Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm seriously considering the VSG surgery, but my son is only 3 months old, and I plan to nurse at least until 1year. Is this even possible after surgery? With the small caloric intake, how does it work out? I really don't want to put off the surgery if and when I make the decision to do so, but obviously, the health of my son is more important than anything...so if I have to wait, I guess i will...

Has anyone else breastfed right after surgery? And while we're on this topic, has anyone gone through pregnancy after surgery?

Thanks

I'm currently 6 months pregnant, and doing just perfect in the pregnancy as is the baby. I posted a long 6 month update. Grant it, I'm 2 years out from VSG so it's way different than getting pregnant early out from any weight loss surgery.

As for breastfeeding, there are a couple of breastfeeding momma's on obesityhelp and they've had RNY, but are several years out. They aren't malabsorbing their calories anymore so it's not that difficult for them to maintain a solid milk supply.

It is recommended to pump to have at least a month supply so you can let your body recovery, but for 2-4 weeks you will only be taking in 600-1000 calories even with 2-3 shakes a day. It's just not possible to force foods, or liquids in post-op.

You'll have to pump and dump for a couple of days immediately post-op if you do attempt to breastfeed immediately after surgery because of all the anesthesia and drugs given iv.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, and had a desire to breastfeed my child, I would not risk nipple confusion, breast refusal after pumping and bottle feeding, or my supply running out because your body just can not keep up with the demands of a growing baby. Just like I refused to risk getting pregnant too early. I was released for TTC earlier than most because of extenuating circumstances, and I was already below goal, my labs were and had been consistently stellar, and rumors of my husband getting shipped to the sh*thole of Afghanistan again were looming over our heads. We tried for a solid 14 months, charting, temping, all that good crap, and I endured 2 chemical pregnancies in that time. So, I do not recommend rushing TTC without careful consideration of all possibilities.

This is major surgery, and while the majority have uneventful recoveries, it is still recovery, and huge shock on your body.