Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know how I'm doing (input welcome).

I was sleeved on May 9, about 6 weeks ago. I have lost 30lbs in those 6 weeks and have not (yet) experienced a stall. But I feel like I'm not doing as well as I should be. I am one of those people who had very little swelling from the get-go and I've been able to eat far more than I feel I should be able to. Maybe the doctor cut me a bigger pouch because I'm so tall and big-framed, I don't know.

I feel restriction but I am able to eat (for example) an entire slice of pizza in a sitting. instead of a 1/4c pouch, I feel full at 3/4 to 1 cup. And all the problems I had before surgery are still there. I'm still struggling to stay on high protein/low carb/low fat. I'm still struggling wtih that mindset that becuase it's there, and because my stomach will let me, I can eat it. I can't eat nearly what I used to, but at the same time I still eat stuff I shouldn't.

I need to do better. whatever weightloss I have enjoyed so far will eventually diminish and halt if I keep this up. But at the same time, am I doing okay as far as the number of pounds in 6 weeks?

It sounds like 30lbs in 6 weeks is fine as it averages out to 5lbs a week. As for the eating stuff we aren't supposed, I can promise that battle doesn't get easier the further out you get. I know it's a tough road to travel, but if you want to maximize this "honeymoon phase" stick to your post-op guideline.

Are you tracking your intake for calories/carbs/protein??? If not, start now, and really get an idea of what you are eating.

You are in 100% control and can succeed. You just have to choose the best option. Can you get into a support group or with a therapist that is experienced with bariatric patients?

I know your not looking for criticism. I just really wish you weren't eating pizza 6 weeks out. Ok that said. I want to help you its such a daily battle and its so hard to say no to things. But remember why you did this. You went through a lot to get here. You should be proud of yourself for having the balls to do this surgery. You can eat a whole slice of pizza because that's a slider food. What about steak or chicken how much can you eat of that. I bet its not the whole piece. You are worth making better decisions on what foods you eat. Good luck to u! Please find the strength to get back on track

I wish I weren't either. LOL! And I had no expectation I would even be able to. But things literally went better than I could have possibly hoped. I'm healing like some kind of regenerating mutant! The only problem I have is 2 of my incision scars still itch. the other three are just smooth, pink outlines.

Although I wouldn't have thought of pizza as a slider food. I keep thinking things like soft breads and mashed potatoes and "mushies" are. pizza is pretty substantial. Maybe I need to redefine that.

As for steak, I just had my first beef yesterday and I ate quite a bit (a 4oz burger patty). I can eat an entire brat (turkey or pork) in one sitting. No bun of course.

I"m thinking of getting back to basics and doing 3-5 days on the Protein shakes and working back up from there. Jump start things a little. I've recently discovered I can take a pepcid in the morning to reduce those tummy rumblings that seem like hunger. I just have to find a way not to succumb to stress eating while I"m at work. I swear to God I've worked here for almost 4 years and I've never seen people bring in so many Snacks as I have since I got surgery. Doughnuts, Cookies, pizza, chocolate chip banana bread. All this stuff people are bringing to share with everyone. Someone brought in a full pan of some kind of delcious looking Pasta last week and it took everything I had not to dive into it.

The journey continues.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I know your not looking for criticism. I just really wish you weren't eating pizza 6 weeks out. Ok that said. I want to help you its such a daily battle and its so hard to say no to things. But remember why you did this. You went through a lot to get here. You should be proud of yourself for having the balls to do this surgery. You can eat a whole slice of pizza because that's a slider food. What about steak or chicken how much can you eat of that. I bet its not the whole piece. You are worth making better decisions on what foods you eat. Good luck to u! Please find the strength to get back on track

I was sleeved on May 9, about 6 weeks ago. I have lost 30lbs in those 6 weeks and have not (yet) experienced a stall. But I feel like I'm not doing as well as I should be. I am one of those people who had very little swelling from the get-go and I've been able to eat far more than I feel I should be able to. Maybe the doctor cut me a bigger pouch because I'm so tall and big-framed, I don't know.

I feel restriction but I am able to eat (for example) an entire slice of pizza in a sitting. instead of a 1/4c pouch, I feel full at 3/4 to 1 cup. And all the problems I had before surgery are still there. I'm still struggling to stay on high protein/low carb/low fat. I'm still struggling wtih that mindset that becuase it's there, and because my stomach will let me, I can eat it. I can't eat nearly what I used to, but at the same time I still eat stuff I shouldn't.

I need to do better. whatever weightloss I have enjoyed so far will eventually diminish and halt if I keep this up. But at the same time, am I doing okay as far as the number of pounds in 6 weeks?

I hear you - I'm also a May 9, and am down about 35 with just a minor 3 wk stall - maybe dropped a pound that week and then back to some reasonable movement. Likewise, I don't feel like I have as much restriction as others have - maybe I just have a looser pyloris? I have never had much restriction with liquids and even the soft stuff like yogurt and puddings go thru fairly quickly. My wife, on the other hand, had a DS about 6 years ago and even with the larger initial stomach she could not drink more than her nominal stomach capacity in a reasonable time - her Protein shakes had to be so concentrated to get enough Protein in her within a reasonable time that it was just gagging, but even within the first week or two I had no problem downing a 1 cup + powder Protein Drink in a reasonable time (maybe 10-15 min), and a 2 cup drink was workable if I was running short on protein that day. Even in the hospital, 10oz or so of broth and juice in a meal was workable.

Solid foods like meats are limited to 3 oz or so, but if I mix some veg into maybe 2 oz of meat then the meal may be 4-5 oz. 1000 cal days are not unusual.

You might ask your doc what size stomach he left you - mine was 2.5 oz.

As with others, pizza is a concern, even if tolerated, mostly from the nutritional density perspective - the crust kills what can otherwise be a reasonably nutritious meal. Even at 6 years out, my wife still only eats the toppings (incl cheese, of course!) and leaves the crust behind (and she's a bread-a-holic.) It sounds like you recognize the problem of your mindset, and now need to learn how to make healthier substitutions so that you can reach and maintain your goal. And learn to follow the first commandment - Protein First!

Good Luck fellow 6 weeker

Why are you eating the pizza. Just eat a cup of cucumbers with a little drizzle of dressing. If you go for pizza, look at it and SAY NO and then immediately pick up the salt shaker and douse the damn thing in salt. This is what I did a restaurants when I still was eating on a plate of food any wasn't hungry anymore! EAT EGG WHITES OR AN EGG. The bread is a no-no. Just eat the topping on the pizza and don't eat the bread. Just think (if you didn't cook the pizza yourself) that someone in the back jizzed on it. Your doing great, but maybe eat something else first.

OMG, I had surgery on 5/4 and I barley can eat 4oz. if that before it makes me full. I guess everyone is different plus my dr still has me on the mushie stage till the 1st week in July. Becareful with pizza and steak........:huh: