Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell your kids?

My surgery is coming up and i really need to tell my kids something. I think they are a little young to know that Im having most of my stomach removed or that Im doing this to lose weight! I want them to know the truth but I really dont think they are ready to know. HELP PLEASE!

How old are your kids? I think it all depends on how old they are and if they can comprehend what you tell them about your surgery.

I have an 18, 4, and 2 yr old and of course I told my son, the 18yr old, and he was a little apprehensive at first, but he's been encouraging me to lose weight for years, so he was on board. As for the little ones, I didnt tell them anything. They wouldnt have a clue!

Remember, kids are very loving and think the world of their parents! If your kids are like 8 or older, I would tell them and even show them a video on YouTube about the Sleeve and all it's about. I did this with my godchildren who are 9 and 10 and they are very supportive and think it's the greatest thing for me! And they love to visit me just to see how much weight I've lost since the last time we were together! It's like a game to them!

Good Luck!!

Mine are 6 and 10. I know I have to tell them something just not sure what yet!

How old are your kids? I think it all depends on how old they are and if they can comprehend what you tell them about your surgery.

I have an 18, 4, and 2 yr old and of course I told my son, the 18yr old, and he was a little apprehensive at first, but he's been encouraging me to lose weight for years, so he was on board. As for the little ones, I didnt tell them anything. They wouldnt have a clue!

Remember, kids are very loving and think the world of their parents! If your kids are like 8 or older, I would tell them and even show them a video on YouTube about the Sleeve and all it's about. I did this with my godchildren who are 9 and 10 and they are very supportive and think it's the greatest thing for me! And they love to visit me just to see how much weight I've lost since the last time we were together! It's like a game to them!

Good Luck!!

I have a 3 y/o VERY acutive boy. I hadn't planned on telling him anything but i know he';ll know somethings up (also very smart) when I'm laid up and unable to play, etc. I told him I had an "owie" in my tummy and had to have surgery to fix it. He has limited understanding about surgery, but at least I told him something. I told him the dr would fix my owie (and the he could see them, lol - no doubt he'll want to doctor me himself!) This will also help afterwards in explaining why i can't carry him, rough house, etc. HTH rolleyes.gif

I told my 5 and 8 year old boys that "mommy was going in the hospital to get surgery on her tummy to help her be more healthy" They accepted that and were fine. The hardest part was the first couple days after surgery when I came come and wasn't myself. That part bothered them. They just needed reassurance that "mommy was okay." Once they saw that, they were fine.

Good Luck

I told my son everything. He's kind of one of those gross, everything about the body intrigues him, kids. So, when it came time to revise to VSG, I allowed him to watch a youtube.com video on the procedure. At first, I showed him the "cartoon" animated video and then asked if he wanted to see the real surgery. Of course, being the gross 10 year old boy he is, he was game to watch the gory surgery.

He thought it was awesome. I think it really depends on each child's maturity level. My son and I are extremely close so it made things easier to explain to him. I did tell him I was doing it to lose weight, but only because we have family members and friends that had the band and RNY performed so he was already familiar with weight loss surgery in general.

I told my son everything. He's kind of one of those gross, everything about the body intrigues him, kids. So, when it came time to revise to VSG, I allowed him to watch a youtube.com video on the procedure. At first, I showed him the "cartoon" animated video and then asked if he wanted to see the real surgery. Of course, being the gross 10 year old boy he is, he was game to watch the gory surgery.

He thought it was awesome. I think it really depends on each child's maturity level. My son and I are extremely close so it made things easier to explain to him. I did tell him I was doing it to lose weight, but only because we have family members and friends that had the band and RNY performed so he was already familiar with weight loss surgery in general.

Oooo, I have a 12yo son who is very scientific and may want to see. Do you have the a link to the animated video? I want to show the kids.

I told my kids but kept it simple for the 4yo and 6yo. My 9yo daughter was crying last night when we talked about it because she was sad that I would be in pain and not able to eat. I explained to her that I would much rather feel bad for a little while so I can feel really, really good for the rest of my life. She understood when I explained it that way and settled, but she did express that she would miss the old me. Change is stressful for kids.

Oooo, I have a 12yo son who is very scientific and may want to see. Do you have the a link to the animated video? I want to show the kids.

I told my kids but kept it simple for the 4yo and 6yo. My 9yo daughter was crying last night when we talked about it because she was sad that I would be in pain and not able to eat. I explained to her that I would much rather feel bad for a little while so I can feel really, really good for the rest of my life. She understood when I explained it that way and settled, but she did express that she would miss the old me. Change is stressful for kids.

Here's the animated video. . . There's lots of actual patients that have their videos of their surgery on youtube.com

My kiddo wanted to see all the gross stuff. He's so weird when it comes to body stuff, but it helped him understand what my insides looked like post-VSG.