Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So...Hello.

I am a pre-op patient. I have completed my 6-month diet, excersise and classes that were required by my insurance company. It actually has been a little longer than 6 months. Unfortunately, there was a misunderstanding with my one-on-one nutrition class that was required, and I missed it. I am making that up on August 18th. I was also told to schedule another 4-hour class on more about the actual surgery. I couldn't get in to do that until September 18th. My surgery date was supposed to be in September. Thats what I had my mind set on. However, I was told by one of the nurses in my doctors office that because I missed this one-on-one nutrition class, I will be set back further from my surgery date because it takes 4-6 weeks to approve that specific nutrition class...?

Before I heard that horrible news, I'd just had a conversation with my Surgeon about how he will send in all my paper work to the insurance company and if they dont approve it in a week, I should call them back and check up. Then I would be put on the Calendar to have my surgery around September. If it takes about a week to approve everything by my insurance company, why does it take so much longer to approve this one nutrition class? I'm confused. I'm worried that if I don't get into that class until Spetember 18th that even more people will be in front of my and my surgery date will be pushed back even further. I've already called and there is no room and there are 6 people in front of me on the cancellation list.

I'm trying not to, but I'm getting reaallly discouraged because my Doctor's office doesnt seem to be making me a priority like I thought they would. I understand that they are busy, but I am so ready to have my procedure done. I've done everything I was told, and I have to be pushed back because of the surgery volume? How should I be affected by everyone else's surgery? I can't help it if my insurance demands 6 months of classes and diet & excersise. I shouldn't be moved to a later date because of it, right? It seems unfair to me. I'm wondering if it is possible to change the surgeon and location of my procedure without having to do another 6 months of the classes and everything. It would be awesome if I could go to another office and show them all the classes I've done and they could possibly just schedule me in. Just like my Doctors office did to the people whose insurance didn't instruct them to go through 6 months of diet, excersise and classes.

I was so excited and optimistic about this all and now I'm just...bleh. I don't want to wait until who knows when to get my surgery because of everyone else getting theirs before me. I don't know what to do. If I could continue to diet and excersise and lose weight, I would just forget about the surgery. But, I need this. I have a metabolic problem and this was my solution.

Am I being a brat?

I wouldn't say you are being a brat however the big holdup seems to be the class you missed. I would call the office and ask if there is another way you can make it up, perhaps meeting 1 on 1 with a nutritionist or tell them you will be on call anytime they have a cancel. Call the day of ever meeting and see if you can nudge your way in. If you want you could call your surgeon's office and just say, "I'm a little perplexed at the speed things are going. If I were to change surgeons at this point would have to start all over?" They might tell you yes just so you won't change but it also might kick their ass into gear. Also call around and ask some other surgeons what would happen if you did switch.

CultLogic,

Usually when I ask "am I being a brat?" I am. But in this case I think you're being reasonable. I would call and ask to speak to the office manager. Tell him/her your concerns about the 4-6 weeks to take this one class. Tell them that you feel you're being put off because you missed that one class. Ask what your options are. Then write another post and let us know what happened.

Sorry you're going through this, but I think you can get it resolved. Best of luck!

Also, can you be a "self pay" for that one class? That way they don't have to wait for insurance approval. I did that so that I could start my nutrition classes sooner. It cost me $159.00 but it was worth it to me. Let me know what happens.

Aw, thanks! Haha yea I thought I was being a brat..( I'm an only child) so I wanted to get someone else's opinion. Unfortuantely, I have already talked to everyone I thought could change the speed of this process, but nothing more can be done. Thank you so much for suggesting the "self pay". I will definately look into that.

On the other side of this, maybe this is happening all for a reason. I am temping at an office until October and was planning to come right back into work after the surgery, hoping I could schedule a weekend procedure. I hear it only takes 4 days to recover but what if it is more? Also, my mother brought up the point that 4-6 weeks isn't THAT much longer. It isn't that long, but I wanted to have it done by Halloween!

:(

We will see what happens! Maybe something magically will happen and after my appt. In September, I will be put on the Calendar sooner than later...?

Thanks for your input! This site is awesome! :)

A program I was in at Celebration FL was doing the same thing to me. I changed to US Bariatric and already have a surgery date of August 24. The surgery is at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine, but all the other appointments are in Orlando where I live. I felt like a number with that other program but the people at US Bariatric make you feel special. When they should they could fast track me they were not kidding.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.