Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First of all, thank you to anyone who listens to my story :) I found this wonderful site will researching questions about having the sleeve surgery. I found the most wonderful information and people here. I have read so many stories and have had questions answered about many things. I was reluctent to post anything until I found out my insurance was approved and yesterday I got the approval letter!.. It was very exciting until I called my doctor's office and they said they haven't recieved their copy. I was kind of bummed so I faxed it over still nothing heard from them. I guess I am a little anxious. My goal was going to try to have the surgury while I was on summer break from school. There have been lots of complications it took about a month for them to get back my bloodwork and needless to say I have been bugging the doctor's office, but I finally called the lab and found it it was them who didn't fax over the paperwork! My hopes for having this surgury before school started were diminishing and when they called to schedule the pre op apointment it was scheduled for July 14 th! Three days after I go back to school! I am already registered for classes and I don't want to give up on my dreams of becoming a pastry chef. I have 6 more classes to take and I graduate in March. There have been alot of ups and downs in this process in the beginning of my journey my insurance had a lapse and I had to wait a month until it started again. I am going to try and mabye do the surgery and miss a couple classes. Some things that are unique to my situation is that I take care of seven children. This is because I had a husband pass away and I remmarried. My current husband had three kids and I had three kids so we decided to have one together. I know crazy huh? He is now almost four years old. My current husband is very supportive and he watches the kids so I can go to school. He is an amazing man and i am lucky to have him. Having the one husband die I am naturely terrified of dying in this surgery, but I know probably Healthwise I need this surgury. I have gout which is a condition that is very painful if I do not manage my diet very carefully to avoid all red meat. I am hoping the weight loss will help cure the gout, but most of all I just want to be healither. Also does anyone know usually when the surgury gets scheduled after the pre-op apointment? Well this is my story thanks for taking the time to read it :) I can't wait to join all of you on the loser's bench lol

WOW can you ship some of your energy to me right away. I am in pre-op too so you will have to wait for the guru's of sleeve to type in for you answers. If you have your approval letter, it is all up to the doctor's office to schedule what ever steps you have left. My "TEAM" gave me a check off list so i will know exactly where i am in the process. Perhaps, your team can do the same for you. Best of luck too you and I hope you didn't take a full schedule at school...with 7 kids at home I am not sure how you will take care of you, kids and school and husband. Glad he is very supportive. We are here for you. :rolleyes:;):D

Welcome to the forums!

For me, it was just shy of 2 months from the first appointment with the surgeon to the surgery. However, I am self-pay so insurance has no say in it really. Your insurance may require longer, or the doctor might require more time. Also, if the surgeon is "popular" and has a very full schedule, it could be longer.

WOW can you ship some of your energy to me right away. I am in pre-op too so you will have to wait for the guru's of sleeve to type in for you answers. If you have your approval letter, it is all up to the doctor's office to schedule what ever steps you have left. My "TEAM" gave me a check off list so i will know exactly where i am in the process. Perhaps, your team can do the same for you. Best of luck too you and I hope you didn't take a full schedule at school...with 7 kids at home I am not sure how you will take care of you, kids and school and husband. Glad he is very supportive. We are here for you. :rolleyes:;):D

I was wondering why I was so tired all the time lol. I usually take two classes at a time. So I might need to miss a couple of days. Thank you for your support :) I appreciate it so much! The hubby will have to take care of me. Might try to get a clan of babysitters lol Thank you for the encouraging words and I am here for you too :)

Welcome to the forums!

For me, it was just shy of 2 months from the first appointment with the surgeon to the surgery. However, I am self-pay so insurance has no say in it really. Your insurance may require longer, or the doctor might require more time. Also, if the surgeon is "popular" and has a very full schedule, it could be longer.

I hope its only two months that would be great if not I guess it will be in God's time :)

I got my approval letter on the 13th of June. My surgeons office called and schedule me for surgery for July 11th. My pre op appt/testing and nut class is on July 6th. So hopefully yours will be soon too.

Good Luck.

I got my approval letter on the 13th of June. My surgeons office called and schedule me for surgery for July 11th. My pre op appt/testing and nut class is on July 6th. So hopefully yours will be soon too.

Good Luck.

I hope so sweetie :) Thanks for all the well wishes. :)

I agree, what a great site, right?! I was just sleeved 4 days ago but cannot imagine going in without all of the support and just reading people’s experiences here.

Every policy is different, but I got my approval the last part of May, met with surgeon June 1, and had surgery June 20. This was after 6 months of pre-op classes required by Aetna before I could even attempt to get approved.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

I agree, what a great site, right?! I was just sleeved 4 days ago but cannot imagine going in without all of the support and just reading people’s experiences here.

Every policy is different, but I got my approval the last part of May, met with surgeon June 1, and had surgery June 20. This was after 6 months of pre-op classes required by Aetna before I could even attempt to get approved.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Thanks sweetie I know I do love this site It is a wealth of information and support :)

Oooo! Pastry chef! I'd love to go to school for that, but the thought of ever baking anything here in Arizona in the summer is just, well, NO WAY! lol. I don't care how cold the building is. LOL!!! And decorating cakes is a BLAST....I could totally work with gum paste and make flowers for a living. I'd really like to learn how to work with sugar, some of the pieces the chefs make are just GORGEOUS. You need to post pictures of your work!

Good luck with the surgery. I am also a student and am hoping to get everything done in time to be able to have it done my one week off in August. I'm in a nursing program and if I have to take any time off, it'll set me back eight MONTHS. YIKES! Let us know how everything goes!!! If your office is like the one I am using, they can do all your pre-op tests the week prior to surgery. (As was mentioned, it really does depend on the office...)