Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is a thread asking about what slider foods are....in addition to things that slide down like ice cream, pudding, Cookies, crackers...popcorn is a slider.

I speak from unfortunate experience! On my birthday last Saturday I decided to allow myself for the weekend two of the things I steadfastly avoid- buttered movie popcorn from the theater where my son works, and ice cream We bought the four new flavors I had seen of Ben and Jerry's ice cream (for those who want to know ;-P- Bonnaroo Buzz- coffee and malt ice cream with a whiskey caramel swirl and english toffee, Red Velvet Cake- red velvet batter ice cream with chunks of red velvet and cream cheese icing swirl, Late Night Snack- vanilla bean ice cream with a salty caramel swirl and fudge covered potato chips, and Clusterfluff- Peanut Butter ice cream with a Peanut Butter swirl and a marshmallow swirl and with actual caramel corn in it... we have always loved trying their wacky new flavors) and I planned to have a few spoonfuls of each spread over two days.

The popcorn was a huge eye opener! Thumbelina, my sleeve, is 1/4 cup in size. No matter how I try to wish her a leeeetle bit bigger- nope- 1/4 cup and sometimes not even that. So I figured I would feel the usual restriction with the popcorn- which I chewed very very well out of fear of the kernels swelling, etc. To my shock I could eat a LOT more than 1/4 cup. I learned what a slider food is in an almost disturbing way. I would eat some until I did feel a little restriction, wait half an hour, drink for a while, and then have some more. I would say I could easily eat 2 cups without feeling restriction. The ice cream was also like that but I knew better than to go to town on it.... I actually kept my calories quite low those two "lost" days...because I didn't eat any "real" food except the morning Protein shake my husband basically insisted I eat!

I felt pretty crappy physically by the night of the second day....and even more than that I felt really unsettled emotionally at how easily those foods went down and how easy it was for me to spend a couple of days off the routine I have been to totally committed to for the six weeks before that. I truly felt I had lost my moorings, which I have discussed a bit on my latest VLOG. Honestly I was tripping on it- thinking my sleeve was totally stretched, my weight loss was over, blah blah blah drama queen drama queen drama queen!

It was actually a relief to return to my clean eating, which I have had zero trouble doing the whole time, but which I worried I would not be able to do now. My concerns about craving carbs were alleviated immediately, and the first Protein meal I had Thumbelina told me she is 1/4 cup still, thank you very much.

I also ate 1/4 of a biscotti, something my husband and I used to love snacking on....and when you choose those puppies to powder they too slide right on down.

I feel I learned a valuable lesson about some of the things I face as I move forward to goal and then to maintaining- and for now I am happily back on my plan eating 70 grams of protein a day, less than 40 grams of carbs, more than 2 liters of Water, and exercising every day. (We did go for long family walks on the lost weekend because that was what I love to do- we went out to the bay and walked the dog for an hour both days and so at least that didn't go down the tubes!)

I lost 0.2 pounds last week so I probably had an effect from the sliders even though I kept calories low. Back on track, I have lost 2 pounds this week. WHEW! My sleeve still works :D:lol:

For inquiring minds? Bonnaroo Buzz was surprisingly good- not too heavy on the whisky flavor, Red Velvet was the traditional cake, sweet but not chocolatey, Late Night snack was a bit odd- probably perfect for TOM!, and Clusterfluff was quite good- you can't go wrong with peanut butter!

Hi Meggie,

I've just returned from my own lost weekend, so I feel your pain. In addition, I know my bougie was an oversewn 40, so I have a horror of winding up with a big tummy with lots of weight regain. Honestly, if I could have controlled my eating, I would never have gotten the sleeve to start with, so naturally I am scared about long term weight regain.

Good lesson on eating Protein first!! The sad thing for me is that Protein often leaves me feeling a little " eh" and those slider foods didn't bother me a bit!

I'm with you: Back on track: Protein first, veggies/fruit next. Protein shake at the end of the day.

Lynda

It happens, you'll lose it all back soon. I think I'm in my first stall, trying to get back to basics. I might even just do Protein shakes for a couple days. I now allow myself one "cheat" day. I dont' eat a lot but I"ll eat whatever I want on that one day. and be good the rest of the week. I've actually done pretty well on that kind of diet in the past.

Gotta mix it up!

I veered off the course I have chosen yesterday too- had about 10 sun chips and then about 1/4 cup of ice cream (bonnaroo buzz and clusterfluff ;-P)- and I Just felt crappy today! I really have figured out I need to stay away from carbs for the most part It just doesn't work for me, emotionally or physically.

HI Meggie

I read your experience with great interest! I too am scared to death to try carbs. They were always my downfall in the past. I could eat an entire box of crackers in one sitting and popcorn was a nightly ritual for me as well (microwave). I made a promise to myself that I would never eat 'empty" carbs that I have kept so far (3 months) but I am tempted to try some. I ate a small clementine last weekend that didn't sit so well. I don't know if it was the Fiber in the orange or the sugar, but I am not trying it again for a while. My extended family came over with popcorn and I ate about 10 kernals. Like with you, that went down easy without any problems. My birthday is also later this month and I feel like I should "indulge" but then think what's the point? So....given everything that happened and your emotions about it, was it worth it? Given what you know now, would you eat the popcorn and ice cream again?

I veered off the course I have chosen yesterday too- had about 10 sun chips and then about 1/4 cup of ice cream (bonnaroo buzz and clusterfluff ;-P)- and I Just felt crappy today! I really have figured out I need to stay away from carbs for the most part It just doesn't work for me, emotionally or physically.

The Sugar is a demon! Once you have some all you think about for days and days is MORE MORE MORE!!! LOL :) I say get that stuff out of the house if it's still there and maybe push VERY low carbs for a few days (<20) until the cravings die down. It's hard!! I know that's true.

I get really physically ill when eating junk food, so thankfully I have that working for me. Though I know I *can* eat a LOT of popcorn. I have to only eat it no more than when I'm at the movies.

Here's the good thing about breaking up the monotony though, when you do get back on program your body responds beautifully by having huge drops once you get yourself back into ketosis. Much <3!!!

Meg, thanks for sharing, and while I hate you felt like crap after indulging, I think it really shows us how our bodies react to certain foods. To this very day, I still hate it when I have to eat so many carbs, and couple that with pregnancy, all I want to do is sleep. I don't care what kind of carbs I ingest, they make me run in granny gear instead of my usual overdrive.

I'm proud of you for recognizing how food reacts and learning how to deal with those yummy foods in moderation. It'll help once you get to maintenance.

Onward and downward (on the scale) ! ! !

HI Meggie

I read your experience with great interest! I too am scared to death to try carbs. They were always my downfall in the past. I could eat an entire box of crackers in one sitting and popcorn was a nightly ritual for me as well (microwave). I made a promise to myself that I would never eat 'empty" carbs that I have kept so far (3 months) but I am tempted to try some. I ate a small clementine last weekend that didn't sit so well. I don't know if it was the fiber in the orange or the sugar, but I am not trying it again for a while. My extended family came over with popcorn and I ate about 10 kernals. Like with you, that went down easy without any problems. My birthday is also later this month and I feel like I should "indulge" but then think what's the point? So....given everything that happened and your emotions about it, was it worth it? Given what you know now, would you eat the popcorn and ice cream again?

Probably not....I lost only 0.2 that week and I have decided every week in this honeymoon period counts and I have wasted one! I will have a birthday again next year and I fully plan to be in maintainence (sp? I am a terrible speller!) then.Now, I do eat some fruit and veggies- our apricot tree is in full production right now- yumm! I just keep my carbs below 30-40. Most days under 20- it happens naturally with my low intake.

The Sugar is a demon! Once you have some all you think about for days and days is MORE MORE MORE!!! LOL :) I say get that stuff out of the house if it's still there and maybe push VERY low carbs for a few days (<20) until the cravings die down. It's hard!! I know that's true.

I get really physically ill when eating junk food, so thankfully I have that working for me. Though I know I *can* eat a LOT of popcorn. I have to only eat it no more than when I'm at the movies.

Here's the good thing about breaking up the monotony though, when you do get back on program your body responds beautifully by having huge drops once you get yourself back into ketosis. Much <3!!!

Well I have a husband who loves to snack and can eat anything so clearing out the house is not an option. Truthfully though I am happier back on track! It was a relief last Monday to be back on my routine- and that means less than 0 grams because when I eat Protein first that is where it stops! I felt ucky enough to not be tempted now, and I am NEVER hungry. And yes, I lost 5 pounds this past week! Humming along again - yay!