Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm curious about the above mentioned things. I am mainly asking because I am curious if a week post-op is enough time as far as when DH goes back to work. How long did the post-op weakness last? How much were you able to lift at what point post-op. By surgery time I will have a 5 year old and a 2 year old so I kinda need to know (esp with a 2 year old) how long it will be b4 I can lift him and care for them. I am also curious how long post-op that I may feel up to getting out and actually playing with my kids (running with them and such- energy and healing wise).

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I just realized I must be an idiot this week, lol, because I put YET ANOTHER post in the wrong place. I was thinking the "pos-op questions and answers" were for the post-op people with questions. I just read the discription and realized this belongs there not here. Ack.... Bear with me please, I am new to the board and trying to figure everything out still 10_12_9.gif

I was one of the lucky ones and had a really good recovery!!

I was in the hospital, had my surgery and was home the next afternoon. I did not take pain meds after leaving the hospital. I felt really weak for a few days and went to my Primary Dr. I was anemic and had to start strong Iron pills and be taken off my blood pressure meds. For about a week, I was REALLY weak!!

I went back to work on day 7 after my surgery. I felt good other than being a little tired, but everyday was better!! When I was able to eat more, that was when I was really feeling good. About week 2-3.

I was not allowed to lift over 10 lbs for the first 2 weeks. Then not over 20lbs from week 2-4. After 4 weeks I could lift whatever I wanted. It takes 4 weeks for you to heal internally and you should not lift over 20lbs. I didn't lift anything really but a few small grocery bags!

You will know how you feel and what you can do. Just don't over do it or pick up your children!!! Walking makes you stronger and the more you can do of it the better you will feel!!

Best of luck to you!!

Kelly

I was one of the lucky ones and had a really good recovery!!

I was in the hospital, had my surgery and was home the next afternoon. I did not take pain meds after leaving the hospital. I felt really weak for a few days and went to my Primary Dr. I was anemic and had to start strong Iron pills and be taken off my blood pressure meds. For about a week, I was REALLY weak!!

I went back to work on day 7 after my surgery. I felt good other than being a little tired, but everyday was better!! When I was able to eat more, that was when I was really feeling good. About week 2-3.

I was not allowed to lift over 10 lbs for the first 2 weeks. Then not over 20lbs from week 2-4. After 4 weeks I could lift whatever I wanted. It takes 4 weeks for you to heal internally and you should not lift over 20lbs. I didn't lift anything really but a few small grocery bags!

You will know how you feel and what you can do. Just don't over do it or pick up your children!!! Walking makes you stronger and the more you can do of it the better you will feel!!

Best of luck to you!!

Kelly

Wow, you really did have a quick recovery! The last time I had lap surgery I was down and out for awhile. I've noticed that my body treats surgeries kinda like a virus. The first one is horrible and the following one(s) (even years later) aren't so bad. Like with my cesareans, my first one I took FOREVER to recoup from it was like 6 months after that I even started to feel like myself again. After my second on I was up and getting around great b4 I even left the hosp. So I am hoping the same will apply to my second lap surgery...

Yeah walking will be my primary exercise immediately post op. I figure its something that is easy to stop when I can't go anymore, its low impact so I don't have to worry about my incision ridden belly bouncing too much and hurting me and its something the whole family loves to do :) DH and I have been talking about getting a treadmill too for the days when the weather is yucky or too hot or for when DH isn't home (its not easy getting 2 kids ready to go anywhere by yourself, lol) that way I will have absolutely NO excuse not to exercise. I figure even if I am completely exhausted I can still manage a 5 min slow walk on the treadmill so it seems like a good investment. DH and I have wanted to create our own little workout room for sometime now but other more important things have always come up to prevent us. This time this is the most important thing and almost everything else(my family is always numero uno above any other priorities) will just have to take a back seat lol. Then as I heal more and can do more we will add pieces of equipment a little at a time like an elliptical and something like a total gym when I get to the point where I am ready to start toning up :)

Any advice on the best workout equipment? If you go to the gym what are/were the pieces of equipment you liked best and/or found the best results with?

7_5_141.gif7_5_139.gif7_5_142.gif36_35_8.gif23_33_7.gif

Hello Kristie, I would follow your surgeons instructions all the way. I had a perfect recovery, I had no pain or naseua after I left the recovery house. I was instructed to do no lifting or exercise ( except walking) until after 6 weeks. I followed his directions because I was so scared I would mess something up. I just recently started riding my bike and light weight lifting and I was very sore. I keep thinking, I hope I do not stress my stomach. I called and Dr. Almanza told me that I am good to go and the stomach staple line is healed by now

( it was 6 weeks when I called) and I should gradually increase my exercise, not jump in over my head. As far as your question about energy, it took me about a month to get my energy back to normal levels. It did not have as much to do with the surgery as it did with not being able to get enough Protein and calories in. I think I took a nap every day for about 3 weeks. The weight loss has been awesome but getting enough protein and calories have been my struggles. Good luck with the kids, I think a 2 and 5 year old would wear me out years after surgery recovery.

Good luck with the kids, I think a 2 and 5 year old would wear me out years after surgery recovery.

LOL. Ain't that the truth.. My children are 4 and 2.. Fun age, but exhausting to say the least.

We have the same surgeon so I will agree with what you said, lifting, etc. should wait for 6 weeks.

LOL. Ain't that the truth.. My children are 4 and 2.. Fun age, but exhausting to say the least.

We have the same surgeon so I will agree with what you said, lifting, etc. should wait for 6 weeks.

Hmm, I guess I will have to play it by ear and see how much lifting is required with him by then. My oldest didn't require much lifting by 2 but he was always much more independent. Eli, my youngest, has always been more sensitive and dependent so he may be more high maintenance at age 2. If Walmart approves it my DH can take the week of surgery off using vaca, 3 weeks off leave using sick time to get pay while on leave, then possibly use his second week of vaca at the end of that totaling a max of 5 weeks paid time off. He rarely uses his sick time, which is why he has so much of it, so I am not too worried about that but I would hate to have him have to use both weeks of vaca up, plus sick time, plus what little personal hours he has all for this surgery and leave him with nothing left. Besides, his family reunion in next august. If I take his second week of vaca he won't be able to go :( May just do a week w/o pay if we really must... Don't know. Luckily (the only good thing about having to wait till next may) we have time to get this figured out.