Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There I said it, I am a convenient eater. If it is easy for me to eat then it is in my mouth. I am pre-op waiting 2 more supervised diet visits then hopefully surgery at the end of September or October. I have been trying to eat 1/2 cup amounts every 2-3 hours like I will be doing after surgery. I am eating high Protein and trying to keep my carbs under 30 grams daily. So far I have lost 45 lbs since i started. Here is my issue, I am still in the same old habit of grabbing premixed Protein Drinks, already made fruit cups and applesauce and of course greek yogurt. I can't even get motivated to get up earlier to fix me an egg in the morning instead of the shake. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!! I so want to change as I know the convenient eating is what got me in this unhealthy state I am in now. Fast Foods, Eating Out, it is such an quick solution to hunger. Even now, when I am trying to eat as I will after my sleeve, I continue to look for the easy way to feed me. Are there others out there like this???? What pointers do you have that I can use? Please help :blink:

I am the same way! I have my last monthly visit Aug 1st and should be scheduled for surgery mid Sept hopefully. Congrad's on being able to eat 1/2 cup portions though. I try so hard to just limit the amount I eat but I still find myself eating a whole sub with chips and Water for lunch. I did give up soda about 2 months ago but haven't seen any weight loss from that. I keep telling myself that ive lost weight before alone that I can do it again, but I just cant. Im excited to get my sleeve and give me the tool of restriction but also am worried about not having a "normal" life seeing im only 24.

dreynolds05,

I am there I gave up my McDonalds sweet tea and was fortunate to see a small weight loss because of it. I know what you mean about the sub and chips. I will be glad when we both have a tool that will help us with portion size. I stuggle so with that. Please keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same. Good Luck :rolleyes:

Oh heck yeah, I can totally relate. I was really worried about it before surgery too. I had made some small changes and lost some weight. I have been off reg AND diet sodas for almost a yr now. But I was still a fast food type person for the convenience, as well as the "gotta have it now" mentality. I didn't plan ahead and keep things on hand or prepare meals ahead of time. And that hunger I used to have, where I didn't wanna even take the time it required to cook before i shoved it in my mouth. But the sleeve has helped that, I don't get the omg I am starving, get in my belly NOW, feeling. I get a sort of empty feeling and kinda go by what time I ate last to confirm it is actually real hunger, not head hunger or acid.

But I have to admit, I do mostly easy/convenient type foods at home. Cause to be honest, I don't know any other way of life,so I think as long as it's a good Protein source and all, it's ok. I don't do the Protein Shakes as much, but I really like the taste and convenience of boiled eggs now. So I boil half a dozen or more at a time, to have on hand to eat, or to add to tuna/chicken salad, or make egg salad with. I've been babysitting this wk, and having to get up and leave WAY earlier than I am used to, so I have been taking my boiled eggs, cottage cheese, cans of tuna and chicken, my diet green teas, so I will have the ability to keep up with my protein. I use greek yogurt a lot not just cuz of convenience but it's high in protein and makes meat go down so much easier if I make it into dips. I add it to the tuna/chicken/egg salad. I use it in place of sour cream. I do string cheese and other cheeses a lot to add more protein to stuff. I will also take a whole bag of the frozen chicken breasts and put in the crock pot before bedtime, then the next day I divide it up into small portions and use some for chicken salad, some to dip in greek yogurt/w/ranch mix. I really like the hidden valley fiesta ranch mix. Or I will use other sauces and flavors like BBQ Sauce, teriyaki sauce, white sauce (the kind that goes on bbq and smoked chicken) etc. to kinda change up each meal. You do have to watch the sauces for sugar and stuff, but some have fewer carbs than others. But I do eat a lot of chicken. lol. I like how the crock pot will make meat tender and fairly moist, I hate dry meat.

But anyway!!! You are not alone!! And you have done a fabulous job losing 45 lbs pre-op, congrats!!! It seems to me, you are doing a good job of preparing yourself mentally for the sleeve and making positive changes. Give yourself some credit, and I am working on becoming more of a real cook, but until i master it, as long as I do protein first, I ain't gonna worry too much about it. The sleeve really does make it easier to stop and think and plan meals out, so you have that to look forward to!!

:)

Kelly L

Thank you so much for the food tips. When I get home tonight, I a boiling some eggs (why didn't I think of that). I am going to get some of those chicken beasts and cook them up too. Never thought of the ranch dressing mix in the yogurt. I am gonna try that. Thank you again for all your ideas. They really help!!! :rolleyes:

I'm on purees right now. I'm doing some canned Soups, blend them up and heat up for lunch or whatever. I also make "big" batches of tuna/chicken/egg salad and keep in the fridge so I can just grab it, individual cottage cheese, individual greek yogurt. Going out is great because they'll puree up my Soup for me or I can order salmon and chew it REALLY good and swallow with a bit of ranch dressing and then bring home for 3 more meals. LOL. Hubby made me some of eggface's ricotta bake and put them into individual ramekins and I ate one and had 3 more for later, just zap them in the microwave.

I'm all about grabbing and going.

I'm a baker, not a cook so I still eat mostly convenience foods. Protein shakes, yogurt, Jerky, Soups, etc. during the day. I cook a healthy dinner for the family every night and that's pretty much the only time I put effort into food prep. I'm very fortunate that my hunger is all but gone so I don't have an urge to snack anyway.

Every now and then I'll cook an egg for b'fast but at 3 months out I still can't eat a whole one. I hate wasting food so it's just easier to dink a shake.

Make extra when you cook. I grill a ton of chicken once a week. We eat it as a dinner the first night when it's fresh off the grill. Then I use the rest as leftovers for salad, chicken salad, quick snack etc. Maybe make a few side salads already preportioned so they are a convenience food. The boiled egg idea is a good one. My lunch will be a palte with a string cheese, a couple deli turkey roll ups, a strawberry and some pepperoncinis for example. It's all easy, but looks gourmet on the plate all cute and delicious.

Kelly L

Thank you so much for the food tips. When I get home tonight, I a boiling some eggs (why didn't I think of that). I am going to get some of those chicken beasts and cook them up too. Never thought of the ranch dressing mix in the yogurt. I am gonna try that. Thank you again for all your ideas. They really help!!! :rolleyes:

You're welcome!! My tastes have changed, I didn't like boiled eggs too much pre-op lol. Glad to be of any help.

:)