Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from France! I have two concerns that I'd welcome your input on: nerves about the operation and concerns about starting a new job shortly after being banded.

I'm scheduled to be banded on Tuesday morning (07/11) and I've been researching this and gleaning first-hand information from this and another site for a few months. My head tells me that I should get the band, but my emotions are all over the place about it. I already have a foreign object in my body due to shoulder replacement surgery 10 years ago (which was a result of picking up a golden staph bacteria during minor shoulder surgery in the US 20 years ago). I think that, as a result of my previous bad hospital experience, I'm terrified of more surgery and all the possible complications and scarring, not so much of learning to live/eat with the band itself (which is reversible afterall). I've got 50kgs/110lbs to lose, and I've lost big chunks of weight umpteen times before through will-power alone, but always gain everything back and then some more, so my brain knows that the band would be a great tool to help me lose it all again, and more importantly, keep it off, but I'm just so darned nervous about going into hospital. Please tell me it's really worth it, and that I'll feel totally normal again after a few weeks, just not be able to overeat anymore....

Another concern of mine is that I'll be starting a new job as legal counsel in a few weeks' time, having taken off 5 years to raise my children. Am I taking on too much at once (band and new job)? I think the timing could have been better, but I have had a state health insurance imposed "waiting period" of 12 months before being able to have the band placed, and the operation just coincides with the time I will be beginning my new job. Will I feel up to the challenge of a new job a few weeks after getting the band, or will I be feeling light-headed and weak, obsessed with my eating and unable to concentrate at work because of being newly banded? I still have one day in which to chicken out of getting the band or would I be better off just getting on and doing it now instead of delaying the procedure another 6 months or so?

I would really appreciate any support, advice, comments about my concerns based on your own experiences....

Deana.

Deana,Welcome from Texas. Even tho your surgery is strictly up to you,I would do it again in a heart beat. Being nervous is only natural but besides

having gas and a sore tummy its a breeze and a god send for us over weight people. I don't work but I would have been well ready after a week. Just be sure you take something you can have for lunch or a snack

unless it is available to you at work.I think working would take your mind off the band a little. Just remember that you do have it and follow your doctors orders. It isn't hard.Good luck to you and I say GET ER DONE.:)

Thanks fir the welcome, Sallyjo. I know that nerves before surgery is par for the course, but I'm really concerned about not feeling "myself" and not being able to think straight due to a much lower intake of calories. This has happened when I've been on restrictive diets in the past, but it was easy to just (ch)eat some carbs and feel fine again almost immediately:). I'm glad to hear that you felt so good after a week and I suppose that as with all attempts at losing weight, planning and preparation will be the best way to deal with the unknown....

Deana.

Deanna

Nerves are part of the process. Many of us have "tried everything." The weight comes back ... with friends! My weight gain was not so much in indulging in sweets, entire bags of potato chips, etc., as just plain overeating. I watch what I eat because with a little bitty stomach, I can't eat very much. The ravenous hunger is gone (after the healing phase). I definately would do it again.

I've had other surgeries, and this one was easy. It was outpatient. I had the surgery around noon and was home by dinnertime. (Not that I was having any. :rolleyes ) I can understand that you might really nervous since you have had surgery complications in the past. But the past is past. This is now. Look forward.

Starting a new job? You said a few weeks after surgery? I would think no problem. If it was within one week, you might be pushing it. A new job might be good to keep your mind occupied so you aren't thinking about food so much. I would be sure to eat really Protein rich foods. You will be on liquids by then I would think. Thinned and blended Soups (think chicken noodle, here) and easy on a new stomach and good brain food.< /p>

Good luck.

...I'm really concerned about not feeling "myself" and not being able to think straight due to a much lower intake of calories. This has happened when I've been on restrictive diets in the past, but it was easy to just (ch)eat some carbs and feel fine again almost immediately:). ....

Deana.

Honestly, I was not very hungry until just before I could start eating soft foods. (I was really ready by then.) My doctor defined liquid as anything that could be sucked through a straw. I blended all kinds of food and thinned them with milk if they were too thick. That way I got good nutrition and was never light-headed. Because my stomach was swollen I was not able to eat much and I felt full. I couldn't eat more that half a cup and it satisfied me.

Hope this helps.

Stitchy, thanks for your helpful comments. I'm not a binge eater either (well, sometimes, but not regularly:o); my main problem is that I overeat, whether I'm hungry or not. I have a hard time knowing when I've had enough, and because I enjoy food so much, I just want to keep going.... I'm looking forward to having an internal mechanism that will let me know when enough is enough, and I'm looking forward to the day when I'll "forget to eat" as I've seen some people mention on this board! You may be right too that a new job would keep my mind occupied so that I won't have time to think about the band and about eating. It may just be awkward for the first weeks having to find excuses about not eating in the cafetaria with co-workers, but I'm sure that I'll think of something:nervous.

If this is a new job, you will have new coworkers, right? You just like to eat light lunches and Soups do the trick for you. Shouldn't require any explanations.

Going onto the table is no fun, is it? I'm told that I flirted with my anesthesiologist right before going under. I remember her telling me that she was going to give me some exotic gas. I asked if Michael Jackson had farted. I don't remember saying "You're cute!"

Hi there,

Sorry, I forgot to check in on this thread when I came home! I'm one week post-op today and came home 3 days after the surgery. Everything went well and now I'm trying to adjust to this strange new thing. I have some moments of regret (especially since experience unusual port tenderness yesterday, and very annoying shoulder pain today), but mostly like the fact that I'm full after quite a small meal! I lost about 9 lbs during the 4 days in the hospital on Clear Liquids, and have lost nothing since then, but my doctor has had me eating solids since day 4, so this perhaps explains why I haven't been losing any more!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement I've had from everyone. It's really nice to know that I'm not alone!

Deana.