Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pork Rind French Toast

I bought a bag of Baken-ets pork skins today at the grocery store. I've never had them before and was expecting more flavor. I started looking around for ways to make them tastier on the web and found this recipe on the "low carb friends.com" forums. It looks interesting, I may just try it!

Pork Rind French Toast

1/2 of a 3-oz. bag of unflavored pork rinds

2 eggs

1/4 cup heavy cream

3 packets Splenda

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon egg nog extract or vanilla extract

Crumble Pork rinds up until they resemble fine bread crumbs (use your food processor if you like — or put them in a Ziploc bag, air removed, and roll them with a rolling pin.) Set aside.

Beat eggs well and then mix with remaining ingredients and beat again. Add crushed pork rinds to the egg/cream mixture and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken to a "gloppy" phase during this time - give it the full 5 minutes to rest.

Meanwhile, heat skillet or griddle with a little bit of butter or oil, and when hot, fry pancake style until golden brown on both sides. Serve with low-carb maple syrup!

This recipe is very low in carbs - according to the forum I read it only has 1 gram of net carbs.

I made eggplant parm last night using Pork rinds as the crust!

These things are great for so many things!

Faux fried chicken

Fried mushrooms (coat in milk then pork rinds, fry)

etc

I saw a recipe for Pork rinds that is supposed to taste like the cinnamon twists from taco bell...put a little butter, splenda, and cinnamon on them. I looked great in theory, in reality...I gagged. sad.gif

I used to make those (and pork rind pancakes) back in my Atkins days. These weren't included in the recipe you shared, but I would also suggest:

• Add 1/2 tsp maple flavoring in addition to vanilla (the one I used was called Mapleine and it's usually located near the extracts).
  • Use brown sugar splenda instead of regular splenda.
  • Heavy cream is used for the carb value, but you're trading fat. You can also use milk, fat free half and half (or regular), or the 0 carb heavy cream Trader Joe's carries (I haven't found it anywhere else).
  • You can add flax meal for Fiber, just offset with Water (start with half as much but it may take 1:1).

Day Dreamer - parmesan cheese (the kind you put on pizza, not the fresh kind) makes a great breading alternative, too. Esp. with shrimp & chicken.

IDay Dreamer - parmesan cheese (the kind you put on pizza, not the fresh kind) makes a great breading alternative, too. Esp. with shrimp & chicken.

I love this idea! I am obsessed with finding low carb trade offs :)

Thanks!