Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want a pickle- I mean IN a Pickle :)

I am 17 days post op... mexico.. lap band to sleeve revision. I an wondering- did i screw up at the beggining? I was very active, and seemed to be in pain so that i could not stay down.. gulped fluids and pretty much exchausted myself.... had terrible diarhea etc... now i am home.. it is over 2 weeks and this is my firrst day of real resting... i can tollerate everything much better- fluids, Protein etc... i think it is because i am relaxed... but i have noticed that i can retain fluids and drink\eat quickly and allot. By being so frenzied at first did i stretch the pouch right off the bat? now i am couscious and taking time to self care... i just could not at first.. i had to et home from mexico then california ..the travel just about did me in with the luggage and etc... have i screwed myself and it is too late to heal properly? now i am noticing pain, and my body, where as before i was in survival mode a bit.. even is hospital i was up and running around every hour.. it must be how i deal w pain. came home w no pain meds and was misrarible.. cramps and what not.. spent lots of time in the hot shower... and pacing.. now i can relax. im just scared that i am a screw up and its the hardest lesson to learn to hear ur own body and to care for oneself. did i just screw myself with my last chance.? im hard on everyting-shoes, cars, my body... im feeling it now. i guess i need to find a general practisioner.. bit the bullett

Just slow down. You were probably able to do more in the hospital and on the way home because of the residual pain medication and anesthesia. I was up and moving ALOT in the week or two after surgery, but it caught up to me and my body let me know very quickly and clearly that I had just had major surgery and needed to let my body heal. Take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself. Take a nap or just lay down and watch television for a while. If you notice that you can eat/drink more than your doctor said you should be able to it's probably because your swelling went down pretty quickly.

It could be that you are just now at a point that your body is dealing with the lack of nutrition. At first, you had several reserves/stores of Vitamins, minerals, etc. in your body and you were probably also somewhat under pain meds, anesthesia and just plain excitement of what you have done. If you can get to a general practitioner have them check your Vitamin levels to see if you have started to have any issues that way. You probably are just eating more because your body is begging for some help. I wouldn't worry too much about that, concentrate on only eating when you are hungry, and in getting the best possible foods in your body you can. Also, you've been through a lot, it's only a bit more than 2 weeks and you had a revision, give yourself a break and catch up on rest/sleep, etc. If your pain is such that you can't be relieved with otc pain meds, then do get with a doctor to make sure you don't need something stronger. Baby yourself, you deserve it!!

First - don't panic. Sipping clear liquid is much easier than eating real food - It is impossible to stretch the pouch in the first week. Some people have an easier time with liquids than others in the first couple of weeks. If you are in pain, make sure to take your gas-x and walk. Take some tylenol if you need it for non-gas pain.

Otherwise, watch out for complication symptoms: nausea, not keeping Water down, extreme pain, fever. If you don't have those symptoms, you are probably doing just fine. Try to relax and get through the first few weeks of liquids and then re-assess your intake when you get to real food. You will find that you can't eat much real food at all.

Take care of yourself--