Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A couple of questions from a newbie

So I've been a "lurker" for a few days now on this forum and finally decided to join. Everyone seems really nice on here and all the postings have been really helpful and informative!!

Anyway, I'm getting sleeved in a little over 5 weeks, and I had a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer?

1) A lot of people have said that this surgery significantly decreases hunger, but what about cravings? I have a major sweet tooth, and even if I'm totally stuffed I can always seem to find room for cake or ice cream...if this surgery helped with the cravings for sweets, I think that would be like 3/4 of the battle right there!

2) My surgeon was trying to push me into having the duodenal switch, and said that it was better because short women (I'm a 5'1" female) have the hardest time losing weight and keeping it off. I'm hoping that's not the case because I can't afford the DS (I'm self pay) and I don't really relish the thought of switching around my intestines...

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks!!!biggrin.gif

Yes, your cravings will most likely go away - most of us that has happened to. Since being sleeved a week ago, I no longer desire sweets, pizza, big macs, etc that I absolutely loved before my surgery. In fact, the couple that I am living with brought home a pizza yesterday and put it in the fridge on the shelf right above the shelf I am using for my "special food" (foods they don't like such as cottage cheese). Talk about putting temptation in front of a person! But, I don't even want it - the thought of eating just a bite makes me sick. Before surgery, I would have easily eaten the whole large pizza by myself. Yup that is my new sleeve working it's magic!

Do your research on both surgeries and once you make up your mind, do not let anyone (even your surgeon) talk you into one that you don't want. Many people are very happy with the sleeve. I have seen a couple of others (their names escape me at the moment) who are shorter (around 5' to 5'2) who have gotten the sleeve and are losing weight with it.

I think(and in my 2 years post-VSG) cravings are mental, and they operate on our stomachs, not our brains so in the beginning you might not have cravings because you won't be hungry, but the further out you get, you might find that you battle head hunger and craving since there is zero surgical options to cut off cravings. None of the surgeries stop the mental aspect of cravings. I can say that early out for about the first 6-12 months cravings were minimal because I had changed my eating habits, and behaviors with foods. Some days, food and eating was a chore because I did lose my appetite along with physical, but there are 1000s of sleeve patients that battle head hunger from the beginning so I wouldn't count on any of the surgery stopping mental cravings for foods that are the best option. For me, it was easy in the beginning because I was so focused on getting to goal, and getting in my Protein. However, at 2 years out, I can tell you cravings, and my appetite has returned. I still do not get physically hungry, never does my stomach growl, I can still go several hours without eating, and not feel physical hunger. But, I still have a fat girl's appetite, and especially now with the pregnancy, cravings are horrendous. I hate to be the "Debbie Downer", but if you research around here, you'll see that mental cravings do not go away with any weight loss surgery. There's plenty of sleeve patients that have posted about cravings, previous eating behaviors, and habits that aren't easily broken just because they have surgery. It's the same for any of the surgeries. If you peruse the RNY, DS, and Band forum on obesityhelp you'll see that mental cravings are the most difficult obstacle for a lot of us regardless of surgery type.

As for your concern about "short" women, I'm only 5'2" and had zero issue losing weight or maintaining my loss (138lbs lost)with VSG alone. I would not entertain the idea of DS or RNY because of the malabsorption component. For me, I know myself, and my lifestyle best, and I could not remotely be compliant with the stringent vitamin/supplement requirement for either surgery, but especially DS. I can honestly tell you that I'd rather lug around an additional 20lbs than take 20-30 pills a day to keep my levels within normal ranges. That's just my take on malabsorptive procedures and what I wanted long term from a surgery choice.

Best wishes in your research ! ! !

Thanks so much, both of your responses were really helpful. It's good to know about the head hunger before going into surgery, so at least I'm aware of it and can try to prepare myself for it before hand. I agree about not wanting to mess with the malabsorptive procedures, I just don't think that's for me, and most people on this forum seem to have been very successful with just the sleeve. I know it isn't a magic fix and I'm still going to have to battle eating habits and force myself to exercise, but I'm hoping the sleeve will give me the help and motivation I need. Thanks again for all the advice!! :)