Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Supervised Dieters

Hey Gang I finished my 6 months in May and am schedule for surgery July 18th. I had my first visit on December 4th and assumed I had to go for a final visit on June 4th to actually show 6 calendar months of visits but in actuality they want records of 6 visits which means you only have to do the diet for 5 months. :o)

Hey Gang I finished my 6 months in May and am schedule for surgery July 18th. I had my first visit on December 4th and assumed I had to go for a final visit on June 4th to actually show 6 calendar months of visits but in actuality they want records of 6 visits which means you only have to do the diet for 5 months. :o)

First, congrats on your date and getting approval! Second, I don't know if that is true for everyone. Each insurance company is different. Some require 180 days continuously. For instance, I know my insurance wants 1 visit a month for six months. However, someone else might have one like yours. Thank you for sharing!

I go Friday 8th for my 4th PCP visit then only 2 more left. I have been eating as I would have to after the surgery and losing weight, still have a high BMI and that seems to be what most insurance companies go by not so much the actual weight. I am excited to have so many TN Neighbors that will be SSer's (September Sleevers) This will be a great journey together and we can all compare notes, receipes, what does and doesn't work. Thank you all for being here!!!!

First, congrats on your date and getting approval! Second, I don't know if that is true for everyone. Each insurance company is different. Some require 180 days continuously. For instance, I know my insurance wants 1 visit a month for six months. However, someone else might have one like yours. Thank you for sharing!

Wishes,

You are probably right that each insurance is different. Here is what I meant though about the diet and five months.

Dec - 1st doc visit. Started diet after visit.

Jan - Start of month 2

Feb - Start of month 3

Mar - Start of month 4

Apr - Start of month 5

May - final visit. Submitted records to insurance.

They got records from 6 months of visits but I actually didn't start dieting until after the first visit. To get documentation showing 6 months of dieting I would have had to go another month and submit paperwork in June. Anyway it might be worth checking into with your insurance to see if they need 7 records showing 6 months of dieting or only 6 records showing doctor visits.

I will be going into my 2nd month this coming Tuesday. So far I've only lost 12lbs. I feel as though I could've lost more had I stuck to my healthy eating the way I had done during my first 2 weeks. I have to get my BMI down before I can have surgery so hopefully I will do that by eating meat / veggies, low carb, no sweets. It was fairly easy for me this time and I haven't had any cravings for things that I cut out of my diet. I just wish I could speed these months up because I'm so ready to get this done. I know that once the time comes, I'll be a barrel of nerves.

Jens,

My insurance is the same - 6 visits in 6 calendar months so really 5 months. I went to the orientation 1/7 and sure wish I had visited my Dr that month instead of waiting til February!

Wishes,

No date yet, just hoping for the second week in July!

hi guys! i will be doing my last class tomorrow morning at 8:30am! i'm so excited because when i started in jan i only had 3 months but bcbstx changed it to 6 months in march so tomorrow has been a long time coming!

i'm hoping for a speedy ins approval. good luck to us all!

I had my 6th PCP visit on 6/20/11. I called my surgeon's office on 7/5 to see what(if any) paperwork they were missing and was told they've submitted to Cigna for approval! Took me by surprise as the coordinator at the Hospital said the Surgeon's office would want to go over everything with me first. I guess not. Now...waiting...

@got2lovedisney: Wow, good luck! I hope you hear back soon. Please keep us posted!

I dropped off my last visit paperwork to my insurance coordinator around 1pm - hoping she submitted today. She did tell me BCBSIL is taking 30 days but us BCBSIL employees are super persistent and are getting approved quicker - I said heck yeah I was going to be calling every day!

Moral of the story - call your insurance!! LOL

Congrats to missjanab and MEMEMEEE for there quick approvals and scheduled dates! I am so happy for both of you.

Guest Rosalind

Most insurance companies use you weight prior to the 6 month plan. Even if you have no high bp, cholesterol, blood sugar, your knees have suffered because of your weight which is still considered a comorbity.

5th visit this month! 32 lbs down! :angel_smile:

I am completed my first month of "supervised" weight loss, 5 more to go! I have finished my 1st of 3 physical therapy appointments (next one scheduled 8/7]. I just got my denial letter today...My doctor told me that I would more than likely get denied first and not to worry, but actually seeing the letter in my hand kinda got me a bit depressed...All these hoops!

@carscot01: Wait, I am confused. How do you have a denial letter? Normally, you have to complete everything then you submit.

Howdy I too am going on my 4th month of "supervised diet". I have been trying to eat as I will have to after my sleeve so I can really see if this is going to work for me. I hope to have my sleeve late September or October. What were we thinking planning WLS before Thanksgiving and Christmas????? I know we will be past the liquids and soft stuff by then but we will still have to be careful so we don't stretch are "NEW" stomaches too much.

I started my pre-op liquid diet the day before Thanksgiving last year. My husband got a Boston market frozen turkey dinner. He let me go out shopping Thanksgiving day so he could eat while I was gone so I would not have to smell it. Christmas day was my first day to reintroduce meat. I measured everything at the beginning so I would not overeat and take your time eating. It will get easier. You can do it!