Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Dr. C

I have posted a couple of times before about having problems keeping any solid foods down. I was banded May 1 and the first month things were fine. Progressively, my ability to eat solid foods has diminished to the point that I cannot eat any solid food without having to vomit. I have no saline in my band. I have had no fills and the band did not have any saline put in it during surgery. I went to a fill dr who did a flouroscopy and said that I had a lot of restriction, but the bank looked good and all was in place. Since then I have continued to have problems with solids. I went to my GP who has set up an appt with a Gastro dr for an upper GI for a possible hiatal hernia. Of course, it's about three weeks out. In the mean time, I am only able to consume Ensure and protien shakes (made very thin.) Is it possible that just the band itself is too much restriction? Could it be too high? Would you recommend something other than waiting this three weeks to see the GI dr? I am losing ALOT of weight, but I don't think this is the best way to do it.

:guess Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In these situations usually either it's a band that was too tight to begin with and a VG should've been used, or your it's a slip. Personally, I would do a scope, but the problem is a gastroenterologist might not have ever seen a slip or even a band at all, so he may not be able to ascertain what's going on. A repeat upper GI might help also, as slips can be intermittent. Whatever it is you need to get it sorted out soon, as I would agree that not being able to eat isn't good for you.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I have posted a couple of times before about having problems keeping any solid foods down. I was banded May 1 and the first month things were fine. Progressively, my ability to eat solid foods has diminished to the point that I cannot eat any solid food without having to vomit. I have no saline in my band. I have had no fills and the band did not have any saline put in it during surgery. I went to a fill dr who did a flouroscopy and said that I had a lot of restriction, but the bank looked good and all was in place. Since then I have continued to have problems with solids. I went to my GP who has set up an appt with a Gastro dr for an upper GI for a possible hiatal hernia. Of course, it's about three weeks out. In the mean time, I am only able to consume Ensure and protien shakes (made very thin.) Is it possible that just the band itself is too much restriction? Could it be too high? Would you recommend something other than waiting this three weeks to see the GI dr? I am losing ALOT of weight, but I don't think this is the best way to do it.

:guess Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Dr. C. Like most everyone I'm self pay so I'm trying to get what I can covered by my insurance (like the upper GI). If I need to go back to Monterrey, Mexico, I will, to see my original doctor. I really wish I would have given more thought to my after care when I went to Mexico. You are very kind to help the members in this forum.