Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just don't know the difference

All this talk about hunger and false hunger has me so confused. I've been on omeprazole since I came home from the hospital. I've still felt gnawing hunger in the pit of my stomach. I feel it while I'm eating, after I've eaten, and between meals. It feels like a hungry stomach!! (I know for certain it is NOT head hunger, so please don't go there!) I ran out of my PPI so I bought some prevacid. I see my dr Wednesday, but in the meantime I just don't get it. The only time I've had reflux was during pregnancy which felt like burning in my throat. This is nothing like that. I know this has been discussed to death. I've searched and read topic after topic, but I still just don't get it. :( When you top this off with the fact that I haven't lost a pound (in fact I was UP a pound this morning):angry: for the past 3 weeks...it's just so frustrating.

I don't see info about how long you have been sleeved.

I'm 4 months out and I can honestly say I experience hunger much more now than I ever did before I was sleeved... and I mean in comparison to pre-sleeve dieting. I think the thing that concerns me about your information is that you experience the hunger all the time. I don't. First, I also absolutely know mine is not head hunger because I'd eat anything if I could. When that hunger is gnawing at me, green Beans would be wonderful. In fact, I don't really crave any "before surgery good food". The only single item I miss is diet cola. And I'm pretty sure my frequent hunger is due to my small capacity.

One hour ago I had 1/4 cup egg substitute and 4 trisket crackers. That totally filled me up. Now, I should not eat for 2 more hours. I can promise you that in one hour I will be hungry. And I'm pretty sure it's because I need more than 500 - 600 calories a day. To make this even less fun, I'm not losing much weight and never have. I think that after my initial 6 weeks on liquid my body just rolled into starvation mode (2 weeks pre-surgery, 4 weeks after). I think I'm being given the hunger signal to try and make me fix the problem. Basically, I think my body is not stupid enough to think 560 calories a day (yesterday's count) is enough long term in spite of me trying to make it think it is!

But the key is that after I eat, the hunger is sedated for at least an hour, sometimes two. I'm never hungry while I'm eating.

I don't doubt you are experiencing real hunger. But I have no clue what the issue is and it's great that you are checking in with your doctor. I guess I'm just posting my experience so that others who are pre-sleeve know that this might not be the cure for hunger if that's their motivation in having the surgery. I am surprised by how much and how often I am hungry but that was not my main issue. I did this for the Portion Control part and man, I got that in spades!

Thanks for your reply. I was sleeved July 12. I should have been more clear in my hunger. I don't feel it all day, every day. But I feel it a lot every day. I can't find a pattern to it, and I'm just so confused about this acid thing because I've never experienced it before wls.

It's also hard for me to understand my body's signals when I keep feeling this gnawing in my stomach. I don't want to stretch my sleeve, but I can definitely tell that I'm eating more now than I did at 2 weeks out and that kind of scares me. This is my last chance to lose this weight and I want to do it right once and for all.

When I heard about the sleeve and that it's a restriction only surgery, I totally believed that it would work for me. I felt certain of this because of the fact that when I was pregnant with twins I only gained 14 pounds. My babies took up so much room in my body and they pressed on my stomach so much that I could only eat a few bites before I felt just too full to eat. Even though I was very overweight, my dr wanted me to gain more weight through my pregnancy but I just couldn't eat. There was even one month well into it that I lost weight, which my dr was not happy about. Anyway...my point is, that I felt fuller when I had my whole stomach and pregnant with twins than I do now with my sleeve.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it. :)

When I asked my surgeon about it before my surgery he told me there was NO scientific evidence that acid caused hunger (he did not know of any medical reports that would confirm it) and therefore would not prescribe me an antacid unless I really needed it. I haven't needed it, so I haven't asked him about it again.

I just had a week where I gained 4 pounds and held that 4 pound gain for the solid week. Now, I'm dropping again - I think it had something to do with my TOM which should be starting soon.

I do get hunger occasionally - although it's not very often. But it's usually when I actually do need to eat, so I figure it's the normal thing.

Make sure you are concentrating on Protein first - and get in all of your Protein. Also, do not drink while eating nor for at least 30 minutes after you eat - it really does help keep you full if you do it that way.

I would definitely talk to your surgeon about it - he might have some other idea for you that will help with the hunger.

Thanks Nancy, I am doing pretty good on my Protein and I don't drink while eating. I do wait for 30 minutes after eating. Thanks again :)

DoOver, I wonder if you could boost your calorie count (and weight loss) by mixing your Protein shakes with milk (or are you not able to tolerate Protein Shakes?) My nutritionist said I should be making them with skim milk for awhile because otherwise I can't get enough calories in. So, I do 3 Protein Shakes a day - two with milk at about 200 calories each, one with Water for 100 calories, and then my little 2-tablespoon "meals" 3 times a day, mostly consisting of Protein. I'd estimate I'm at about 800 calories / day 90+ grams protein. I haven't stalled yet. I'm not losing really quickly, but I do lose a pound every 2-3 days pretty predictably, and right now my BMI's about 30.

I do feel something I'd call hunger during the day, but it's different from what I used to feel when I was hungry. I just feel sort of empty. Especially first thing in the morning. My mini-meals or a Protein shake takes care of it right away. After 2-3 hours I start to feel empty again. I suspect I'll feel full longer once I move out of the pureed food stage.

I don't know about this 'head' hunger thing. I mostly feel it down at the bottom of my tongue down the back of my throat.It's like a tiger waiting there growling to pounce on any unsuspecting food going that way - demanding more and more. He doesn't seem to care much about the head or the stomach. Thick Protein Drinks seems to work, But sometimes i nibble on wheat chex, Ice pops or some such.

All this talk about hunger and false hunger has me so confused. I've been on omeprazole since I came home from the hospital. I've still felt gnawing hunger in the pit of my stomach. I feel it while I'm eating, after I've eaten, and between meals. It feels like a hungry stomach!! (I know for certain it is NOT head hunger, so please don't go there!) I ran out of my PPI so I bought some prevacid. I see my dr Wednesday, but in the meantime I just don't get it. The only time I've had reflux was during pregnancy which felt like burning in my throat. This is nothing like that. I know this has been discussed to death. I've searched and read topic after topic, but I still just don't get it. :( When you top this off with the fact that I haven't lost a pound (in fact I was UP a pound this morning):angry: for the past 3 weeks...it's just so frustrating.