Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My mom's band nightmare to kind of a sleeve

I didn't know where to post this. Sorry if I put it in the wrong place.....

I posted in another section about my moms band slip. But this has turned into a nightmare.

My mom has been in emergency for 4 days after food got stuck in her band. The resulting throwing up cause her to aspirate into her lungs as well as force her band down and kink it up.

The surgeon FINALLY came to see her and said the OR was really backed up but he'd try and get her in for surgery in the next couple days. There was luckily an opening in 30 min. We waited 5 hours as she got bumped a few times.

When they went in, they found that the slipped band had actually cut off blood supply to the stomach and 1/2 her stomach was dead and poisoning her. They cut off the band, then cut off 3/4 of her stomach, from the top down. Her esophagus is now attached to the bottom of her stomach. So she essentially got a sleeve without asking for one I guess. She has an ng tube for now. The doctor said that, had they waited the day or two, we would've lost her!!!!

My question is, her sleeve is different than our sleeve because ours is vertical and it sounds like hers is horizontal. Anyone know how this will differ for her day to day?

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

I am so sick to my stomach about this.....

I am SOO very sorry to hear about your mom. I had a full slip and they were able to remove the band without any damage to the stomach. That was one painful experience so I feel for your mom.

The horizontal cut sounds similar to the stomach stapling surgery in the 70's. I don't know of any long term effects but I do know she will definitely lose weight.

I hope she goes on to make a full recovery and I am so happy you didn't lose her.

THAT BAND SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE MARKET! What a disgrace!!

So very sorry to hear about our mom. I know I started to feel like my band was a ticking time bomb and I was fortunate to come away from it without serious complications. She must have been terrified and it makes me so angry that bariatric patients aren't treated with more urgency. I am glad she made it through!!

I don't have an answer on your question, but I do wish your mom a speedy recovery.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom and so glad she is going to be okay! What a roller coaster ride for all of you!

I would suggest you go to see your mother's surgeon postop along with her to get these kinds of questions answered. It sounds more like a complete gastrectomy than a sleeve gastrectomy, but really only he/she can answer these questions for you with any degree of accuracy.

Take care of yourself and prayers going up for continued healing for her!

What a horrible nightmare for y'all, and I'll keep y'all in my thoughts.

As for the procedure, it sounds as if she had a partial gastrectomy which has been performed since the late 1800's. There is actually a forum on the American Cancer Society dedicated to partial and complete gastrectomy patients that have had the surgery due to stomach cancer. There are other gastrectomy forums out there that might give some insight to how her life will be post-op. I met a woman a few months ago who lost her entire stomach about 10 years ago due to ulcers. They rebuilt her a "stomach" out of intestinal tissue, and she is a lively, active, energetic and above all she was eating normal food. She did take a papaya enzyme and another digestive aid to ensure her food processed properly. She told me that she was diligent with her Vitamins, but had zero regrets and felt as if she was living a full and rewarding life.

I would recommend sharing her story with the band board so others can be aware of what can happen if they experience the same complications/symptoms.

So sorry to hear about your mom's band problems. I'm just glad they got it out! My mother had hers removed in March after it slipped and her stomach herniated up into it after she had thrown up several times. She is so glad to get it out and will be sleeved in August or September. I'm not sure what the difference is with your mom's surgery and a sleeve, but I think no matter what, she is much better off!

Tell her we wish her a speedy recovery!smile.gif

Man, we all feel for you and will remember your Mom in our prayers and thoughts. That is why I didn't want a plastic gizmo in my gut, I would constantly be afraid of something like this happening.

We wish you the best for both you and your Mom - it's tough seeing Mom suffering like that, I'm 50 and lost my Mom a few years back to heart disease and didn't realize what a momma's boy I was - I still miss her.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, but thank God she survived. I'm sure the doctor will tell her what she can and cannot eat, drink, etc.... I waited to do WLS because I refused to do RNY (too evasive) and would NEVER put anything foreign into my body again. I had Norplant in my arm for 5 years and I bled for 5 years! It was horrible!!!

That may be the worst band complication I've heard of. It's absolutely in the top 3. Wow. I'm glad they caught it when they did, and were able to get it taken care of. I've heard of some pretty bad erosion stories, but nothing where the band slipping has led to organ necrosis.

I don't hate my band, I still have it (I'm slipped) and did well with it. But I never saw it as a "forever" solution. I kinda get booed when I say this on LBT, but I personally have no confidence in it as a long-term solution. I've known/met a LOT of people with bands, not even counting the people I "know" online. Looking at those who are 5+ years out, I'd estimate 85% have either lost their bands, or need to (a few are having problems but refuse to seek care). Probably closer to 90% - 95% would have their bands out if aftercare were being used properly.)

I just don't see it having long term viability. (Of course, then is when that 1 person of 400 views adds, "I'm 5 years out and have my band still -- well yeah, me too... and...? Come talk to me in 5 more years. :) )

My dad had his band removed last year. No one knows exactly what happened but my belief is that is placed pressure on his vagus nerve, and over time this progressed to gastroparesis, which lead to about 5 days in the hospital with constant - and I mean constant - vomitting. At some point during the vomitting his band slipped. Of course his surgeon says "we removed it because it was slipped" and forgets to mention the "...after 5 days of profound vomitting, and 2 years of us misdiagnosing a vagus nerve issue as too much fill."

Thanks for your concern every. I read all the responses to mom yesterday. She was very touched!

Good news! Mom came out of surgery icu yesterday and is now in a regular surgical ward. The nurses also had her up and sitiing in a chair already!! Her pain is quite minimal right now as they have a constant epideral drip going. It's great because she lucid, but doesn't have a huge amount of pain. Doctors says a week until she comes home

Tiffykins, thanks for the cancer forum advice. I've been able to find some great info on them!!