Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone share their exercise habits pre-op compared to post-op? Did the change in weight and apperance make it less difficult? I find with the extra weight is killing my knees and back. This makes it hard to get motivated to get out there and walk/run. Are you more active physically after your surgery? Thanks...

Start slow. I'm still pre op but now run for 15 minutes in a row without a problem. It actually feels good. I could do more, but I want to go easy on my knees until I weigh less. I also walk fast on the treadmill on an incline and burn almost as many calories doing that as I do running. I also weight life, low weights, high reps. I can definitely see a difference and it's only been 2 months.

I"m absolutely more active after surgery. Pre-op I did start exercising, but stayed with the low-impact methods like bicycling and swimming. Post-op I still do those, but now that I'm 75 lbs lighter I'm also pounding the treadmill and have found the elliptical to be pretty fun. I have found that my energy level is much better on the days I do exercise, and that the more I can get to the gym, the less hungry I am and the more weight I lose that week. (Amazing that!) I'll be adding resistance training now that my cardio is much improved after 8 months. I'm not a huge exercise freak by any means, but I am a believer that it really works for us.

I plan on continuing only going father as I lose weight, but I've always been an athlete and have been active. If it's not your thing, just walk and do some light weights to keep your muscle tone as you lose weight. I started out only being able to run for 3 minutes before my knees hurt and my shins burned. It didn't take long at all to have the pain gone and my body craving it. Honest!

Can anyone share their exercise habits pre-op compared to post-op? Did the change in weight and apperance make it less difficult? I find with the extra weight is killing my knees and back. This makes it hard to get motivated to get out there and walk/run. Are you more active physically after your surgery? Thanks...

The change in weight hasn't changed me whatsoever, but that is just me. . . I've hated exercise all my life and i continue to hate it. . . I do fit it in though, our workplace has a fit for life thing going on that goes like this. . . if you park around work, you pay the full parking rate $10/day however if you park under the bridge 1/4 mile away from work you only pay $2.00/day. . . soooooo I park under the bridge and walk every day it takes about 10 - 15 minutes each way depending on the weather and so on. . . I also do lots of housework and yard work. . . but that is about it, I won't do the gym or do extra walking or anything like that. . . I just find it an inconvenience, but again, that is just me. I do stuff i like to do and if it involves physicial fitness good for me. . . for example not only my yardwork, but i like to horseback ride, swim, do nature walks (at my pace) go to the coast, go tubing, canoeing, etc. . . but i'm sure as heck not looking to exercise. . .