Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my esophageal motility test, which by the way was the worst thing I've ever experienced, and found out that my esophagus is so messed up that I can't have the lapband. I've pretty much been in shock for the last two days. I had determined, from the beginning that I would not have the bypass, under any circumstances and felt so good about that decision. The decision I have to make now is whether to have the bypass or not do anything at all. I think to do nothing is crazy, yet I had my heart set on the lapband. I've gone ahead with the rest of the tests and have the psychologist's appointment on Friday and will let her know what's happened. I feel so disappointed, yet I know that things happen for a reason and my prayer was that if I wasn't to have the lapband it would be abundantly clear. That is exactly what's happened. Now, my fear is that it isn't in the plan to have any surgery and that I'll be like this the rest of my life. I don't know...........

I really appreciate all of your input and help and wish you all many blessings on your journeys.

Laura

Laura -

That's terrible news - I am so sorry. Is a second opinion out of the question? I never had a motility test...

Wishing you all the best, and keep us posted.

i didnt have that test either...i would seek a second opinion. please let us know what you do!

((((((hugs))))))))

What did they find that was wrong? I think I would consider a second opinion....I hope everything works out for you, and PLEASE keep us posted.....

Laura,

I am older (55 at the time of surgery), have reduced esophogeal motility (which we assumed due to age, again with no pre-op testing and a surgeon who had planned over 1400 bands at that time) and have had (so far) only moderate success with the band...AND I'D DO IT AGAIN TOMORROW BECAUSE I GOT MY LIFE BACK. I went from using a cane to walk and a treadmill speed of 0.6 mph with a physical therapist and an oxygen tank at my side and sleeping or trying to sleep about 18 hours per day due to sleep apnea, and all that stuff. I now do a half hour of cardio on the treadmill at over 3 mph and/or eliptical trainer at about 50% resistance. I lost about 80 pounds, regained 20 when unfilled, lost about 5 of that, and am currently stalled. I'd get an additional tenth of a cc of saline to bump things up, but I'm about to have it unfilled again for plastic surgery.

Did you have the test because of pre-existing problems? Is your surgeon one who accepts only "ideal" patients? (I just read a medical journal abstract about which are "better" bariatric patients.) Are there test results which can be interpreted by another doctor, or is this one of those deals that is read on the spot?

Good luck on whatever you decide. But, if you have no history of esophageal motility issues (and especially if you're older), I'd wonder if the doctor was just trying to limit his surgical practice to only those patients with ALL of the pre-op predictors of success.

Sue

I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with GERD and I clearly have it. I was on Prilosec until it went over the counter. I stopped taking it because of the expense and am now taking about 8-12 long lasting Tums per day. It's gotten considerably worse over the past couple of months. The doctor wanted to do the test because of that. The test measures the pressure in the esophagus at different places. It also makes sure there aren't any twists or abnormal anatomical features. When I had the original diagnosis, they said that the valve between my esophagus and stomach had relaxed quite a bit and was allowing food to reenter my esophagus, causing indigestion and heartburn. Apparently, the opening is even more pronounced and it's causing the food and acid to just sit in my esophagus, not moving at the rate it should. The doctor asked if I was having chest pains recently and yes, I have been. That's what it is.

I don't have any doubt as to the doctor's assessment of the situation and his idea that the band isn't for me. He also suggested getting a second opinion, but I can't see how it would make a difference. The fact is that the band is known for causing acid reflux in people who don't have it to begin with. How much worse it would be for me who, not only has it, but has a really bad case of it??

As hard as it's been the last few days to accept that I won't be getting the band, not all hope is lost. I can still have the bypass and will have great success with that, I'm sure. It's just making the choice to do something that extreme.

I also forgot to say that the same doctor I'm seeing will do the bypass, if I choose to have it done. I don't have to find another.

Originally posted by msknow

The fact is that the band is known for causing acid reflux in people who don't have it to begin with. How much worse it would be for me who, not only has it, but has a really bad case of it??

Okay, I don't want to upset you, but here's where legitimate logic is at odds with the real world. He's right, you're right, I'm right and we all may be a little wrong, too. Here's why:

The band can cause reflux in people who have never had it AND CURE REFLUX IN THOSE WHO HAVE IT PRE-OP, DEPENDING ON THE REASON FOR THE REFLUX.

As a matter of fact, I had a conversation with Don Mills of Inamed about this topic yesterday.

In patients who have GERD or reflux symptoms pre-op, the band provides one more place the stomach acid has to work its way through to get to the espophagus. For many of them, the stomach acid that used to work its way to the esophagus gets kept in the "lower stomach" because of the band. And, because the acid doesn't get to the "malfunctioning flap," it can't get into the esophagus.

Those who do not have reflux pre-op and end up with problems after surgery do so because of the band placement and because now the acid gets trapped in the little upper pouch and finds its way to the esophagus.

I could be 100% wrong. (Alert the media?) But many, many people who had GERD pre-op have had no symptoms since being banded. Keep checking. You may be giving up on your surgery of choice based on insufficient evidence.

Good luck,

Sue

Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry for this news. I"m sure it's very hard to hear and absorb, but you definitely seem to have a good attitude about it. Keep learning, there may be more answers out there.

CURE REFLUX IN THOSE WHO HAVE IT PRE-OP, DEPENDING ON THE REASON FOR THE REFLUX.

Thats me! I was the biggest Prilosec/Tums consumer I know.

Since being Banded I've have a Tums maybe twice a month, usually cause I ate too close to bedtime, go to lye down and feel the need to burp.

Sorry to hear of your complications. Wishing you the best.

Like Vera, I too had heart burn ALL the time. My tums bottle was my best friend..took it everywhere with me. I also had an upper GI before surgery to see if I was ok. The test came out fine I guess, but after having the surgery in March, I think I have opened my tums bottle 2-3 times, popped one or two tums and then I was fine. Now when I feel like I'm going to have heart burn, it comes out a burp...not that awful feeling and I'm amazed.

Everything happens for a reason though.... and I find your outlook amazing!

:::::::::: HUGS AND LOVES:::::::

Michelle~

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Sue, I'm really afraid that if I have the band done, I could be in constant pain, because I am now. It seems to be getting worse each day. If there's a 50-50 chance of me still having it after surgery or of me having it even worse, I'm not sure I want to take that chance. I think I'll go to another doctor just to be sure, but I'm thinking it's just not for me. I really appreciate your help and encouragement with this. :cool:

Laura

I'm one of those post-band reflux people, so I just recently learned how reflux/GERD can impact one's life. I don't want you to think I'm encouraging you to get the band. I was just telling you what it is I had learned about the impact of the band on GERD/reflux. It's ALL a crap shoot and I'm not sure I'd go for it. If you want to ask Don Mills (whose job it is to promote the band so he is going to have primarily positive information), you can reach him at (805)683-6761, and just follow the voice prompts.

Now, let me make you just a little crazier. Some doctors who do gastric bypass use a "silastic ring" which is a non-adjustable circle of plastic, placed at the location where the esophagus and stomach meet, to prevent stress on the area. So when you talk to doctors about that, find out the impact of the silastic ring, if they use one.

Finally, there is also the DS. That SEEMS to be the bypass surgery of choice for banded people who have done a lot of homework. Again, it's not as popular with doctors.

I wish you the best on this. GERD is terrible. I wish you relief.

Sue, what is DS? I'd like to do some research on it before I see the doctor, in case it's something I'm interested in.