Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a bit of a set back...:-(

Sunday morning around 1am I was awakened by violent body shaking chills and pain in my lower back. Hubby had fallen asleep downstairs staring at his Father's Day gift (26 in flat screen cool.gif) It took me 10 minutes to get to him for help. He tucked me into the guest room with heating pad blankets and the max dose of Motrin. I was able to go back to sleep after about an hour, but it all started again when the Motrin wore off around 7am. By 10 we decided to load up the kids and head to urgent care. Where I was dx'd with a Kidney infection and given an dose of IV antibiotics and a litre of fluids. By the time I left there 2 hours later I feel like I'd been run over by a truck but at least wasn't shaking uncontrollably.

Got home slept for 5 hours, then ate 4 chicken nuggets and some green Beans (first food of the day) the rest of the evening was spent sucking on freezer pops (4 of them!) I felt some weird tightness in my chest but wrote it off as anxiety from the day.

Yesterday the chest tightness was still there coming and going but definitely worse as it got closer to time for Motrin. So I called my family doctor who told me to go to the ER called Hubby home from work and went.

They did a chest x[ray that came back clear, and some blood work. One of the values came back elevated which could indicate a blood clot. So I had a CT scan with contrast. That came back clear as well. Diagnosis is "Inflammaton of the chest wall Secondary to Kidney Infection" Doctor said it could be that everything is a little "off" internally due to the infection, or that my 24 hours of on and off violent shivers irritated the muscles and tissues so much that they are revolting. Either way I'm on 800 of motrin for the next 2 days then 600 of motrin following for up to 10 days along with 10 days of Cipro for the kidney infection.

I've eaten like doo doo the last two days. Freezer pops and 4 chicken nuggets on Sunday, and 2 slimfast bars and 3 string cheeses yesterday. Today doesn't look much better, just had a freezer pop for Breakfast because nothing else sounded good. :-( Might try some greek yogurt later. The infection induced nausea sucks.

Yuck, that stinks. Kidney infections are nothing to mess with, you poor thing! And yeah, you feel like dookie when you have one. Remember, you need FLUIDS now more than anything else. Go back to your shakes, push watered down juices, sip sip sip all the time! See if your doc will write you a script for Zofran for the nausea in order to help you get your fluids in. Sorry you are feeling icky! I hope this passes quickly for you! :hug:

ugh...that SUCKS!!! Just what you need...NOT!!! I hope you feel better quick! Fluids are the thing to focus on...do not stress about food! Just keep hydrated for your body, but your kidneys too...gotta flush this out of you! Drink...drink...drink!

Isn't it extra dangerous to be taking motrin? That's ibuprofen and a big time no-no in our program. Is it okay in yours?

I've seen several people here post about taking it, one who took it on the way home from surgery! We were told it's worse than aspirin for causing stomach bleeds.

Don't get me wrong, I know you were in a world of hurt but just would hate for you to cause yourself harm with a med that can chew your stomach up.

Feel better.

Isn't it extra dangerous to be taking motrin? That's ibuprofen and a big time no-no in our program. Is it okay in yours?

I've seen several people here post about taking it, one who took it on the way home from surgery! We were told it's worse than aspirin for causing stomach bleeds.

Don't get me wrong, I know you were in a world of hurt but just would hate for you to cause yourself harm with a med that can chew your stomach up.

Feel better.

after the first 2wks it's fine to take motrin/ibuprofen. The risk is much higher for those who have stoma's (artificial opening to their intestine/lower stomach) such as those with a band or RnY because the pill will sit there and irritate the lining. With a sleeve the motrin just passes on through the pyloric valve like normal.

I'm feeling a little bit better right now. took the motrin and tylenol together (totally safe) and have gotten a good 2 hours of relief from all pain (the motrin was only kicking about half of it) Hopefully I'll feel even better tomorrow. Spent about 85-90% of today in bed. blink.gif

Wow I'm so sorry to hear that - get well soon!! It sounds like you had a really rough time... :(

after the first 2wks it's fine to take motrin/ibuprofen. The risk is much higher for those who have stoma's (artificial opening to their intestine/lower stomach) such as those with a band or RnY because the pill will sit there and irritate the lining. With a sleeve the motrin just passes on through the pyloric valve like normal.

I'm feeling a little bit better right now. took the motrin and tylenol together (totally safe) and have gotten a good 2 hours of relief from all pain (the motrin was only kicking about half of it) Hopefully I'll feel even better tomorrow. Spent about 85-90% of today in bed. blink.gif

Are you taking liquid motrin?

I used to take an ibuprophen tylenol cocktail for my knees when I was going out for the day and every single doctor I've seen has told me absolutely not. And the tylenol is like taking a skiddle and hoping for relief.

I've never had a kidney infection but my sweetie thought he did a couple of years ago. The doctor walked into the little ER room and he said "I think I have a kidney infection". The doctor looked at him and said "you're sitting up. You don't have a kidney infection". :D

Are you taking liquid motrin?

I used to take an ibuprophen tylenol cocktail for my knees when I was going out for the day and every single doctor I've seen has told me absolutely not. And the tylenol is like taking a skiddle and hoping for relief.

I've never had a kidney infection but my sweetie thought he did a couple of years ago. The doctor walked into the little ER room and he said "I think I have a kidney infection". The doctor looked at him and said "you're sitting up. You don't have a kidney infection". :D

I'm using Liquid filled capsuled.

The ER doctor sounds like an idiot. I walked myself from the parking lot, into the ER sat on a table got examined and only after the fever reducer I had taken earlier in the morning started to wear off did I need to lay down because the body shaking chills came back. Kidney infections can turn deadly quickly they aren't something to mess around with.