Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering the sleeve and terrified.....

I am 31 currently 238. I was 308 about 2 years ago. A few months ago hit 102 weight loss when I got to down to 206. I did it on my own by dieting, (Jenny Craig). I have now started to gain back like I normally do. I want to do the sleeve, out of the 3 options of surgical weight loss this seems the best. I am just so scared of vomiting and getting sick. I never wanted it to come to this. But I can't live like this anymore. How do I get over this fear of surgery? I have had brain surgery, so I am not actually scared of the surgery it self. I am scared of things like stretching out my stomach in the future and regaining. HELP ME!!! I am so miserable, I don't really want to live anymore.

I don't and haven't thrown up with my sleeve at all. I puked up one bite around 3-4 months out, and rarely eat until full so that's a big key to not puking. The other nausea people experience is typically related to putting food in too soon, overeating, or eating too fast which can all be avoided by taking your time while eating. It's all learned behavior so it can be done.

The key to not stretching your stomach (which is nearly impossible because there is not enough tissue left to stretch out) is to measure your portions religiously, and to stop eating before you feel stuffed. Eat your measured portion and be done.

Keep researching, and looking at VSG. It's the best thing I ever did for myself.

Thank you so much for the response. I guess my fear is that I won't be able to stop eating when I am full just like I do now. When I eat, I keep going till nothing is left. What makes me think I would able to stop eating after the surgery. I just feel like I would definitely overeat and in turn become sick and worse off than I am now. I have a serious neurological issue which doctors told me that I NEED to get this weight off. The excess weight is causing pressure on my spinal column and possibly/probably causing left sided numbess and throbbing sensation. I am still scared. Just don't want to get more sick. Thanks again for writing. Wish I knew how things would turn out. Nothing is ever easy...

I don't and haven't thrown up with my sleeve at all. I puked up one bite around 3-4 months out, and rarely eat until full so that's a big key to not puking. The other nausea people experience is typically related to putting food in too soon, overeating, or eating too fast which can all be avoided by taking your time while eating. It's all learned behavior so it can be done.

The key to not stretching your stomach (which is nearly impossible because there is not enough tissue left to stretch out) is to measure your portions religiously, and to stop eating before you feel stuffed. Eat your measured portion and be done.

Keep researching, and looking at VSG. It's the best thing I ever did for myself.

Thank you so much for the response. I guess my fear is that I won't be able to stop eating when I am full just like I do now. When I eat, I keep going till nothing is left. What makes me think I would able to stop eating after the surgery. I just feel like I would definitely overeat and in turn become sick and worse off than I am now. I have a serious neurological issue which doctors told me that I NEED to get this weight off. The excess weight is causing pressure on my spinal column and possibly/probably causing left sided numbess and throbbing sensation. I am still scared. Just don't want to get more sick. Thanks again for writing. Wish I knew how things would turn out. Nothing is ever easy...

As a true volume eater, I never comprehended that I would be mentally satisfied with such small portions until I was post-op. The loss of physical hunger really helped. Even if the sleeve didn't resolve my hunger completely, the instant and constant restriction has totally been the one thing I could rely on to prevent me from overeating. I know it's beyond difficult to comprehend and even accept that the sleeve will work. I never doubt my ability to succeed, but I didn't believe all the hype until I was living with a sleeve.

If you need help, just shoot me a message. I'm always open to help. If you're worried about overeating, I promise measuring your portions with measuring cups or having bowls with exact sizes really helps. There are these Gladware/plasticware bowls that are exact volume measurements that I bought and they really helped me keep my portions on target.