Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys I have a question since I am still a newbie here lol. Was wondering does everyone have a presurgy diet? Or do some doctors do this as a precaution. My pre-op apointment is scheduled for july 14 so I am sure they will tell me all about a presurgury diet, but I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you all in advance for your wonderful support and lots of information. :)

Hi guys I have a question since I am still a newbie here lol. Was wondering does everyone have a presurgy diet? Or do some doctors do this as a precaution. My pre-op apointment is scheduled for july 14 so I am sure they will tell me all about a presurgury diet, but I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you all in advance for your wonderful support and lots of information. :)

Hi,

I can only speak about my experience, but yes I did have a pre-op diet. My doctor left it up to me but his suggestion was Dr. Atkins Diet--High Protein and low carb diet. You will be eating a lot of Protein and low carb with a sleeve, so it was just a way to learn how to start eating.

Good luck,

Suzanne

Hi,

I can only speak about my experience, but yes I did have a pre-op diet. My doctor left it up to me but his suggestion was Dr. Atkins Diet--High Protein and low carb diet. You will be eating a lot of Protein and low carb with a sleeve, so it was just a way to learn how to start eating.

Good luck,

Suzanne

Thank you for your input. I would have loved so more info from the doc, but they always seem to be really busy. Thanks for the well wishes :) Good job at losing all that weight! Good luck in meeting your goal ;)

Most surgeons ask patients for a preop diet. They do this to protect you, not just to be careful. Most of us preop have fatty livers which are in front of our stomachs. Even though in surgery the docs use gas to expand our stomach, they still require room to access the stomach more easily.

Hence the diet to reduce the size of the fatty liver. I was on a liquid Protein diet for two weeks and did not cheat once. Pure torture those weeks but was warned that my surgeon would not jeopordize my health by operating with a fatty liver. Was told if he went in and saw a fatty liver, he would not continue surgery. So, what happens if you have a fatty liver? The surgeon has to work around it or move it which then is a high probability of a laceration of the liver. No fun.

Call you surgeons office and ask them to email you their sleeve guide diet plan. If they do not have one readily available, google it. Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I love my sleeve.

I will be finding out exactly what my pre-op diet is today when I go in for pre-op teaching. All I know at this point is it is 2 weeks and I have to purchase the supplements from the doctor (after this, I don't have to). I do know from going to the support group meeting (the doctor required it before surgery) and from me asking the dietician specifically, that I also will get to eat some real food - but I don't know what that will be yet as the list will be given to me today.

I am so excited for today - I really feel like today is the beginning of my new life even though my surgery is still 2 weeks away. :)

My pre op diet is 1200 calories. They suggest I use Slim Fast or similar. I'm using Special K Protein Drinks and bars. A total of 5 per day. Then one low carb, high Protein meal per day. Each surgeon is different on what they want. So call your surgeons office to email or fax you a copy of what they prefer.

Most surgeons ask patients for a preop diet. They do this to protect you, not just to be careful. Most of us preop have fatty livers which are in front of our stomachs. Even though in surgery the docs use gas to expand our stomach, they still require room to access the stomach more easily.

Hence the diet to reduce the size of the fatty liver. I was on a liquid Protein diet for two weeks and did not cheat once. Pure torture those weeks but was warned that my surgeon would not jeopordize my health by operating with a fatty liver. Was told if he went in and saw a fatty liver, he would not continue surgery. So, what happens if you have a fatty liver? The surgeon has to work around it or move it which then is a high probability of a laceration of the liver. No fun.

Call you surgeons office and ask them to email you their sleeve guide diet plan. If they do not have one readily available, google it. Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I love my sleeve.

thanks for all the info. I want to have all the information and I will do the diet. Anything to refuce my chances of having something go wrong. Thanks for your well wishes :)

I will be finding out exactly what my pre-op diet is today when I go in for pre-op teaching. All I know at this point is it is 2 weeks and I have to purchase the supplements from the doctor (after this, I don't have to). I do know from going to the support group meeting (the doctor required it before surgery) and from me asking the dietician specifically, that I also will get to eat some real food - but I don't know what that will be yet as the list will be given to me today.

I am so excited for today - I really feel like today is the beginning of my new life even though my surgery is still 2 weeks away. :)

Congratulations you are almost there! How exciting! I am excited for you and help everything goes well today :)

My pre op diet is 1200 calories. They suggest I use Slim Fast or similar. I'm using Special K Protein drinks and bars. A total of 5 per day. Then one low carb, high Protein meal per day. Each surgeon is different on what they want. So call your surgeons office to email or fax you a copy of what they prefer.

That diet sounds pretty resonable. Thanks for your input and good luck to you sweetie ;)