Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comparison between Bypass and VSG

Hello! Glad I found this website!

As a newbie, I'm pretty convinced that VSG is the best choice for me, since I have an autoimmune disease and am prone to infections due to using Methotrexate to fight the disease (oh, what a conundrum that is).

I looked at lap band and read about too many side effects to make that appealing at all. The bypass looks devastating in that there is no absorption and I can't figure out how "eating healthy" would benefit a person who cannot digest his/her food. So, I'm focused on the VSG and will be attending the orientation and consult tomorrow. After looking at the pictures, it appears that there is part of the stomach left and that absorbing healthy foods would benefit the body.

I already take a zillion supplements, so that's not a problem for me, BUT I can't imagine how to take them when the stomach is so very small..............are liquid Vitamins more beneficial?

I have removed so many things from my diet over the past few years, that I'm already there mentally, but now I'm wondering if a VSG patient can indulge in ice cream, Jell-O and such things that have sugar in them, but turn to liquids? Nuts are supposed to be very important in one's diet.............can a little bitty stomach take them or do they need to be ground into a powder?

I'm sure I'll learn much more tomorrow, but I'm excited at the thought of leaving all the fad diets behind me and having a permanent solution: I just pray that it won't be something that makes me feel sick all the time. When does post-op end and "normal" begin?

Looking like I'm pregnant after all my effort is so frustrating; especially since I work out 6 days a week, eat healthy and maintain portion control...........Sotiredofit!angry.gif

I eat all of those things listed on a regular basis. The stomach does very little in ways of digestion, it's main purpose is to mush up the food and make it readily available to the intestines. We're left with plenty of stomach tissue for this function.85% of digestion occurs in the intestines so you'll be fine there with foods.

Everyone's normal is different. Once I got to maintenance/below my goal weight my new normal began. Every single person has a different definition of normal. For me, I eat what I want, every food, no restrictions, just portion sizes are much smaller, and I still focus on Protein because my body runs best with Protein focused meals.

I take chewable Vitamins because it's what I like, not that I can't take pills, just because, well I'm a big kid and I like the chewables. There are no medication restrictions with the sleeve. Now with that being said, some medications need to be taken with food such as NSAIDS, and some heavy antibiotics. I have zero issue doing this, eating a little yogurt, a couple of crackers, popping a huge pill and then just swallowing enough Water with the pill to get the pill down is not an issue for me.

pills early out are typically restricted due to swelling. Anything that is extended release needs to be changed for the first 6 weeks per my surgeon.

Best wishes on your research and consults.

Hi Sotiredofit! I'm new here too, but I've been on this sight every day since I decided to get the sleeve, and it's proved to be an invaluable resource in terms of information and support. I also decided the sleeve was the way to go for me. I don't want to mess around with malabsorption and reconfiguring my intestines if I don't have to; especially since people have been so successful with the sleeve. The other thing is, I don't think a ton of supplements are necessary with VGS. My surgeon told me that I'd be fine with a multi-Vitamin and Calcium supplement. With the bypass procedures you also have to worry about "dumping" which does not sound fun at all... :( Good luck with your research!!

@Tiffykins, your answers to questions on this site are always so well-written, informative and helpful! How did you get to be such a guru?

@Tiffykins, your answers to questions on this site are always so well-written, informative and helpful! How did you get to be such a guru?

Tons of research, googling, reading medical publications/articles, and pouring myself into gaining as much knowledge as I could to give me the best rate and chance at long term success.

I'm pretty nerdy when it comes to this stuff, and could spend days on end reading information from nutrition, Vitamins, to long term health concerns with removing the largest portion of the stomach. I paid for a subscription for 12 months to some of the medical publication sites so I could have access to more in depth information. For me, the fees were nominal, and well worth the few dollars spent to get full access to the articles/studies/publications regarding VSG and gastrectomies in general.

I wasn't willing to just have my stomach amputated, and not know what I was in for long term.