Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretch Marks

I dont know if they get smaller or what. I will be interested the replies to this. I was under the impression that anywhere you have stretch marks would be the most problemsome areas of loose skin after weight loss. Makes sense, since the skin has already stretched to the point of tearing that it would have lost some elasticity. Maybe someone else can give better or more definitive answers.

They lose their purple colour and turn silver but will be there forever unfortunately.

I dont have any on my stomach, and I gained none from 3 pregnancies at all but puberty wasnt kind to me. I went to bed a skinny flat chested kid one night at 15 and woke up the next day with DD's. Seemingly overnight I developed stretch marks on my breasts and hips. 23 years later they're just silvery white marks, but when I look down at my breasts the skin is corrugated, it puckers a bit round the stretch marks. However if they're pushed up in a bra I can put my cleavage on display because that fills them out, so its all good.

The ones on my hips are fine, I wouldnt hesitate to show my skin, you can see they're there, but who doesnt have them? Every woman has stretchmarks.

I have a lot of marks on my stomach. From weight and 2 kids. Since I have lost weight they are saggy. I dont really know what word to use for it. But they deffinitly have not got any better. In fact I think they looked better when they were filled in more. Not that I would go back or anything. I can hide my stretch marks but I couldnt hide the fat. LOL

The color will fade out, but they are part of your skin forever.

I would say that they will forever look like a road map (with texture).

I don't think they'll ever go away (unless you have some plastic surgery and that part of the skin is cut...). My doctor told me that one of the advantages in loosing weight slowly (I'm a very slow loser) is that your skin gets the time to slowly adjust to the process and you probably don't get many stretchmarks from losing weight, but then, most of us already have strechmarks from the time when we got more and more weight... I have some big ones on my tummy from pregnancy and those will surely never go away, but now that I'm losing, they look somewhat «deflated» or a bit «saggy«, but as one of the previous posters mentioned, those you can easily hide, but you can't do the same with fat...:)

niki

Essentially, stretch marks are scar tissue, so you are pretty much stuck with them. They'll fade in color, but they probably wont get any thinner or smaller. Also, the areas of your skin with stretch marks are the ones that are least likely (if at all) to bounce back as you lose weight.