Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How'd You Determine Your Goal Weight?

According to "the experts" my ideal weight is in the 140s. I'm a little on the tall side, so I'm concerned about looking like a string bean if I actually get down to that weight. MY ideal weight would be somewhere in the 160s. How are you determining your goal weight?

I am tall too!

I went on the high side of what I "should" weigh. I will start there and see. I am afraid that will still be too thin for me tho, as I have been about 10 lbs heavier before and looked really good at that weight!

I think it is a trial and error thing. I will just see. I am not going to be 140lbs just cuz they say I should if I look horrible at that weight!

Kelly ;)

I guess your approach makes sense. I cant remember when I weighed 140 pounds. I probably was in the 4th or 5th grade then. smh :huh:

As the pre-screening I was asked to consult a BMI chart and select a target weight. I perused a few of them online, some had a preference as to "bone structure", the selections were typically something like "average" and "heavy boned". I'd always considered the "heavy boned" choice as kind of bogus and an excuse for some over weight people to pack on a few pounds and still be "within" the BMI charts recommendations.

I am 6 foot tall and the BMI charts say I should weigh between 160 and 190. I haven't weighed 190 since high school and I looked thin as a reed and was picked on for being skinny. Despite this I choose a "target" weight of 180, slightly less than the top of 190 but 20 pounds heavier than the bottom of the BMI chart.

I have lost about 135 pounds so far and weigh in close to 230, I am already just about to squeeze into size 36 pants and a size large top is already baggy. I cannot picture losing another 50 pounds to get down to 190. Maybe another 20 or 30 pounds down but 50 seems pretty wild. My tummy is pretty flat and actually caves in when I lie down. people already comment on how thin I am - even new people I meet, so there isn't any bias from them by knowing how huge I USED to weigh (375 pounds).

I am beginning to think the target weight and the sacred BMI charts are just a crock. Maybe the "heavy boned" thing is real after all. I am now aiming for 200 to 210 for a target weight. Any less and I will probably look skeletal. It would be nice to NOT be officially "over weight" for once in my adult life but I just don't see it happening without looking like a scarecrow.

So take any recommendations with a grain of salt, shoot at something according to the charts but adjust it to your looks and how you feel.

Well my doc asked me if i had "a number " picked out. I remember struggling to keep my weight between 120 and 125. Yes I looked good at that weight. But that was really struggling. .. Piece of dry toast for Breakfast. Piece of fruit for lunch. meat, starch, vegetable an may a small desert for dinner. So even though I looked good... I decided to cut myself some slack and said 135. Doc told me most people don't lose that much weight and I would probably end up around 150. Well even 150 is better than it is now.

Khy

According the the "BMI" scales I'm supposed to be around 135 ideally. I'm 5'6, so considered of average height. My heaviest should be no more than 154 Lbs. Right now I'm 191 Lbs and I'm wearing 8-10's (just got into 6's even...). So... that said for ME the BMI scales are baloney.

I mean right now I can literally see my ribcage without even sucking in my breath and my breast plate shows. I wish I didn't even weigh as much as I do or seriously I would call this my goal and stop losing. However, fact is I *do* weigh this so I'm going to go a little bit further. I may even settle on 15 more Lbs and be done with it.

I say, go for what you feel you look your best in - the BMI scales aren't the be all, end all to perfect weight. I think I'm living testament to that!! If I weighed 135 Lbs I'd look like a starving bag of bones!!

According to "the experts" my ideal weight is in the 140s. I'm a little on the tall side, so I'm concerned about looking like a string bean if I actually get down to that weight. MY ideal weight would be somewhere in the 160s. How are you determining your goal weight?

Easy, my WLS doctor decided that for me. He told me for my height and bone structure I should weigh 212 lbs and that was the goal. . . as you see I surpassed that and would like to loose about 25-30 lbs more.

I think the BMI scale sucks lol. I went to the weightloss calculator the other day and it said if I was 179lbs that I would be at my bariatric goal, but I wanted to be at 140 initially then I switched it to 150. I think if I loss 50 more pounds I would look weird but I actually need to lose somewhere around 100 to 102 more pounds..... I say just go with what feels and looks right :)