Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood thinning injections before and after surgery??

I will be banded on July 17. I have to give myself a blood thinning injection (heparin for example,to prevent blood clots) the day before surgery and then for two weeks after, 2-3 times/day!!! I"m dreading this!!! Has anyone else had to do this??

MDG :help:

I was given 2 injections of Lovenox following surgery. My Dr. here recommended it as well since I would be flying so soon following surgery. My DH has been taking the Lovenox shots along with coumadin, to deal with a blood clot he has. With something this serious, (blood thinners are not to be taken lightly) I would be asking some major questions! And they always warn you about cutting yourself, but the cardiologist told my DH the biggest thing to be careful of, is not banging your head...it can cause sudden serious brain bleeds...so BE CAREFUL!!! And avoid the heat he was told. I think you really need to have a talk with your Dr. before doing this! HE should have your answers, much better than us here...we WANT to help, but some things are beyond us! GOOD LUCK!!

Kat

I saw them do it on a episode of Supersize surgery to that guy Nick..he was almost 400 lbs........is your BMI really high by chance?????????

I received lovenox in the hospital before surgery, and the day after, but was not required to go home with it. I took it to prevent blood clots that may be more prevalent with lack of movement, etc. according to my MD. My BMI was 47.1, if that gives you any concept. I think it's a preventative medicine, but ask your MD to be sure.

I had one before surgery and about 3 after surgery till I went home the following morning...I don't understand why for 2 weeks after...you should ask your doctor why so long. They burn like crazy

I have a blood clotting disorder so will be having the injections in hospital and giving them to myself for a week following. I also have to use them when I fly more than a couple of hours.

I will be banded on the 18th and was told to even quit taking my aspirin a day a week before surgery.

They wanted nothing in my system that would cause extensive bleeding during the operation.

I had bilateral pulmonary emboli in January and was placed on Coumadin. Genetic testing showed I was positive for a gene called MTHFR 2 which predisposes me to blood clots. Therefore, I came off Coumadin before surgery and took Lovinox injections twice a day until I could go back on the Coumadin 3 days post-op.

If you have no history of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or blood clots in your lungs (PEs's), I see no reason to take heparin injections post-op. You're up and moving a few hours after surgery and have compression booties or stockings on until you get up... including during the surgery.

Hootiebelle,

I think my BMI was 44. I"m 5'2" and weigh 241lbs. Thanks for the info.

Dody,

Apparently aspirin works differently than Lovenox and heparin.

The prevention of blood clots post operatively is one of the things the doctors focus on in the immediate post op period. It's my understanding that the use of blood thinners with this particular surgery is kind of rare, but it would depend on your pre-op blood work and your own personal risk factors.

Talk to your doctor. Ask questions of him/her and find out exactly why these are necessary. If you get a very vague or parachute answer like "to prevent complications" or "to prevent blood clots", ask for clarification as to why YOU need it. The more informed you are, the more apt you are to be compliant.

There are some docs who require Lovenox routinely, to prevent any surprises overall. Just because you don't have a history, does not mean you cannot have a clot following any surgery. I would think this would particularly apply to the obese.

Like, Elizabeth, I'm on Coumadin for DVT/PE. I took Lovenox 5 days prior and again after my lapband surgery, until I was able to get my Coumadin level therapeutic again.

It wasn't required for me, but I do know that obese people are more susceptible to blood clots post surgical procedure. I believe that the blood work they have you do ahead of time may be able to partly determine how susceptible you may be. As someone mentioned, even without something showing up on a test or in your medical history, there is still a risk of blood clots. If you are going to be flying after your procedure it will increase your risks again. So you may have multiple risk factors, or only one. Different Dr.'s are more or less agressive in their use of blood thinners. I did have the circulation/leg massagers on during surgery, and my post-op orders were to move around as much as possible, and to move my feet and wiggle my toes often to keep good blood flow happening and reduce the likely hood of clotting. I have read in other threads of people needing to self-administer shots pre and post surgery that were prescribed to them to help prevent clots, so you're definitely not the only one. I agree with others that if you're unsure why your Dr. wanted you to do so to get in touch with him so he can explain why he's prescribed them for you.

XO

Leila