Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back pain or stress after weight loss?

I have lost almost all of my weight and I need 15 more pounds until goal. Just the past 6 months I have noticed a lot of back pain in my lower back. And just this week I strained a disc in my lower back (laid me out for about a week now). I think it may be because I did my weight loss within a year and maybe my stomach and back muscles aren't strong enough to take the drastic change??? Granted, when I was a police officer carrying around that heavyyyy duty belt didn't help, but I resigned 3 weeks ago and STILL hurt my back pretty bad.

Well most of you know how much I love a good poll, so I thought this might be a good topic! So.... have you had back pain since weight loss?

Princess - interesting to hear you are a former police officer. I too was a police officer and resigned about 4 years ago. I teach school now. (sometimes I think I went from the frying pan to the fire! lol) I remember working detectives and carring my .45 in a shoulder holster - WOW! I ended up in the chiropracter (sp) office with a really stiff neck.

Terry :scared:

Thanks to both of you , Jenna & Terry, for doing not 1 but 2 very important jobs!!! I have had a L4-L5, S1 station disc herniation for several years now. Losing some weight has definitely helped. But getting some of the just plain ol' flab out from under the skin on my stomach, I can see how poor the muscles really are. I am going to try to begin, carefully gaining some muscle control. I would appreciate any advice on how not to do this in a way that would make it worse! I will be watching your thread to see what you learn! I will say if the Dr. gives you any stretching exercises...DO THEM!! It is all that keeps me upright I think. If I miss as much as one day, I am miserable! But they aren't much for rebuilding or even exercising the muscles. Great question, I too wish a poll had worked!!

Kat

I've had periodic back pain since surgery. Mostly it's when I drop 5 or 10 lbs in a short amount of time. I guess it's good I'm a slow loser, because I'll drop 5 or 10, and my back will be sore for a while but will get better while I'm stuck.

On thing to keep in mind is that when we are heavy, we cary our bodies in a certian way, we are used to moving a certian way. Once we lose weight, things shift.

I'm sure Capt'n Jack can give a better explanation.

Of course, all weight loss is purely hearsay. :)