Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

Has anyone out there gone the self-pay route? I may have to and I was wondering how deeply in debt I might become. If someone wouldn't mind ballparking I would really appreciate the info.

There have been numerous threads here lately on the costs of self pay. Run a search and you will find TONS of information! Good Luck!

I am self pay on Monday but I'm having it done in Monterrey Mexico with Dr. Sanchez. I'll be having my after care done here by Dr. Curry. It is 8500.00 for the surgery then airfare was 1200.00 so about 10,000.00. Then your fills are free if you have them done in Mexico but I've found it cheaper to have them done here than pay for airfare. Most places I checked in the states was around 16000.00 to 28,000.00. There are many financing options such as health loans and things like that at low interest rates.

Hope this helps. You can find lots of info on this site and many wonderful people.

Sherri

Mine was $17,000 in Everett, WA. Outpatient basis. Included the anesthesiologist one year after care/fills.

I used Dr. Speigel in Houston, TX and the fee was $15,000. Since I had it financed through Capital One, Dr. Speigel also charged an additional $510 fee. The interest rate I secured with Capital One was 9.9% for a five year loan. So, my monthly payments are about $320.

This is a lot of money, but considering that my husband and I were probably spending about $800 a month going out to eat (dinner and lunches), we are actually saving money since the surgery. Not to mention, you can't really put a price on your health and happiness.

I am self pay, I went through the Wish Center in Downer Grove, Il. I was charged about $9800.00 for the lap band (fills not included) It was a good deal for me rather than fly to Mexico

Hello,

I was self-pay, and I think the total was around $18,500. We took out a regular loan at the bank, and I think I borrowed $20,000 just to be safe. My monthly payments are around $400.00. This covered EVERYTHING to do with the surgery, hospital, one night's stay, and four fills afterwards. I love my band, and I don't regret it for a minute. The only time I have any bad thoughts are when I make out that check to the bank every month!

I also was a self pay, I did mine in france, airfare from USA is quite cheap to Europe, can get flights to Paris for under 800 USD with research. The medical care in europe is considered best in france and belgium. Max surgery costs and all inclusive hospital stay was 3500GBP, so roughly 6000USD. I stayed in a private room in an excellent hospital for 5 nights.

I can only highly recommend my surgeon, as he performs this surgery many times a week and has done for a number of years.

Hello.

I'm a self pay via SurgeryLoans. I decided to do my banding through Dr. Sanchez with the Diamond Package for $10,150 which includes my airfare for the surgery and airfare for my next follow-up/fill. My repayments will be under $300 for 60 months.

Thanks for all the input y'all. I did a search of previous threads and found most of what I was looking for. I also saw several posters mentioning lots of paperwork. It seemed that most of it had to do with getting insurance to pay though. What kind of paperwork or tests do most self-payers have to contend with?

I was self pay in Mexico, my SIL and I went together and had it done, we each paid about $7500.00, which included all surgical costs, would cover 1 year of fills, Dr. fees, pre-op testing of bloodwork, EKG,& Xrays, and 1/2 of the cost of our airfare. As for paperwork, we had to have medical records, and forms filled out for the Dr. that they sent to us online. There was a questionairre that I thought was likely ignored, that was done as a psych evaluation, but they questioned one of my SIL's answers and called to talk it over with her. Ends up she was being sarcastic, and with the language barrier, they didn't get it!!!

Kat

Thanks for all the input y'all. I did a search of previous threads and found most of what I was looking for. I also saw several posters mentioning lots of paperwork. It seemed that most of it had to do with getting insurance to pay though. What kind of paperwork or tests do most self-payers have to contend with?

Now THAT was the good part. My surgery center had a nutritionist and psych in the office, so the only paperwork was regarding my health, physical and mental. There was quite a bit of that, but at least there was no fighting with the insurance company.