Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thyroid and Sleeve Gastrectomy Questions

Hi all! I'm "Trixie." I'm 44 y.o., female, 5'6" and 250 lbs. I'm a business lawyer in Orlando, FL (no stress there!), on BP and cholesterol meds. I don't yet have a surgery date, but it should be in 1-2 months now that I have completed all my clearances.

I am just finishing up the 6-months physician supervised diet whereby I was able to maintain my weight, but I didn't lose a pound. This is mostly due to an out-of-whack thyroid. I'm just hoping for better results from the surgery. Honestly, if I just lose enough to get off the medications I will be happy.

Has anyone else out there got hypothyroidism? How did the surgery work for you? Did it help you get your thyroid levels in balance? Thanks in advance for your answers!

I have hypothyroidism and it did not impact my weightloss (this time)!

You will need to be careful and have your levels checked frequently. My thyroid has not stabolized and my medication needs keep going up and down at 1.5 years out. I waws getting tested every 3 months, but now we are doing every month. I'm having night sweats not related to hormones (confirmed through testing) & my doctor believes that my fluxuating thyroid levels are the culprit. I go in 2 weeks to be tested again - hope we find the "sweet spot" this time.

Hi all! I'm "Trixie." I'm 44 y.o., female, 5'6" and 250 lbs. I'm a business lawyer in Orlando, FL (no stress there!), on BP and cholesterol meds. I don't yet have a surgery date, but it should be in 1-2 months now that I have completed all my clearances.

I am just finishing up the 6-months physician supervised diet whereby I was able to maintain my weight, but I didn't lose a pound. This is mostly due to an out-of-whack thyroid. I'm just hoping for better results from the surgery. Honestly, if I just lose enough to get off the medications I will be happy.

Has anyone else out there got hypothyroidism? How did the surgery work for you? Did it help you get your thyroid levels in balance? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Hey there!! I am two months post op and have hypothyroidism. For two years I was not able to lose more than 10 lbs - and that was super strict dieting. My thyroid has played hell on my body and my metabolism. Two months out I am losing (see ticker below). I am still on meds - always will be, but I am losing. My loss seems slower than some people but I chalk it up to being 40 BMI (at surgery) and my thyroid issues. It is totally possible to lose and maintain with the Sleeve, even if you have a jacked up thyroid. Good luck on your journey!!

Florida girls rock - just saying!!

(From Daytona LOL)

:cheer2:

Hey Trixie, sounds like we have a few things in common. I'm a 41 year old RN from here in Orlando (actually Ocoee) who also has hypothyroidism and increased blood pressure. It's nice to know that there is someone else in the same area with some of the same issues. Good luck on your journey.

I'm actually in Altamonte Springs, but nobody from outside the Orlando area knows where that is! :-)

Who is your surgeon, if you don't mind me asking? Mine is Dr. Daryl Wier at ORMC.

Hey Trixie, sounds like we have a few things in common. I'm a 41 year old RN from here in Orlando (actually Ocoee) who also has hypothyroidism and increased blood pressure. It's nice to know that there is someone else in the same area with some of the same issues. Good luck on your journey.

I'm actually in Altamonte Springs, but nobody from outside the Orlando area knows where that is! :-)

Who is your surgeon, if you don't mind me asking? Mine is Dr. Daryl Wier at ORMC.

LOL, mine too!! Do you have a date yet? I just got my final surgery clearance today. Still waiting for insurance approval so I don't have a date yet. I can't really have surgery until September due to work. :(

I just finished my last clearance too - small world! I've probably seen you in a waiting room somewhere in the last few months. I do know my insurance covers it, so that's a hurdle I don't have to cross. I'll be scheduling a date at my next visit with Dr. Wier.

My big hold-up isn't work (I work for myself) but a sick mother. If chemo goes well, I'll be doing this in August or September. If not, it will be after Mom passes. (Not being morbid - it's just the way it is.)

LOL, mine too!! Do you have a date yet? I just got my final surgery clearance today. Still waiting for insurance approval so I don't have a date yet. I can't really have surgery until September due to work. :(

I have hypothyroidism also - was diagnosed during my 6 mo. supervised visits with the sleeve Dr. Once they put me on medicine I started losing better - but I also was taking the medifast diet foods, and bars to help lose some weight before surgery. My BMI was 48 I think when I started this journey. I am on 100 mcg of Levothyroxine a day to control the Thyroid. I was told once you are on Thyroid medicine you will need to stay on it for the rest of your life. After I had lost about 125 lbs. I had my regular doctor check up and he did some bloodwork to check on my Thyroid and they said I should stay on the same dosage I was on. Interesting cuz this was ordered for me when I weighed about 250 lbs. LOLS!! As you can see from my ticker below that it hasn't stopped me from losing the weight though. Hope you have great success with your weightloss journey. Keep us informed. Good Luck to you!!

I'm 60 and 3 months out and down 35 lbs. I had a BMI of 38 and expected to lose a bit slower than some. My thyroid hasn't changed a bit---it was regulated with one pill and has stayed exactly the same. Diets didn't work. Exercise was good for me but didn't get any pounds off, and the sleeve has been the answer! good luck to you!