Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Time to step from the lurker shadows and introduce myself. I joined a few weeks back and have enjoyed reading pretty much every post here since then. I'm in the Jacksonville, FL area, getting sleeved by Dr. Steven Webb. I am self pay, and have gone through every step except having sign off from my primary care doc, which I anticipate early next week. Supposedly, the surgery will be scheduled 2 weeks after that sign off, so I'm most likely looking end of July/Early August. I'm happy/excited/nervous/terrified about reaching this point. But man, I sure have some doubts and issues about the whole thing.

On the one hand, I've done a ridiculous amount of research and know the procedure backwards and forwards, yet at the same time I feel overwhelmed by the little things... taking the proper Vitamins... eating the correct calories... drinking enough Water ... eating the right things, etc. NO idea what to expect. Part of my issue is that I'm pretty down on myself for not being able to do this without help. I'd always been an athlete (football, baseball, tennis, swimming, etc), so the fact I let myself slip so far the last 10 years is quite depressing. I know this is the best thing for me, but it's hard coming to grips with. Another thing I worry about is that 2 of my favorite things in the world are enjoying good food and enjoying a good happy hour, and I know this will never be the same. And I know that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it's obviously led me where I am today. I have always been the stereotypical, funny, fun loving fat guy that always has a smile and a good time. I worry I'll lose that. Silly, I know. I've been stressed about should I go ahead and start a high Protein diet now to try and get as much off as possible prior to surgery, or should I go on a food world tour to say so long to my favorite foods, at least for a few months. I know that's probably not good for me, by, as I said, I'm stressed about it.

Anyway, had to get that out there. I am very appreciative of this forum, and I look forward to getting to know you all.

WELCOME!!!!! Your going to like us in here. . . we are a great support team and can at times, get on each others nerves, but then that is what families do right? any questions you may have are more then welcome and no question is dumb! the only dumb question is the one not asked. . . so again, welcome!

Welcome to the forums. Don't stress about loosing weight before the surgery. What I did was start incorporating 1 Protein shake a day and started eating a bit healthier (no more fast food) before the doc put me on the 12 day pre-op diet that I am doing now. I think doing it the way I did is making this a bit easier - although really, I have a really generous pre-op diet and the only problem I had was days 3 - 5 where I craved certain things like pizza.

This is a life changing decision, so make sure you are really ready to make those changes. If you are not, then take the extra time. Otherwise, go for it!

Thanks for the support! I read through what I posted last night and sheesh, I sure did come across as whiney! I'm honestly very excited about having this done and the prospects that lay ahead for me. I've had my weight steal from me most all the things I have loved to do, so I imagine that's why I'm clinging to the food and happy hours. I'm a serious MBA (man by the acre) right now - 6'4, 455 lbs - so getting around is tough on the knees and back. But I anticipate being able to start going back to concerts, sporting events, hikes... heck, just going! Should be a great ride :)

You really shouldbn't be down on yourself, what has happened to you happens to a lot of people who were athletic. You get so used to eating that many calories because you were so active and burned them off and then when your life becomes more sedentary you are still eating the calories and not burning them off. All of the concerns and worries are normal. Everyone has them, so ask your questions state your views and vent when you want to. The people here will give you all the answers that you need and want and if they don't have the answer then they will know where to send you to get them.

P.S. You will still be able to enjoy happy hour, just not be able to eat as much as you used to ;) One of the great things about the sleeve is that unlike the RNY you can still eat relatively normal later on in your journey. Oh and they are taking out your stomach not your personality! I am sure you will be the same happy fun loving guy just with more confidence and less mass ;)

Welome and you gotta finish the statement "Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste" - always loved the Stones! I may not be a man of wealth - taste has been very important in my life, and that is why I am here also - lol.

Know what you mean on the the pride stuff - up until my surgery 11 days ago, I would do 65 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym, but if I did not diet - weight would still creep on till I was at a BMI of over 50. I was so embarrased about having WLS, I told as few people as possible that I was having surgery - and only 4 people (wife, mother, daughter and a freind who had gastric bypass) what the surgery was. The truth of the matter is - I do not think "normal" people have ever been as hungry as I got on a daily basis.

While I am in a tough situation right now in my recovery (liquid diet phase w/ dumping syndrome - which is rare for sleeves, but not unheard of) - I still think I made the correct decision, just counting the days till I can start having pureed foods so I can get some decent protien.

Good Luck and welcome aboard! -Kevin

Thanks for the support! I read through what I posted last night and sheesh, I sure did come across as whiney! I'm honestly very excited about having this done and the prospects that lay ahead for me. I've had my weight steal from me most all the things I have loved to do, so I imagine that's why I'm clinging to the food and happy hours. I'm a serious MBA (man by the acre) right now - 6'4, 455 lbs - so getting around is tough on the knees and back. But I anticipate being able to start going back to concerts, sporting events, hikes... heck, just going! Should be a great ride :)

hey i was a full blown body builder back in my day and then let myself go big time! I stayed like that forever and then had the surgery, now i've lost quite a bit of the weight and have the body builder body there but my umph to go work out isn't there anymore. . .i've lost the weight and can do so much more now but i'm a lot older too and it's just not there. . . i've been approached to come back to body building by trainers but i don't think i can devote 4 - 5 hours to the gym after working 8 - 9 hours during the day. . . ugh the joys of life! :) but you know i'm glad just to be there and enjoy myself and enjoy my new life! Hubbie thinks i'm doing great and thats all that really matters. . . Your going to do very well and keep posting!

FINALLY! Lol, I just have to tell you how excited I am to read your post. I have been dying for someone else to be having surgery with Dr. Webb in J-ville. Welcome to the forum! You can definitely start the diet now, and maybe even go on the pre-surgery diet to get a head start on shrinking the liver. The binder Novus Center gave you should have everything in it that you need to get started.

Also, it is not about letting go of the foods you love. It is about developing a new relationship with them. I mean last night I had a BBQ picnic with my program and.... Let me get this out now, I LOVE PIE.... Okay, so I really love pie. I normally would have two pieces at least! They even gave me the rest of the pie to take home and you know what? I went for the second piece and only had a bite. Me? The pie lover extraordinaire? Yes! One bite and I put it in the trash. I didn't need it and I didn't want it controlling me. You can do this.

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!! You will find that a lot of us were middle/high school and university athletes... and we are here for the same reason, so don't beat yourself up!! We got used to eating what we wanted and burning off the calories, and when the exercising stopped/slowed down, we kept eating like before... That's why my butt has it's own zip-code... LOL biggrin.gif

@Wishes--- GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! biggrin.gif

FINALLY! Lol, I just have to tell you how excited I am to read your post. I have been dying for someone else to be having surgery with Dr. Webb in J-ville. Welcome to the forum! You can definitely start the diet now, and maybe even go on the pre-surgery diet to get a head start on shrinking the liver. The binder Novus Center gave you should have everything in it that you need to get started.

Also, it is not about letting go of the foods you love. It is about developing a new relationship with them. I mean last night I had a BBQ picnic with my program and.... Let me get this out now, I LOVE PIE.... Okay, so I really love pie. I normally would have two pieces at least! They even gave me the rest of the pie to take home and you know what? I went for the second piece and only had a bite. Me? The pie lover extraordinaire? Yes! One bite and I put it in the trash. I didn't need it and I didn't want it controlling me. You can do this.

@Wishes - Thanks for your reply, and you make a really good point about changing rather than abandoning the relationship. No reason I can't still love smaller portions and better choices, right? Also Good to know I'm not the only soon to be Webb-erized sleever! I had 4 local docs all recommend Dr. Webb, and he seems like a pretty straight forward guy to me, so I feel good about having him as the dude. I guess I can let you know in a few weeks!

@thinoneday - i know what you mean... I used to be a heavy lifter... still am I guess, just now the heavy lifting is my body weight, hahaha. Anyway, I have no desire to get back as strong as I used to be, I'd love to spend some time lean though!

@medmgr - I'm currently struggling with whether to tell people about the surgery. Obviously my family all know, if for no other reason than there's always a risk with surgery and I'd hate to go out without letting them know about it. But friends and such... is it really their concern?

To everyone else, I really appreciate your input... nice to know there's a place to come and discuss this stuff.

Update! Finally got my sleeve on September 20. The surgery apparently went very smoothly, and honestly has been so much easier than I ever anticipated it would be. I've had no sore throat, no problems getting my liquids in, very little pain (though I think the pain pump in the hospital might have a little something to do with that :)). i was able to eat a full cup of broth, Jello and a Jello pop the day after surgery, and now that I am home I'm not taking any pain medicine and have no problem functioning at all. I'm amazed at how smoothly this has gone for me. Really it makes me nervous, as I'm kind of waiting on the other shoe to drop. The only problems I'm having are getting in calories and Protein. My calorie high so far has been < 300, and my Protein high is 44g... both of which I know are extremely low. I know they'll both jump when I progress to the next eating level... just worried I'm not getting enough right now.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm ecstatic, and anyone debating having this surgery, I HIGHLY recommend.

Welcome to the losers bench!!!! So glad you are doing well. I was like you. No complications and pretty much sailed through and it's been down hill from there (in a good way). I'm so happy with my sleeve and my progress. I still struggle getting my Proteins in but that's in part because I have a lactose intolerance and most shakes really bother me as well. But overall it's been wonderful. I say all this because I too had, and sometimes still have, that "waiting for the other shoe to drop" thoughs and feelings. That's when I come to the board!!! and get my "postive thoughts fix." LOL Good things can happen! Best of luck. Looking forward to reading about all your progress!!!!