Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle sweet cravings?

I am a recent member of bandland, and have found that all the good carb stuff goes thru rather easily, but today I had a can of tuna, and a basil chicken sausage from Sprouts. I took the case off and it went down fine! Figure ground chicken would be about the same.

For sweets I do Carbwatch ice cream from Braums.

MonaLisa!

This is the most amazing powder! You can go online to coffeebean.com and order the sugar-free/fat-free powder in chocolate or vanilla. (I like chocolate!) You mix it in the blender with ice cubes and a couple ounces of fat-free milk. It is YUMMY!!! You can also blend it with coffee. There is no wierd after taste. It costs about $9, but you only need 1 1/2 Tablespoons per drink. There is some Protein in the drink and low carbs.

To buy an ice-blended at Coffee Bean it costs $4-$5. So I make them at home.

Thanks for starting this post. Sweets are my worst cravings!

I eat sweet things in moderation anyway, a cookie here or there, that type of thing.

I could count on one hand the number of times I've had true cravings though, really strong ones. Usually that happens right before my period and I have a day where all I want to eat is Cookies, all day long. I just give into it to be honest. Its barely a blip on the radar, doesnt happen often and doesnt hurt every now and then. I just get back on the bike next day.

As a general rule I dont have stuff in the house that's tempting though. Giving into a very rare craving is one thing, but if there were Cookies and stuff here all the time, I'd eat too many.

I try not to get hungry. That has been easier said then done the last few months but I managed to do a lot better than pre-banding.

Now that I have a fill I am hopeful it won't be so hard. When I get the hunger pains I use that as a time to drink my Water while I prepare my next meal. The trick is to either have good foods available before the hunger pains get too intense or the meal nearly prepared. Once they get really intense I usually cave in but do it with moderation. If I am on the road I will grab something and take a few bites and then ask my sons to finish it. They can devour anything within minutes.

MonaLisa regarding eating chicken. I know the breast can be pretty dry for some but I prepare my chicken with juice from a lemon and it always comes out very very moist. Actually, I don't know why it comes out so moist so I will share my entire routine. First I wash the meat with lots of white salt and a cap full of vinegar. The meat should feel squeaky clean. Rise the meat of all the salt and vinegar. Season as usual. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top. Preheat a skillet, lightly very lightly grease skillet (canola oil...just enough so the chicken doesn't stick as the breast doesn't have much fat). Cook until done. The lemon juice will turn the breast a very nice brown. This is the only way I can eat chicken breast now. Anything else is too dry and causes discomfort.

Hope this helps

Now that it's summer, there are a lot of really good, really sweet, fruits available. I eat watermelon every day. I avoid bananas because they're so high in calories, but black plums, nectarines, and strawberries are sweet AND good for you. I know, sounds like I'm bucking for sainthood huh? Catch me on a bad day though and you'll see some serious Dorito crunchin' goin' on!!!

Good luck with the sweets cravings!

BTW - I make sugar-free, fat-free pudding at home; I think it tastes better than the pre-made kind.

Oh, drool, bananas - they're over $12 a kilo here now, since the cyclones in Queensland, horrendously expensive.

I love summer stone fruits too.

My candy of the month is M&M's

I been having alot of smoothies too. (chocolate banana, from a mix, as sugary as they make I am sure.. 68cents each)

and these chips, they are hawian or (cant recal the name, comes in a purple bag) they ARE salty and sweet.. in fact sugar comes before salt does in the ingrediant list..

I have been having many many meals consisting of these chips WITh M&M's in the same mouthfull... and sometimes I have spinach dip with it (new thing I never had before, I bet its sweet too! (like the way coleslaw is)

OF course I need to knock this off...!!!!!!!

I am not loosing weight and its all the munchie sweets why...

So per the first post.. I dont have trouble getting Protein down cuz I drink plenty of it.... and what do I do about my sugar cravings?

Nothing.

Nothing..

I try..

But what the F*ck that means anymore to me, I dont know.

(my fill is not tight at all right now, but that doesnt really matter much in regard to the sweeets I listed above... except I couldnt eat them in the morning, early afternoon, thats all.....)

I have plans again.. I think I will start saying "plan" instead of the word "try".... of course I see no reason why my plans will work out this time when they never ever have before.. but of course there is no way that will stop me from having plans and thinking it will actually happen..

SWEETS part of the PLAN:

No nesquick in house.

1/3 less sugar grape juice

smoothie maddness with splenda, berries, skim milk, ice... etc

NO candy bought at a staple 'for mom' "cuz thats all I can get down sometimes and I HAVE to have it" (bags from costco)

NO kid can run to small store for candy fix EVER.. (only I can buy myself candy if I am out and about and I go into store to buy it and its NOT for at home)

I already bought two giant sized bozes of reduced fat/sugar Kettle korn mini bags.. in place of the crunchy sweetness I crave..

sugar free popcycles (WHO cares if the real ones are 99cents! I LIKE sugar free popcycles just the same (rare for me who is addicted to sugar) so SPEND the extra money.

I dont drink pop much, eat sugar cerial much, or use table sugar.. so thats already fine.. and I dont buy fast food item drinks, so thats fine...

OH and I already bought a bunch of snackwells Cookies for when I crave cookies.. and to use them at home..

I am going to do a whole wheat, less sugar, dark green veggie diet thing..

thats the plan anyway.. I been stocking up and preparing alittle and when i get a fill, I will be all ready..

Hey Jack :eek: How did you know I was buying and eating Cookies !! I have stopped, and have gone back to the protein- in all forms. The key is not bringing it into the house- for if I do I'm addicted.

Thanks for the direct talk. Mona

Jack,

I agree if I am satisfied I do not crave sweets or anything for that matter.

MonaLisa,

I am with you. I am addicted so if it is in the house I am more compelled to eat it. The good thing is it never occurs to me to buy the junk food.

BOO SAID - This is the most amazing powder! You can go online to coffeebean.com and order the sugar-free/fat-free powder in chocolate or vanilla. (I like chocolate!) You mix it in the blender with ice cubes and a couple ounces of fat-free milk.

BOO - I ordered the chocolate powder and the Ice Blended FF, NSA Mocha & vanilla kits! http://coffeebean.com/shopproducts.asp?dept=41

Your testimoinal was enough for me to try it out!