Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The double standard

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I had my first negative experience since my weight loss today. I went to the bank to cash a check that was given to me. Its not my regular bank, so the teller asked for my ID. I handed it over and then signed and thumb stamped the check. At this point the teller tells me that she needs to get an approval. She walks over to the teller next to her and they are talking. The angle that they were at made is possible for me to see the computer screen and I could see that they were looking at other checks I had cashed from the same account. At this point, I'm wondering what is going on, and am starting to get a little anxious. After a few minutes of this, both tellers come over and the original one then askes me how I want to money. I tell her and as shes counting it out the second teller says "If you don't mind me asking, how much weight have you lost?" I was stunned! So much so that I just answered her. To this she replies "You really need to take a new picture for your ID"

Now, I understand that banking is a business and they need to look out for fraud. While I was a bit annoyed by it I do understand why they were checking it out. What I didn't like was how the teller talked to me. Say the tables were turned and I had GAINED 100lbs instead of lost it. Would it be okay for her to say the same things to me? It was rude, thoughtless, and condesending. So much for customer service

i had kinda the same experience a few weeks ago when i went to get my blood drawn. i have kaiser and you have to show i.d. when you give them your card. i went to the back to get the blood done and the girl that was taking my blood said "WOW, you don't even look like the same person in your photo, you are really skinny NOW!!" i took it as a compliment at the time and thanked her, but afterwards, i thought, did she just say I was a big fat ass before???

I mean i know i was, but man, that was RUDE!!

some people just don't have any cooth!!

Kelly ;)

People really use no censorship when talking! You are so right. It was a compliment to you because you have lost so much weight, but what about the person in line behind you who has gained a lot of weight. RUDE!!!

You are right BUT if you do not change your ID picture you will get the same reaction. It's nice that you are you have lost that weight. I can't weight to get there!

Haha. My license has been renewed so many times that I actually finally weigh about what it says on my license: 180. Which was a lie: I'm sure I actually weighted around 200. But you can bet I never once heard anyone say "Man you have gained weight since you got that license"!!

Lynda

I plan on "losing" my work ID and my drivers license so I can get ones with new pictures and keep the old ones (once I get to my goal).

The teller could have said "sorry for the delay - we had to verify your identity - you don't look much like your photo anymore" Along the same lines - the phlebotomist at the blood bank could have said "you might consider getting a new ID - you don't look much like your picture anymore." Then they needed to STOP TALKING. That is hard to do - to know when to put the period at the end of a verbal sentence - and to DO IT.

:rolleyes: Absolutely! I look forward with mustard and relish...to "lose" my driver's license. I don't know when I have ever looked so bad and the angle of the camera ...I look like jabba the hut!

So about the forum question. I am sure if someone had been skinny and gained a lot of weight they would have had to ask the question too. It could have been done a lot better. I guess in today's world with identity theft so prevalent-- they had to check.

I look forward to NOT having a "Jabba ID".