Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you to make a decision?

I've been thinking about surgery for almost a year, and researching for 2 months and thinking of booking self pay surgery in TJ in September. Just wondering how long it took everyone else to decide?

I started seriously thinking about the surgery in November and did some research then. Took a break for the holidays and then attended my first informational meeting in early January. My surgery was April 12, so about 6 months total. I also changed my mind about what type of surgery I wanted.

I made the decision at Universal Studios when I couldn't get on a ride that just 6 months earlier I could get on. I looked into surgery 10 years ago, but wasn't ready to give up food and alcohol at the time (I was 20). Now I've grown up and out so it's time!! It has taken me 2 months to get all the tests and dr. clearances and my surgery date is in 19 days and I'm not even cranky on my pre-op diet! Know that you are ready to make the change and if your not... its not your time yet. If you are jump on the bandwagon and we will all be here for you! Good Luck!

I've been thinking about it and lurking probably since last March when my friend had her bypass surgery. Then in December, my GYN was running routine blood work and told me my cholesterol was too high and I had to be put on meds. That was the deciding moment. Started researching surgery types and decided on the lapband. I went to my PCP on January 12th, got 'script for Crestor and went to a seminar that evening. I hadn't really heard about VSG until then but that seminar changed my mind. VSG for me. Scheduled an appointment right then and there to meet with the surgeon and got the ball rolling. Took my time researching Surgeons but ultimately decided on the one who presented at the seminar.

I knew I had to do something when my husband at the time was making fun of me getting on my horse.:huh: It was then that I knew I had to do something. I never had an issue with it before but I'm ready to change this and start feeling better in general and about myself.:) I realized I wasn't able to live the life I wanted to and that my teenage girls are worried about me letting it get this far out of control. Having support of your loved ones means everything but if they can't understand then they need to gain a 100lbs and carry it around for 5 yrs.LOL...... Ok...I'll stop venting.:P