/caf. Pre-op training, I suppose. Actually, I feel a lot better w/ less caffeine. I guess there's a sweet spot for caffeine, too. Not enuf, too much and just right!

I love Diet Pepsi, and Diet coke w/ lime, but have been drinking Propel Fitness Water lately. It has a nice taste and my kids love it. Yes, it does have sugar, but at 10 cal in 16 oz., it doesn't have much and is sure better than pop or koolaide. Yes, POP ... I'm from Michigan!

I have found in the past that catnip tea (in bags or loose) is a great tea to kick caffeine with. (And helps if you want to kick nicotene as well!) It is soothing and calming. Be careful if you have a kitty, thou, he'll try to stick his head in your hot tea cup!

Best wishes for you!

I love my coffee butright after my surgery I had no desire for it at all. It took me atleast 2 weeks before I had the desire to want to drink it again. Now I dirnk 2 cups in the morning with some powder cream and 1 packet of splenda. As far as my Diet Pepsi, I used to drink 2 a day and I have not had any in a monh I have really learned to enjoy my Water ice cold , it fills me up between meals and it has done wonders for my complexion :cool:

I was told by my doctor NO more carbination but I really do not miss it at all. I drink crystal light when I'm tired of the Water it gives me a different taste but yet I'm still getting my water in. As far as Pre Op diet my doctor only roccomends it if you are over a certain weight or have over a certain BMI...I was fortunate to not have either so a pre op diet was not necessary for me.

After my surgery for 3 weeks I live on Jello popsicles chicken broth water gatorade oranje juice with no pulp. I never thouight I would make it 3 weeks on liquids but I did and I am down 21 pounds in just a month most of the weight loss in the first 3 weeks.

Michelle

4/6/04

Dr ortiz

265/244/160ish