Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs vs. Protein

OK... So I have found something strange... I can eat about the same amount of carbs at one time as I did prior to surgery but only about 1/4 of the Protein. What gives? I thought my sleeve was supposed to keep me from over-eating. I'm almost 6 weeks out and can eat pretty much anything. Has anyone experienced this?

What kind of carbs? bread, sugar, crackers, potatoes? or Broccoli, cucumber, cantelope? I adhere to my surgeon's rule of "protein first" and I can fit in a bite or two of healthy carbs. I avoid "white" carbs totally. If you don't and can eat a lot of them, they may be slider foods for you.

carbs are the enemy, they are what are called slider food and go down really really well and that is why we gain weight even with the sleeve. . . the denser stuff like meat, chicken, fish, cheese, etc is more dense and tougher making it harder to "slide" down. . .that is why we are told to watch the carbs. . .

OK... So I have found something strange... I can eat about the same amount of carbs at one time as I did prior to surgery but only about 1/4 of the Protein. What gives? I thought my sleeve was supposed to keep me from over-eating. I'm almost 6 weeks out and can eat pretty much anything. Has anyone experienced this?

I am pre-op but what I can tell from reading about other ppl is this: SOME ppl have a strong reaction to eating the wrong foods, not all. The sleeve is in place not to keep you from eating the things that are bad for you but to help you learn to eat differently than you did before. The sleeve is just a tool and how you use that tool will determine your success. You have to be the one to change what you eat to be as low carb, high Protein as possible. As far as you being able to overeat, that I know nothing about. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that one.

Yep, carbs slide right through, they are mushy, chew down to nothing so they're just going to go right on through.

Protein takes longer to breakdown, and move out of the stomach.

None of the surgeries stop carbs, all them absorb the same. Even the DS, can't beat carbs so all that falls back on us to make the best decision.

What kind of carbs? bread, sugar, crackers, potatoes? or Broccoli, cucumber, cantelope? I adhere to my surgeon's rule of "protein first" and I can fit in a bite or two of healthy carbs. I avoid "white" carbs totally. If you don't and can eat a lot of them, they may be slider foods for you.

What are slider foods?

What are slider foods?

Foods that "slide" right down because they chew down to nothing, don't make you feel full like dense Protein does, and spike insulin levels so that you feel hungry again shortly after eating them.

Foods that "slide" right down because they chew down to nothing, don't make you feel full like dense Protein does, and spike insulin levels so that you feel hungry again shortly after eating them.

Thanks! I made a huge effort to be educated about this whole experience. Now, being post-op almost 6 weeks, it's like I'm starting new!