Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CONSIDERING VSG - NEED HELP

I'm considering this surgery after researching all the bariatric surgery options. It seems it has the least amount of side effects, a great initial weight loss, and a decent long term weight loss. It all sounds really great, but I need to hear the "dark side" of it all, before I make the decision. I need to know the worst of the worst before I move forward with this plan.

A little about me, I'm 31, 5'10", 280lbs. my BMI is 40. I've just had my second child 4 months ago, and my post-baby weight is the same as my pre-baby weight...which, as it happens, is the weight I've been for the last 6 years. I've always been an athletically built girl...never super skinny...but at my best shape, I was a size 10 and weighed 170. I also didn't have 2 kids, a husband, and a career, so it was a little easier to take care of myself. Weight problems run in the family; my mom and younger sister are both morbidly obese, as are all the women on my mom's side of the family. No one really sticks to a diet or exercise program, they just like to complain and blame their lots in life on their weight. I'd like to break the cycle while I'm still young, and can enjoy an active lifestyle with my family, etc. I feel like the surgery could give me the boost I need to lead a healthy, active, confident lifestyle I so desperately want.

BUT, I'm concerned about the post-op world I'll live in. Here are some questions I have:

1. since you can't eat much, is your energy really low? I have to take care of 2 kids, so low energy is not too appealing

2. will you ALWAYS only be able to eat small amounts? Or, will your stomach stretch back to normal size eventually?

3. once you get past the first few weeks of liquid and soft foods, what dietary restrictions are there in your normal, day-to-day life?

4. I've heard you can throw up if you eat too much, what other physical side-effects can I expect post-op?

5. any regrets???

Thanks in advance for all your feedback. Some days I think this is the best idea ever, and other days, I think I'm crazy to consider it... just looking for answers either way at this point.

Hi there,

I'm only 6 weeks out, and doing great. I've lost 24 pounds since surgery, and 15 pounds pre op. I'm still in Phase III of my post op diet, but so far nothing has bothered me. I should be released to phase IV this week, which means I'll be able to eat harder stuff like nuts, salads, etc. I also have 2 small children, and was worried about my energy levels. My husband helped out a lot at first, thankfully. I was pretty low energy for the first few weeks, although nothing too atrocious, and week 5 was really when I felt my energy return, but mostly because I can eat a little more and my body has recovered more from the surgery itself.

I've basically had to learn a new way of eating, such as how much I can eat, what I should eat, what i CAN eat, etc. As far as your stomach stretching back to its normal size, the surgeon leaves the smaller, muscle part of the stomach so although it will stretch a little, it's unlikely to stretch too much. You will always have to watch your calories though or you will not lose. It's so much easier now though because I can seriously only eat about 1/2 cup of food at a time. It's an awesome tool, but also a huge commitment to eating right. Also, it's a big learning curve, and some people really struggle at first. I've been really lucky in that I can eat what I want, just smaller portions, and of course I go fat free or sugar free when I can. Most of my focus is getting in the Protein and liquids. I have not been sick or thrown up, but I have definitely felt the restriction of my sleeve when I've eaten too much!

My best suggestion is really to attend some support groups if you can, and talk to other people who are post op. This website is awesome as far as information. You get the good, the bad, the ugly, and the great. Keep reading, ask questions, talk to people who are going through the same phase as you as well as people who are further out post op. I had my surgery through Kaiser and they had a mandatory orientation class. It was great. It provided a nice over view, although the best info I got was really from the message boards and from other sleevers who were post op.

Good luck with your decision!

I'm considering this surgery after researching all the bariatric surgery options. It seems it has the least amount of side effects, a great initial weight loss, and a decent long term weight loss. It all sounds really great, but I need to hear the "dark side" of it all, before I make the decision. I need to know the worst of the worst before I move forward with this plan.

A little about me, I'm 31, 5'10", 280lbs. my BMI is 40. I've just had my second child 4 months ago, and my post-baby weight is the same as my pre-baby weight...which, as it happens, is the weight I've been for the last 6 years. I've always been an athletically built girl...never super skinny...but at my best shape, I was a size 10 and weighed 170. I also didn't have 2 kids, a husband, and a career, so it was a little easier to take care of myself. Weight problems run in the family; my mom and younger sister are both morbidly obese, as are all the women on my mom's side of the family. No one really sticks to a diet or exercise program, they just like to complain and blame their lots in life on their weight. I'd like to break the cycle while I'm still young, and can enjoy an active lifestyle with my family, etc. I feel like the surgery could give me the boost I need to lead a healthy, active, confident lifestyle I so desperately want.

BUT, I'm concerned about the post-op world I'll live in. Here are some questions I have:

1. since you can't eat much, is your energy really low? I have to take care of 2 kids, so low energy is not too appealing

2. will you ALWAYS only be able to eat small amounts? Or, will your stomach stretch back to normal size eventually?

3. once you get past the first few weeks of liquid and soft foods, what dietary restrictions are there in your normal, day-to-day life?

4. I've heard you can throw up if you eat too much, what other physical side-effects can I expect post-op?

5. any regrets???

Thanks in advance for all your feedback. Some days I think this is the best idea ever, and other days, I think I'm crazy to consider it... just looking for answers either way at this point.

DarGar27's advice is the same as mine. The sleeve is a fabulous TOOL for helping change one's life for the better! I battled weight most of my life and until I turned 50 was never really obese at all. I had my surgery this year at age 60, and if there is any regret it's that I wasn't able to have this done 10 years ago when the weight started packing on with thyroid problems. I had about 5 weeks of lack of much energy but I never was sick at all, never regretted this, and have only totally enjoyed MORE energy and the happy effects of looking better and feeling better. I love sizing down in clothes and knowing I won't even save them in case I ever need them again! I have a wonderful support group monthly and it's really a great way to get tips on foods to try, etc., as well as help others coming along behind us!

5. any regrets???

If you can have someone help you the first week or so with your children (I am assuming they are young), then you should be fine. I don't have children, but I know that day 4 post surgery is the first day that I really felt "normal" again. I think it has something to do with when your surgeon allows you to start eating pureed foods - my surgeon allowed it on day 3. I felt so lethargic until then, but as I started eating some pureed foods on day 3 I did start feeling better. That's just my opinion though. Everyone is different when it comes to this.

I have been told that there are certain foods that I should never have again - but most of those are things that I never had before, so it's not a big deal to me. It's mainly the "empty calorie foods" that are on this list.

With the VSG surgery, approximately 70 to 90 % of your stomach is removed (the actual amount varies depending on your stomach's original size and the surgeon involved). What is left is the part along the "lesser curvature" which is the least stretchiest part of your stomach. So, it is really unlikely that your stomach will ever stretch to it's original size. It is possible for it to stretch some - so you do have to watch what you eat for the rest of your life otherwise you could end up reversing the benefits of this tool. It is a commitment to a completely new way of eating and looking at food. The surgery is just a tool to help you with that commitment.

Check out all the areas on these forums - you will find a LOT of information here. I would also recommend attending some support group meetings in your area - especially any for the surgeon that you are thinking of using. Talk to those people as they will be a great resource for you too since they will have first hand knowledge of that surgeon.

Hi and welcome!! I also think the best thing you can do is to attend one or more support group meetings at your prospective surgeon's practice. It is a great way of seeing how others experience life after being 'sleeved'. I am only 12 days post-op, but I haven't had any problems. I have a one year old, so I can relate to your energy concerns. I can only speak as to my experience, but I was only seriously pooped for the first 2 days post op (when I was in the hospital). Once I was able to have some full liquids (for me that was day 3), I felt like a brand new woman! There is the soreness, which can be a nuisance, but it gets better with each passing day. From what I understand from my research, your stomach won't ever stretch back to it's original size, but it can stretch some, so you should do your best to 'listen to your sleeve' and stop eating when you begin to feel full. As fas as regrets-my only one so far is that I didn't do this MUCH sooner! I LOVE my sleeve!!:D

5. any regrets???