Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Substitute Sensitive

I am one of those people who is HIGHLY sensitive to chemical additives. Included in that category for me is aspartame, sucralose, saccharin and anything with soy. What this means is pretty much anything packaged that is labeled 'sugar-free' and even sometimes 'no-sugar added' is a complete no-go for me.

I am not worried so much eating at home because I have a ton of solutions for my liquid diet that are either unsweetened or have a small amount of Stevia. What really has me scared is the hospital stay. I keep hearing about the Jello and popsicles they offer you after the procedure. Anyone who is post-op that has a similar situation? I am planning on talking to the hospital during my pre-op on Monday and see what they say. I'd love to hear other's thoughts though.

I would recommend bring your own foods, as long as you are following the diet regimen you don't have to eat the hospital's food.< /p>

Can you do maltitol or sorbitol? Those are the "usual" sugar substitutes.

Jello and popsicles are... slightly more appetizing Water. I don't see any reason you couldn't do ice chips instead, with a bit of dissolved sugar or simple Syrup if they want something with some calories (not as important as Water -- you can go without food a LOT longer than you can go without water.

I don't have a problem sticking with ice chips and Water if I need to. I was considering making my own popsicles and Jello and then bringing them but I don't think the hospital will let me bring my own. I am planning on asking them about that on Monday. If they really want me to eat something then I will probably have to have my own.

Thank you for your question. I too have huge sensitivities and get Migraines with most sugar substitutes. I recently tried soy milk for the first time and that gave me the worst Migraine I've ever had. I had not given thought to the hospital at all. I hope you get some good responses and possible alternatives.

I'll post the hospital response to my inquiry and some recipes for chemical free options.

I too have soy as a MAJOR no-no in my diet. It gives me big time gas on top of the Migraines. It's amazing to me how many products that are considered 'diet' and 'healthy' actually contain numerous chemicals and synthetic additives. It has made me an uber label reader.

By the way, making your own Jello and popsicles is way easier than it sounds. recipes and directions to come. I am also going to put together a couple of how-to videos for my v-log on YouTube.

Best of luck in staying sugar and chemical free through your journey. :)

Update: My surgeons office said that I can bring whatever I need and they will label it at the hospital. Then to make sure when I check in that they put a flag on my chart that says I have my own stuff in the fridge. No fear of being 'poisioned' accidentially. :)

Great recipe for ice pops:

2-3 Tbsp fruit juice with no added sugar (be sure that the ingredients only list real fruit and no sugar substitutes)

4-6 drops liquid Stevia (optional)

3/4 cup coconut Water (not milk)

1 1/4 cup cold Water

1 Ice pop tray - I found mine at the 99cent store

Mix liquid, pour into tray and freeze - whola! Enjoy!!