Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in real need of advice. I have finally made up my mind and after some hoops, seminars etc., managed to have my first meeting with my surgeon yesterday. I had lots of questions, but the ONLY thing I was sure of is that I wanted the sleeve. Well he told me that the sleeve can increase reflux. I already have such bad reflux that I feel like my throat is burning up sometimes. I don't mine taking pills for the rest of my life for this, but I really don't know if I could stand it if it got much worse. Have any of you had bad reflux or GErd prior to surgery and have found that it got better after surgery? Worse? I have to decide which surgery I want, and I really did not want the bypass. He said he wanted me to do my own research and make my own decision, as it affects everyone differently. So any input that you all have will be so much appreciated!!! thanks!!!

I had acid reflux before surgery, though it was well controlled with a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). When I had an upper endoscopy done, the surgeon found a fairly sizeable hiatal hernia. One surgeon advised me that since that was the likely cause of my heartburn, and it could be repaired when he did the weight loss surgery, and I didn't have Barett's Esophagus (scarring), it was safe to have the sleeve. The other surgeon advised strongly against the sleeve, because the sleeve can make heartburn worse, and it if gets really bad post-op, the options for resolving it get pretty limited with the sleeve. Bypass is less likely to cause heartburn.

It was a difficult decision for me to make, I really felt stuck in the middle. But I decided to proceed with the sleeve and hope for the best. (Kind of scary, since I'm self-pay, and I don't think I could afford a revision if it came to that!)

Post-op I'm on an H2 blocker (Pepcid) rather than a PPI. The H2 blockers are generally less effective, and I am experiencing some break-through stomach acid, though it's not really bad. I'm trying to hold out and see if my body will adjust before I switch back to a PPI.

Honestly, I think it depends on a number of factors. Do you have a physiological cause for the reflux that will get repaired at surgery like me? If not, you may be risking some miserable times with acid reflux post-op. Have you talked to your surgeon about why you don't want the bypass? I know some of my concerns were resolved after a good serious talk about bypass with my surgeon.

Good luck, it's a hard decision.

Thanks for your honest answer. I don't think I have a hiatal hernia. I had an endoscopy last year and nothing showed up. However, my surgeon said that he would be able to "tighten up " the muscles once he went in to do the surgery. I feel stuck also. I don't know what to do. I really did not want the additional changes to my body that come with the bypass. Why did you choose not to go back on a PPI if you were well controlled with it prior to surgery? Just wondering. Also, do you find that Vitamins make the refulx worse? Thanks.

Thanks for your honest answer. I don't think I have a hiatal hernia. I had an endoscopy last year and nothing showed up. However, my surgeon said that he would be able to "tighten up " the muscles once he went in to do the surgery. I feel stuck also. I don't know what to do. I really did not want the additional changes to my body that come with the bypass. Why did you choose not to go back on a PPI if you were well controlled with it prior to surgery? Just wondering. Also, do you find that Vitamins make the refulx worse? Thanks.

Hi, I just wanted to say that for me, when I am heavier, my acid reflux is really bad. About 8 years ago, I lost about 65 pounds, and my reflux became almost non-existant. I am thinking after the sleeve and when I lose enough weight, I am thinking mine will lessen. I also am trying to follow the rules of not laying down after I eat, trying to eat earlier in the evening, trying to stay away from milk products too late as milk has a lot of acid believe it or not. I am also taking a zantac once a day and that seems to really help. I would think if you are having success with an acid blocker before, why wouldn't it help you after along with following other reflux reducing rules and losing weight? I know for my dad, nothing but a prescription stregnth pill helps with his GERD and then even then, he has to stay away from certain trigger foods. I hope it works out for you whatever you decide.