Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had surgery 1 week ago and have questions

I just had my surgery little over a week ago. I have two questions. First did anyone experience bad breath and why would that be. Second, how much is normal to be able to drink at one time. I think I am drinking to much. I can drink up to 4 oz then 15 min later 2 more. If this is a lot, am I stretching out my stomach already?

Bad breath is probably due to a lot of things. The body gets rid of a fair number of waste products through the lungs. As for liquids, they just trickle on through your stomach because your sotmach isn't a reservoir for liquids anymore. You probably won't feel restriction until you are on mushies or solids.

It's the same for me.. I am 8 days out, and noticed that I've had some bad breath. I too can intake a lot of liquids at a time. I think a lot of this is that everyone just works so differently even with the same surgery. I'm sure you are doing fine, and I'm glad you are getting plenty of liquids!

I just had my surgery little over a week ago. I have two questions. First did anyone experience bad breath and why would that be. Second, how much is normal to be able to drink at one time. I think I am drinking to much. I can drink up to 4 oz then 15 min later 2 more. If this is a lot, am I stretching out my stomach already?

I had bad breath for awhile, then noticed that my tongue had a thick coat of yuckness on it. After brushing it away, the bad breath was gone.

I also had the white build up on my tongue due to the Protein Shakes I was drinking. I got a tongue scraper which helped a lot. As for the liquids, you are doing fine. It is very hard this early out to stretch out the stomach. Keep up on the fluids as it is so important and even more so with the hot weather not to get dehyrdrated.

The bad breath is probably a sign that your body has entered ketosis - the process of burning the fat stores for energy. As far as the liquids go - everyone is different, but I know I can drink that much too. I wouldn't worry about it much as liquids do tend to go right through your stomach and not sit there the way food does.

Hello I am new here...I am 4 days post-op and I have experienced bad breath as well, what has worked for me is to brush my teeth 3 times a day and also make sure you are drinking your liquid diet on time...mine is every 2 hours and in between 4-6oz of Water, that also avoids the bad breath. What I can not stand is the air that goes down my stomach every time I swallow, it makes me want to throw up sometimes :(

just had my sleeve on monday, i dont think i am getting in my fluids how much is too much at a time?