Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two people DYING recently in Mexico on the operating table??

Remember that some facilitators that work for some surgeons will start rumors and put doubt in peoples mind about certain surgeons, then they will talk great things about the surgeons they work for so more people will go to their surgeon because they get commission. This just happened. Someone from one surgeons office slandered Dr Almanza but dr A and Bettencourt proved she lied and sued her In a slander lawsuit.

Dr Almanza is the best in TJ. And no one has died!!!

Im sure there are others that are great surgeons too but yes it's like a cattle call and it is different in Mexico. But safe, clean and an excellent surgeon is what's important.

With this said. I have researched deaths in Mexico and can not find any truth to it.

i heard the same stuff but really i think alot of it is fake

Because we were there. June 3rd. Dr. Kelly. My daughter went first and did fine. Gibgirly (debbie) was 34 with no co morbids and perfectly healthy but Dr. Kelly nicked an artery and when they went back in they couldnt find the source and couldn't get the bleeding to stop. This information is from the father of the girl with whom I've been keeping in contact with. She had told one girlfriend who was listed as her contact. Apparently she had also given this girlfriend my number just in case and her parents contacted me through her girlfriend.

This has been a very difficult time. It was pretty traumatic.

Regarding the other death that I am aware of was Dr. Kuri with whom I am not familiar. Dr. Kelly actually told me about that one. I tried to google it back then but it seems like that may have been a lap band situation and I have no clue what happened. Dr. Kelly was just really concerned because of all of the negative publicity Dr. Kuri was getting. Odd.

Wow that has to be an emotional roller coaster for you. Not to mention that poor girls family. How horrific.

I also used Dr. Pompa as some people mentioned above she is a median priced surgeon but has a great track record on safety. I had a great experience with her. I think Dr. Aceves is well worth the money but I think there are some doctors like Pompa that are very very safe that are more affordable if you are crunching numbers. I know it is so hard to wrap our heads as Americans around the concept of having to shop for medical care because our insurance system here is so different. I guess it is more like shopping for plastic surgeons in America then anything else. I think if you do have insurance and you are not used to paying for medical care out of pocket or minimal out of pocket we arent sure what to do, if we had to pay cash we would have to rely a lot more on cost and repuation in America then we do currently.

2nd: Expensive doesn't always mean the best.... but cheap usually means someone is cutting corners somewhere. IMO. I don't want corners cut just because it is a crap shoot on if might be a statistic. I want the cards stacked that if I have a complication there is adequate medical knowledge, equipment and a team that has the wherewithal to know that they need to get me somewhere else and FAST.

Dr Rodriguez works out of both Tijuana, and Juarez.. the hospital is Star Medica..

_contact BeLiteWeight.. they will give you all of his information. reasonable prices

OK, this scares me. I was all for Almanza, even though I'm not thrilled with my choice. I'm hoping to make it out of the cattle call and be healthy and move on after the 3 days. I was considering Dr. Kelly, but now I'm hearing about deaths. I'd LOVEEEE Aceves, but he's just too expensive. Is there any middle ground Doctor in TJ who does a decent job? This scares me.... I always heard great things about Dr. Kelly.

Hi,

I would do what ever it took if I were you to have Dr. Aceves do your surgery. I can't figure out why people put their life in danger when it comes to WLS. This isn't about the price of the surgery--this is about YOUR LIFE. This is for the REST of your life and being healthy and alive. You can get surgery loans for the money you don't have. We are always willing to get a car loan. Why not get a "body" loan. Everything you hear about Dr. Acveves is so very true. You are worth having the very best medical care you can if you are paying for it. I know it is difficult when you don't have all the money, but please consider what I said.

Hugs

Suzanne

OK, this scares me. I was all for Almanza, even though I'm not thrilled with my choice. I'm hoping to make it out of the cattle call and be healthy and move on after the 3 days. I was considering Dr. Kelly, but now I'm hearing about deaths. I'd LOVEEEE Aceves, but he's just too expensive. Is there any middle ground Doctor in TJ who does a decent job? This scares me.... I always heard great things about Dr. Kelly.

Like some other people have suggested. If you are concerned about you life and health, maybe you might want to save up and go to Dr. Aceves. I went in 2008, and I loved him. You know there are also loans available for this surgery. We never stop and think twice about making car payments. So way not make payments to change your entire life forever. You certainly are worth the cost of having a great doctor!

I wish all of you great success. For me I wanted the best I could find and after a lot of research, I knew it was Dr. Aceves.

Hugs and take care of yourself.

Suzanne

Hi Pink Betty!

I am 2 weeks post surgery with Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. I did a LOT of research and it was between him and Aceves. However' date=' I kept going back to Ortiz. I am soooo glad I did. If you go to his website you will get a lot of information and he also has a lot of You Tube Videos by weightlosssurgery (I think).

I will be glad to give you more information if you want to PM me. You don't see his name much on this blog, but I can tell you he is awesome. I have had NO problems at all. His staff is amazing. His Center is VERY clean. He also is an International Center Of Excellence. (A recognition given by an organization in the states to stateside doctors and now to international doctors as they qualify.)[/quote']

Just so everyone knows when I went to my weight loss seminar here in NC, the doctor said that they were also a Center of Excellence and the way they keep that is by doing so many surgeries a month. He didn't say there were any other requirements to keep that title.

Good job digging up a 2 year old thread to worry people. Dr Aceves was on my short list but I didn't come up with one reason to spend the extra when Dr Kelly has more experience with sleeves.

Here's my happy album' date=' I'm 3 days post op with Dr Kelly and super happy!

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zpse2e5925a.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps0a473602.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps68bbc03c.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps4b476e83.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zpsa84d8e37.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps4777e3d3.jpg

[/quote']

Wow. I want to know the truth and it angers me that people like you want to keep it hidden. Why? Do you work for one these doctors? This is people's lives we are talking about!

OK' date=' this scares me. I was all for Almanza, even though I'm not thrilled with my choice. I'm hoping to make it out of the cattle call and be healthy and move on after the 3 days. I was considering Dr. Kelly, but now I'm hearing about deaths. I'd LOVEEEE Aceves, but he's just too expensive. Is there any middle ground Doctor in TJ who does a decent job? This scares me.... I always heard great things about Dr. Kelly.[/quote']

How do I find out more about Aceves? Do I go through a Medical Tourism company? Where is he located in Mexico?

I was going to go with Garcia in florence Hospital. I figured if anything went wrong I would be in a hospital. Does anyone know if I should change to Aceves? Is Florence Hospital not equppied to deal with vsg surgeries?

FYI if you want to know about Dr. Aceves

I would PM "Suzannesh " up there.

She comes on every month or so and does nothing but tell about her doctor....

And is more than willing to answer questions...

Good job digging up a 2 year old thread to worry people. Dr Aceves was on my short list but I didn't come up with one reason to spend the extra when Dr Kelly has more experience with sleeves.

Here's my happy album' date=' I'm 3 days post op with Dr Kelly and super happy!

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zpse2e5925a.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps0a473602.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps68bbc03c.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps4b476e83.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zpsa84d8e37.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y488/gibson_girl1/null_zps4777e3d3.jpg

[/quote']

You seem awfully defensive.

I totally get that we feel passionate and loyal to our surgeons. Dr. Aceves and crew exceeded my expectations.

But you don't have to be a one person crusade righting the wrongs.

These rumors ebb and flow. I get where your emotions are coming from. I've felt it too. Try not to let it get to you.

How do I find out more about Aceves? Do I go through a Medical Tourism company? Where is he located in Mexico?

I was going to go with Garcia in florence Hospital. I figured if anything went wrong I would be in a hospital. Does anyone know if I should change to Aceves? Is Florence Hospital not equppied to deal with vsg surgeries?

I went to Dr. Aceves and was immensely pleased.

That said, Dr. Garcia's reputation on here is great. His patients love him.

I understand Florence Hospital is a fully equipped hospital but cannot say for sure. You should check with some recent patient accounts of the hospital.

Thanks so much or posting this! I read the blog so I started my Internet searching. Since I was dead set on florence Hospital in Mexico I did a google search of Florence Hospital and guess what, all the listing was not of an actual hospital!!! Scary huh! All it showed was a bunch of links to forums and coordinators websites.

When I typed in Alamater Hospital (the one that Aceves works at), the first google listing is Almater.mx and it's in Spanish. Google firsts listing for Florence Hospital is successfullyslimmer.com. When you click on the link for Almater.mx it's in spanish but it clearly from photos is a hospital. It talks about nurses, babies etc. not weight loss surgery. When you click on successfullyslimmer.com it's clearly a coordinators page and shows a picture of "Florence Hospital" but only talks about weight loss.

I'm thinking I want to be in a real hospital (Almater) not a pretend hospital (Florence) if something goes wrong. Not trying to say florence isn't a medical center, but like the blog said a hospital will have a blood bank (very important if an artery is somehow nicked), an ICU, Pediactric unit etc.

Choose wisely. Thankful for you posting a link to that blog!

Olivia23 said "Just so everyone knows when I went to my weight loss seminar here in NC, the doctor said that they were also a Center of Excellence and the way they keep that is by doing so many surgeries a month. He didn't say there were any other requirements to keep that title."

Actually, there are additional criteria for becoming a Center of Excellence.

- Hospitals must perform at least 125 bariatric surgeries per year. Surgicenters must perform at least 100 bariatric surgeries per year.

- Bariatric surgeons at these Centers of Excellence must have performed at least 125 bariatric surgeries during their career and must continue to perform 50 surgeries per year.

- Centers of Excellence must be staffed by a multidisciplinary bariatric team including surgeons, nurses and other consultants.

- All centers must pass a rigorous onsite inspection.

- All centers must report their long-term outcomes to the Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database (BOLD). The information gathered in this database is used to analyze the safety and benefits of bariatric surgery.

- All centers must be re-evaluated with an onsite inspection every three years.