Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People carry weight differently?

I am 5'4, 230 ish pounds and I can barely fit on my 2X tops & size 20 pants!:angry:

That just goes to show you right there............I'm 5'4" and even at 230...cause I'm down now... I wore a 16/18 pants.

This is incredibly true for me. I'm 182 Lbs and just got into a pair of 4's and I wear Size Small shirts... I got in my first 8's at just before hitting Onederland. I was wearing 14's and 12's at around 230 Lbs. I'm 5'6.

Who knows why this is? I just accept it I guess. It's a reversal curse to me. I'll never weigh 135 Lbs. That would be me losing another 50 Lbs!! I don't think they even make clothes that small.

This not only has to do with how people naturally carry their fat stores, but also with how much muscle mass they have lying under all that padding. We've all heard that muscle is denser than fat and therefore 5 lbs of muscle takes up much less space than 5 lbs of fat. Distribution between the two is what makes the difference in a lot of cases, I think. Someone that is 160 in a sz 4 has way more muscle mass than someone at 160 in a sz 10.

At my heaviest, 270lbs, 5'2" I was in a size 22/24W pant, 26/28 tops.

At my lowest around 120, I am a size 2, I can wear size Xsmall Small tops, everything depends on the cut, shape of the clothes. Even at 125-130, I wear a size 2 pants, super skinny Diva cut from Old Navy, but I need a size 5, even some 7s in Junior cut jeans.

LilMissDiva weighs 50lbs more than I do, and is only 4 inches taller, yet we could probably wear the same size of clothes. She and I are built completely differently. She's way more curvy and muscular than I am. I'm stick straight, she has more definition, and her hiney stayed where I never had anything but a flat, wide a$$. She has a waist and I don't. I'm shape like a Cereal box LOL, she's hourglassy. . . YES, that is pure envious you are reading in my post bwahahahaha ! ! !

Are you serious, muscle weighs way more than fat , so someone in a size 4 weighing 160 has no muscle mass, someone in a size 10 at 160 has way more muscle mass, has any of you ever weight trained, muscle is way more dense than fat...............

Guest Rosalind

I was at the docs office today. They give you a little piece of paper that they write your weight on. I was sitting beside a lady that weighed 49 lbs less that I do and I could have worn the dress she had on!!! I do carry a lot of muscle. It is evident by looking at my calves and butt. My calves are very muscular and you can see definition when I walk and when I flex them. I also am very shapely. Although I will lose weight, I realize that I will still have that "wagon Ima dragging"!!! Muscle taking less room than fat but weighing more.............That has to be why I am heavier but smaller.

Are you serious, muscle weighs way more than fat , so someone in a size 4 weighing 160 has no muscle mass, someone in a size 10 at 160 has way more muscle mass, has any of you ever weight trained, muscle is way more dense than fat...............

Wait, what?

Muscle being more dense than fat means that all else being equal, a more muscular 160 lbs is likely to be more 'compact' than a less muscular 160 lbs. Size 4 is likely to be more muscular than size 10.

If that's what you were saying I apologize for trying to correct you.

i'm at 244 right now, but am can fit into all of my size 16s which would not go up past my thighs 3 weeks ago... i've only lost 5 pounds over the last 3 weeks, but because i've been working out like a mad woman and have gained a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat in the meantime...

i look about 20 pounds lighter than i really am... last time i got down to a size 16 i was around 220, but i was only walking to work out then, this time around i'm doing taekwondo and aikido about 8 hours a week at high intensity.. its making a huge difference!!!!

Guest Rosalind

You are incorrect. If you have a lot of muscle mass, no matter how much you weigh, you will look lighter than what you actually weigh. I have a lot of muscle mass which has been confirmed by every doctor I have ever seen. This is why I can wear (4) sizes smaller than someone who weighs the same as I do. Health professionals cannot guess my weight. Some people naturally carry more muscle mass than others....thus my comment: I sat beside a lady who weighed almost 50lbs less than me but I could wear her dress easily!

Guest Rosalind

If someone wears a size 4 and weighs 160, they have a lot of muscle mass. Track runners are the example my doc used. They are borderline obese but in great shape and carry almost no body fat!

Rosalind, you are totally right!!! :) I'm a good example because most people at 240 are in a size 20 or 22, but i'm in a 16... i have a lot of muscle mass from doing sports my whole life :) ....so i'm heavier than most people in my clothing size, and when i get down to a size 8, i'm still going to be heavier than the average person wearing a size 8 :)

You're a little confused. Just saying...

Guest Rosalind

Sooooo glad y'all are with me!!! I have always carried weight well. My pcp has already told me not to go by regular weight charts. She told me to go by the ones that consider the size of the frame. Thanks for affirmation! It was discouraging to sit beside that lady in the docs office and she weighed so much less than I did but was actually bigger than me?!? I had been discussing this with my daughter who carries a lot of muscle as well. She wears a 5/6 and weighs 130. She looks like she weighs 110!

Oh well! I will take solace knowing that my body will work to help me lose it!:tounge_smile: