Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting sleeved process

after doing much research, ive read from some people that getting their surgery only took 3 months. with others, ive read that its a 6month process. why is that? i believe my insurance is a 6month process. i have 1199SEIU.

anyone else have this issue?

anyone know why?

:(

The main difference in the length of time is due to insurance. Some insurances that cover the WLS require 3 months, some require 6 months, some longer - but the vast majority seem to require 6 months diet before hand. However, if the insurance will NOT cover the WLS, then the surgery can be completed much sooner if you have the funds available. For me, my insurance will not cover the surgery, so from the time that I met the surgeon to the time of my surgery it will be 2 months. The month prior I had attended the informational seminar.

The main difference in the length of time is due to insurance. Some insurances that cover the WLS require 3 months, some require 6 months, some longer - but the vast majority seem to require 6 months diet before hand. However, if the insurance will NOT cover the WLS, then the surgery can be completed much sooner if you have the funds available. For me, my insurance will not cover the surgery, so from the time that I met the surgeon to the time of my surgery it will be 2 months. The month prior I had attended the informational seminar.

if you dont mind me asking, what type of insurance do you have?

i am going to a seminar on july 5th & i scheduled an appointment with the nutrionist and nurse practioner the same day. i have 1199SEIU and after researching, its affiliated with aetna and aetna does cover the vsg (thank god)! if my insurance were not to cover it, id be trapped in this body forever. :(

i hear its a 6month process with my surgery & if i mess up, id have to start all over. im scared lol

I have blue cross blue shield - and my policy specifically excludes WLS. However, a lot of other people who have BCBS do have coverage and insurance pays for it. Having an individual policy really stinks - but I don't have a job that has benefits (gotta love it when the company considers you as a contract employee so they can get away with giving NO benefits - NOT!).

I have blue cross blue shield - and my policy specifically excludes WLS. However, a lot of other people who have BCBS do have coverage and insurance pays for it. Having an individual policy really stinks - but I don't have a job that has benefits (gotta love it when the company considers you as a contract employee so they can get away with giving NO benefits - NOT!).

that is horrible :(

im sorry to hear that.

my insurance thankfully pays for even the after effect such as loose skin, etc. thank god for my mom!!

have u possibly looked into changing insurances? u may end up paying less by signing up with another insurance than paying for the surgery out of pocket.

The thing is, since I have to have an individual policy, this is the ONLY insurance that I can get where I live. I checked before signing up for them a couple of years ago. The reason? Well, because I am morbidly obese, I am considered UNinsurable. Because BCBS is non-profit - they HAVE to accept everyone. Otherwise I would not have any health insurance.

The thing is, since I have to have an individual policy, this is the ONLY insurance that I can get where I live. I checked before signing up for them a couple of years ago. The reason? Well, because I am morbidly obese, I am considered UNinsurable. Because BCBS is non-profit - they HAVE to accept everyone. Otherwise I would not have any health insurance.

oh ok.. wow. im sorry to hear that.

if you dont mind me asking, are they going to make you pay everything upfront or would they finance it for you? i read on a few sites that it can be very costly. :(

i pray i get approved because if not, :( ill be devestated.

It just depends on the insurance company whether you have to go through a process. One of my forum friends, LeahG, only had to complete a psych eval and she was approved. It took less than two weeks for her. (Hope she gets a date soon :D) And while for me, UHC requires a 6 Month Physician Supervised Weight Loss attempt. Therefore, I won't be able to submit my information to insurance until August 4th after my last 6MPSWL visit. I know it seems daunting right now, but you will get through this. It might not happen as fast as you want, but you can do this. Just start making the appointments you need, find out what your insurance wants, and find a good surgeon in your area.

It just depends on the insurance company whether you have to go through a process. One of my forum friends, LeahG, only had to complete a psych eval and she was approved. It took less than two weeks for her. (Hope she gets a date soon :D) And while for me, UHC requires a 6 Month Physician Supervised Weight Loss attempt. Therefore, I won't be able to submit my information to insurance until August 4th after my last 6MPSWL visit. I know it seems daunting right now, but you will get through this. It might not happen as fast as you want, but you can do this. Just start making the appointments you need, find out what your insurance wants, and find a good surgeon in your area.

i actually found a surgeon already & go see a nutrionist, nurse practioner & seminar on july 5th.

something else that has me wondering is, what if i lose a lot of weight during that 6months? will they deny me? i lose weight quickly but put it on twice as fast which is why i turned to vsg. :(

I have wondered this same thing...while on the doctor supervised diet...should you lose weight or not??? Am I really suppose to be trying....or what...any suggestions!!!

I have wondered this same thing...while on the doctor supervised diet...should you lose weight or not??? Am I really suppose to be trying....or what...any suggestions!!!

it seems like a trick! lol. i dont know tho :(

I had actually been saving up for something else - I just decided to use that money for this instead. Yeah, it can be expensive here in the states - mine is 15,300 plus the Protein & Vitamins. Most of my blood tests, gallbladder screening and EGD is also covered by insurance, but I'll have a fraction of that cost as well. I'll also be using a credit card for anything that I don't already have the money for.

From what I have gathered during my research, if you lose weight on the doctor supervised weight loss before surgery, it won't count against you (in other words, they won't deny you because you lost the weight). Insurance companies base it on the weight at the start of the program. Most of what these medically supervised weight loss programs are that are required before surgery is to make sure you can stick with the program and follow instructions. As long as you keep your appointments and do as your told, you should be fine. :)