Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone here learned (or tried to learn) Tai Chi as an adult? I'm trying, without much success (so far).

What's discouraging me is that I've realized that I've lived my entire life in a sedentary, cerebral manner. While that has benefited me greatly in some ways (I'm super well educated and make lots of money in high tech) in other ways I've missed out -- I was (obviously) obese, and I'm still rather uncoordinated. So, because of this, I decided that maybe studying a gentle fitness/flexibility program like yoga or Tai Chi might help me.

The problem is, I think I'm TOO uncoordinated! I don't have any MEDICAL conditions (meaning, I'm not injured or medically incapable of performing the movements), but I'm having serious problems with muscle memory -- trying to remember the forms and the movements -- in addition to balance (things where you have to stand on one leg or sweep your weight onto a leg or something cause me to almost fall over!)

Is this just typical beginner's problems (I've been to ONE group class, where I was lost, as well as watching some online videos and reading about it, so I'm a true beginner) that I just need to push through, or are some people just not capable of "getting it?"

I'm very curious if anyone on here has tried this sport/fitness program/martial art and can comment.

Hi! I love tai chi! It *is* very difficult to learn if you are not a very physical person, but once you "get it", it is indeed quite cerebral because you have to coordinate your breathing with your movements. You should be in a beginner's class where the focus is on learning the individual movements, not on working through the entire choreography (for lack of a better word). Your instructor should have you working on "poses" that strengthen your muscles for later use. For example, stand with feet shoulder width apart with knees bent to your comfort level. Your arms should make a circle at about chest level. Now, stand there. Close your eyes, tighten your core, and stand there. Focus on deep breathing. And stand there. Eventually, you should be able to be in the deepest squat, like a catcher, with your arms out in front of you, for hours. At least, that is the theory. Not that I can do that....LOL. But if you are in a class where they are going through all the poses then you will definitely be lost. I've never done yoga or pilates. I'm actually enjoying watching tv on the treadmill....in the a/c with the fan on high. hahahaha. I am not really interested in walking outside in NE Florida right now. Or ever, really. Good luck to you! Keep going to the class, though, I think eventually you will enjoy tai chi. Do some reading on the history and theory behind it too ... it will help. :)

xoxoxoxox

Notice you have problems with balance. Something that helped me with balance is my Wii fit. I have the balance board, and I have improved dramaticly from when I started. Hasn't so much helped with weightloss up to this point. But I am soon to remedy that. Good luck to you.

Has anyone here learned (or tried to learn) Tai Chi as an adult? I'm trying, without much success (so far).

What's discouraging me is that I've realized that I've lived my entire life in a sedentary, cerebral manner. While that has benefited me greatly in some ways (I'm super well educated and make lots of money in high tech) in other ways I've missed out -- I was (obviously) obese, and I'm still rather uncoordinated. So, because of this, I decided that maybe studying a gentle fitness/flexibility program like yoga or Tai Chi might help me.

The problem is, I think I'm TOO uncoordinated! I don't have any MEDICAL conditions (meaning, I'm not injured or medically incapable of performing the movements), but I'm having serious problems with muscle memory -- trying to remember the forms and the movements -- in addition to balance (things where you have to stand on one leg or sweep your weight onto a leg or something cause me to almost fall over!)

Is this just typical beginner's problems (I've been to ONE group class, where I was lost, as well as watching some online videos and reading about it, so I'm a true beginner) that I just need to push through, or are some people just not capable of "getting it?"

I'm very curious if anyone on here has tried this sport/fitness program/martial art and can comment.

My balance was truly horrible a couple of yrs ago. I couldn't stand on one leg longer than 10 seconds without tipping over. I usually would catch myself before I hit the floor though. I started with a nice safe yoga class. It was a beginner class where they taught it sitting in a chair a really modified version, and also the regular beginner yoga. Prehaps you should try the modified yoga. My instructor was Joy and I know she has videos that can be bought. You should try that. I know that you may think the sitting is easier, but it's really not. It works all the same muscles without the worry of falling.

I took Tai Chi years ago... Now I take belly dance classes.... and they both have lots of isolations, and layering of multiple movements. If you are not used to doing something like this, it will take a while to get into it and develop your brain and body. I have been dancing for three years, and really I am just starting to get "it". Many sporty people come and go, they say they feel uncoordinated and drop out... the difference between those that get good and those that don't is the ones that get good do not quit. With practice comes grace and strength. I gave myself 5 years to get half way good, and I will definitely need that much time. I also enjoy the class a lot. Find a teacher that teaches to you, not just the class as a whole. Enjoy! Tai Chi is awesome!