Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT I need to wait 6mo.....should i pay out of pocket?

Can not wait any longer...found out today I need to go through the 6mo. a program...sooo depressed. was thinking I was going to be able to have it end of Sept. Should I use some savings and just pay out of pocket????

Honestly, it really depends on the quality of your insurance and your financial situation. Waiting the six months can be beneficial in helping you prepare for life after surgery, how to cope with the major changes in habits and lifestyle, and prepare your loved ones. For me, the six months has been a trial, but I got through it and I have lost some weight and since I have met my deductible my insurance pays 100%. However, if your insurance only pays 70/30 it might be better to just self pay. More wonderful people on this forum will chime in, and I hope you come to a decision you can live with. Good luck on your journey!

I was going to say exactly what Wishes did for the most part. Even if you're financially able, the six month diet requirement isn't a bad thing. It'll help you out after surgery in that you'll already be "preprogrammed" for the lifestyle modifications this surgery requires. (This is coming from the queen of impatience! LOL)

GOOD LUCK!

Just my 2cents. I would do the 6 month program. Learning behavioral changes, preparing yourself mentally, emotionally and physically during that time is essential. Also, with self-pay, you'll have to consider the follow up care that you might have to pay out of pocket. Even though there is minimal true follow up care, it's still something to consider.

As much as I thought I was prepared for all the changes, every day I learned something new through my recovery. I had already had the band so I feel like I had the eating curve beat with the sleeve. I had already established some of the "habits' like not eating and drinking together, chew, chew, chew, chew, slowing my meals down, and recognizing eating patterns really gave me a head start on my sleeve recovery. Also, learning to distinguish the difference between head hunger and physical hunger really helped me face those challenges.

Guest Rosalind

Spend money in this economy? Forget it!!! Let them pay what they should pay. I am finishing my 6 months. I really changed my eating and lost 35 lbs so far. My last month is in August and surgery in September. I used the 6 months to accept that I have to exercise regularly and eat smaller amounts. My doctor was so proud of me because most people just eat their way through the 6 months. Go through it. You will learn a lot about yourself. Calm down. Your time will come.

I agree with everyone else do the six months. At the beginning of the six months I thought oh man it will be cold outside by the time I'm through with the program, but truly I've been so busy that the time has flown by and now I'll be finished with my six months next month. It's really worth it to work on your own personal habits and to take your time. Many people who rush into this due to being anxious find themselves having issues that could have been overcome during their six months. I'm learning to listen to my body, learning my signals when my body is full, I'm learning not to drink with meals which is so hard to do, I'm learning how what exercises I like and how to fit a regimine in my daily schedule. All these things are better figured out now then when I have the surgery because I could easily get frustrated or even depressed having to deal with everything at once. Time really does go fast, and although looking at 6 months from now seems long, it's more beneficial to take your time. Think of it like a marriage,many single women want to be in love and married now, but for a marriage to last you have to take you time get to know the person and learn as much as you can before marriage because rushing into marriage without the dating phase can be tramatic, then you'll find yourself saying "only if I knew this before marriage". Haha I know crazy example, but hopefully you understand the jist. Good luck.

I thought the same thing when I did this....I'm in my last month right now and September 2nd will be my 6th month appointment! I'm so excited! It was worth it to save myself thousands of dollars. It has also given me allot of time to prepare myself mentally for this. My girlfriend just went and paid cash for it but she is very financially well off so it didn't hurt them at all. She has Zero regrets about doing so but I am not in her position. We would feel it if I paid cash. It will be worth the wait. Also..Consider it 5 months because I went the first of April and my last appt is September 2nd and I'm handing it to my insurance coordinator. So really I waited 5 months...The 6th month was just my 6th appointment.

Good luck to you!