Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all.. My name is Elissa, I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and I got my band put in about a month ago, and just had my first fill on Friday. I had a lot of pain at first, and was on serious painkillers for about 2 weeks. I still have the urge to overeat, although I did get sick for the first time yesterday, and I'm hoping the hell I've been through since then will dissuade me from overeating/eating the wrong things/eating too fast again.

I'm still not sure I made the right decision. Everywhere I turn, I have people tell me that they know someone who got the surgery and didn't lose the weight... that would be the worst thing in the world. This was a huge decision and a huge sacrifice for me, and it better work!! Why are people so negative? I understand I may never achieve my goal weight, and that's ok, but I need to lose 80 pounds at least (started at 245/5'4"). I'd love to get to 140/145 but I will understand if I don't.

I am really overwhelmed and I feel like crying. No one told me it would hurt this much. No one told me I'd still have the cravings. I really think I made a bad decision.

Is there anyone else out there that feels the same way or has in the past? Please help.

All alone,

Elissa

Elissa~ It is only natural to question what you have done... but it is also natural to worry to much.. so just setle down and enjoy your success.. If you work with the band it will work with you!

Also no offense to anyone that has had Gastric Bypass ... but I met a lady the other day that had GBP and she is so upset and has had major life threatening complications that told me if she had it to do over ...she would have chose the band instead...so my point is you get feed back good or bad from all angles. Take one day at a time follow your bandster rules and you will be a success!! You are new at all this so be easy oon yourself. look at my weight lose 100 pounds if I can do this so can you!! I started at 265 thats alot to weigh when your only 5'00 tall. This band will work ...keep your head high and know that with each day it will get better and your depression will start to demenish when you see the scale going in the right direction1!!!

The best thing about the band is that it may not be how you'd imagined and may not be working like you'd imagined, but you have it there, waiting until you're ready to take a deep breath and work with it.

It doesnt take away the cravings, that's right. I still have head hunger days and I do give into them sometimes too. But the longer I've been banded (7 months now) the more I'm gaining control of that. It doesnt happen straight away, but you work on it bit by bit and you will get there. I can now think about eating something I shouldnt and probably 70% of the time am able to think "nah, not worth it, I'm only cheating myself". The rest of the time I cave and enjoy it and then get on with things.

Bit by bit you change your behaviour, and its really the best way. OK so the weight loss might not come fast and instantly if you really have trouble with this, but it will happen slowly and gradually. YOu have to focus on your health as a while - mental and physical.

What type of pain are you in? Cause Im on day11 and Ive had a sharp pain in my front left side for about 2 days now, ever since I had my 1st pureed meal. Im trying not to panic.

Thanks Jacqui- I needed those words of encouragement. I am 6 weeks post-op. I have lost between 13-16 lbs. It has stayed between there for 2 weeks. Getting kind-of discouraged. It sure helps to read that as a whole, I did the right thing. I have not had a fill yet (July 21st) I was wondering what the percentage of you all felt hungry before your first fill

Thanks, Julia

Hi my name is Wanda I was banded on 3/14/06 I have lost approx 50lbs , I started at 324 lbs. I was exactly where you are I felt the pain, the hunger the frustrastion, I am a terrible fat eater. I want you to know it does get better and easier as time goes on have faith in yourself. Everywhere I go people comment did I lose weight its a great feeling you have to see what foods work for you , you can do it . Please hang in ther!!!!

I'm still not sure I made the right decision. Everywhere I turn, I have people tell me that they know someone who got the surgery and didn't lose the weight... that would be the worst thing in the world. This was a huge decision and a huge sacrifice for me, and it better work!! Why are people so negative? I understand I may never achieve my goal weight, and that's ok, but I need to lose 80 pounds at least (started at 245/5'4"). I'd love to get to 140/145 but I will understand if I don't.

Is there anyone else out there that feels the same way or has in the past? Please help.

All alone,

Elissa

:hug:

You're not all alone - this is a great place for info and support. I'm still waiting for my surgery, but my DH and his aunt both had it two years ago. DH is doing well, Aunt isn't. But Aunt hasn't gotten her fills, and isn't eating what she's supposed to. If you follow what your surgeon says, you'll be fine. Just know that it's a journey, and sometimes you might get a little lost and need directions. That's good - there are lots of places to get them.

Elissa, Just hang in there,I totally understand how you feel. I have not lost what I thought I would have by now. But I am noticing my pants are alot more comfortble(around the belly lol)I think the band was alot safer alternative.LOL we are gonna be like the turtle slow and steady but winning in the end.Just keep coming to this group for support and alllll kinds of wonderful tips and info.Good luck! I hope the pain has subsided and you are feeling better.

Sometimes the changes come about slowly. It took me several fills before the physical hunger was under control......and then it becomes MUCH easier to battle the head hunger. The cravings will go away, for the most part, lol. (I truly think that even skinny health conscious people have days where they make poor choices regarding foods/amounts, so it is not abnormal even well into this to have a day like that.) I remember feeling the exact same way shortly into this, but the pain WILL go away and you will start losing! Hang in there and dont pay any attention to the naysayers!

Elissa, I so understand where you are coming from. I've been banded for a month and my weight is all over the place. Initially I lost 12 lbs post op then quickly gained 5 lbs back. All I can do now is try and make the right food choices, which include amount of foods. In the end, what I am really trying to do is be good to myself. This includes exercise. Its difficult when you know you can do this but your main takes over. Try and be good to yourself. My first fill is July 17th and I'm hoping with some restriction it will not be as difficult. Keep the faith. We are here for you.

:faint: Hi ttray!

I have been having side pains too. I was banded May 11, 2006 and almost daily I have had a pain in both sides (like above my hipbones). The pain feels like, when you were a kid and would eat a lot and then go exercise or run and you get those pains in your side. Is that how yours is?

:clap2: Hi Elissa!

Please hang in there and a couple months down the road you are going to be so happy that you had the surgery. I've only lost 20 lbs, I've had 1 fill and will probably go back for another fill in a couple weeks, but I can see how much this "tool" (banding) helps. Keep your chin up and don't let the turkeys get you down! This is the start of a new life for you! Once you see the pounds start coming off, you will know that you did the right thing!!

As I posted in a previous thread:

This is a lifestyle change. There are weeks that I don't lose anything. BUT, when I do splurge and have that piece of cake, it is much smaller than pre-band. My eating habits in general have improved greatly. Yes, I get discouraged seeing others lose faster than me, but I take responsibility knowing it is my lack of exercise. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that I am NOT gaining weight. It may take me years to lose all of my excess weight, but that's okay. It took years to put in on! Slow and steady is the way to go for me. My skin is adjusting easier this way too. Hooray for the fast losers.........but also, hooray for those of us that are taking it a bit slower.

Don't get discouraged, Xena. The band is there for you. Yes, it does take work. It is a TOOL, not an automatic weight loss solution. Best of luck and hang in there!

Hang in there. For me, it was easy to fix the Physical by getting banded. It is taking much longer to fix the mental aspect of loosing weight. I am 36 and have struggled with weght as far back as I can remember. Thats hard to try to fix my head after that long of making bad food choices. It will get better, give it a chance and you will see. Hang in there, we are all here for you.